PDA

View Full Version : Defender 110 v Jeep Unlimited

mlp141
12-16-2007, 12:05 PM
I found this online after actively searching out a direct comparison.

http://www.jeep.co.uk/jeep/pdf/wranglervsdefender.pdf

It is an interesting read and makes the Jeep appear to be a formidable alternative for those of us wanting a 110.

That said, I think one point of interest is that in their comparison of numbers, a non-Rubicon is used and thus the Rubicon option provides better approach/departure/break-over angles. According to the Jeep site, the Rubi numbers are 44.4 deg for approach, 40.5 deg for departure and 20.8 break-over, whereas the article -- based on a Sarah -- lists 38/32/21. It lists the Defender numbers as 49/35/30.

Obviously, the Defender looks 100 times better (are those ungodly fender flares on the Jeep for real?) and it is, after all, a Defender.

But, with an unlimited drive train warranty, is the Jeep really an American 110 (116 actually)?

I’ve never driven a 110 nor have I driven the 4-door Wrangler. My buddy has an ’06 Rubicon 2-door and it’s nice driving for what it is.

Anyone drive the Unlimited? Has anyone here made their own comparison?

Thoughts?

--P

mlp141
07-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Hey -- did anyone happen to SAVE that article? The link is dead but I would like a copy of the PDF.

If anyone saved it, please PM.

spitfire1776
07-15-2008, 01:20 PM
I would not own a Jeep past '96. And then it would have only been a Cherokee, a 94 for a GC and only a CJ for anything else. Other than that I have the firm conviction that the drive trains are ****, and no amount of other numbers can overshadow that. Besides, the frames are weak as hell. Sure you could argue switch out drivetrain, but if you're going that far, you could alter geometry as well.

Comparison? In reality there is none.

And I was a Jeep guy..........

pushngo
07-15-2008, 01:51 PM
I looked at the 4 Door Rubi as a fun thing being "convertable" and all.

The things are a POS in reality. They have a 3500 LB towing capacity and the gas tank and some other stuff hang way down so no real potential for off road The price is great but only real use is something cheap to drive the kids around without a roof, at the beach and we cannot get the 110 here anyway so it's a tough comparison.

Ask Trevor G on Thurs he had one at Moab with a 3" lift

mlp141
08-03-2008, 05:26 PM
I am actually considering one. They aren't a 110 -- I accept that. But what options are there in that price range? I am turned off by the FJs. I have low expectations of the H3. Nothing Land Rover puts out fits the bill.

Trevor G -- what was it like driving one? What setup were you in (manual or auto trans? Lockers? etc.)

Anyone else have any 4-door Wrangler experience?

Trevor
08-03-2008, 07:39 PM
I am actually considering one. They aren't a 110 -- I accept that. But what options are there in that price range?

Why not this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___2002-MERCEDES-BENZ-G500-WINTER-PKG-NICE-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ180271309137QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Truc ksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180271309137&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245.l1318

Obviously it's not new, but it's much newer than any Defender available state side. This one, for example, is about 4k less than a base unlimited rubi. I know the G-wagen is a "particularly gay 4x4", and that LR rust holes for sale on ebay are not compatible, but I think I could get past that.

P.S. I'm not sure what your needs are, but for the price a new Unlimited Rubicon you could buy a brand new fuel efficient car (pick your make and model) and one extremely well built disco to play with.

rvrsrvc
08-04-2008, 05:46 AM
It was a rental so it probably didn't have an easy life, but it it was adequate. The a/c was struggling in 100* dry heat-the 3 year old in the car seat wasn't ever comfortable.
It rode ok, but the taller tires seemed to sap all the power. It stopped okay, had a bunch of warning lights on (but I was told to ignore them-apparently they were all on due to suspension mods and lower tire pressures?)
We didn't really do anything that would have challenged it, but the only signifigant obstacle had to endure wheel spin and scraping sounds. We made it back and had 15mpg for 180 miles, including the 14 miles of off road.

galen211
08-04-2008, 09:28 AM
What about your series? For the cost of that Jeep your series could be a very nice truck.....