PDA

View Full Version : SCC Feb 16 & 17 2008

crazyfish
12-17-2007, 11:02 PM
UPDATE - THIS EVENT IS FULL. DO NOT SEND MONEY. BACK UP LIST IS BELOW.

ROVERS Club is once again going to SCC. Evan Price is opening up his rustic hunting cabin to the club. First to pay gets on the list. This event only holds 25 max. One of the most popular events of the year.

Official List will be on this post. IF YOU CANCEL PLEASE LET US KNOW.

Yes, you to will be able to answer the question...."Have you ever been to a real live hunt'n camp?"

So get your cards and letters in early.. $25 per truck and driver ...$5 per passenger.

We'll meet in Canadensis, PA (intersection of Rts 447 & 390) at 8:30 Saturday morning departing for the gate at 9:00 sharp. We meet at the Church Parking lot. Coming from the south on 447, turn left onto 390 go 100 feet, look to your right. Google map link http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=Canadensis,+PA+18325&ie=UTF8&ll=41.185501,-75.250425&spn=0.060331,0.073214&z=14&om=1

FOOD: Saturday Night TBA .Bring a bag lunch for Saturday to have on the trail.. Sunday breakfast.. bring something to share..
STUFF: For folks who haven't made it yet , bring a sleeping bag or bedding, personal items , beverage of choice, snacks to share .

Trails vary ...most are moderate, there are a few difficult areas.. If there is snow,chains are STRONGLY recomended..

For the ladies... A few camp improvements.. We installed an actual shower with real tile ... and an incinerator toilet.. yes ladies indoor plumbing !

Gallery http://gallery.roversclub.org/thumbnails.php?album=1

OFFICIAL LIST. ( count = 25) IF you have been before, pay at event. Other payment details to follow. Updated FEB 12
Evan & 2 kids - Series
Scott Price & David
Tom & Mira - Range Rover
Sean- Series
Randy Williams & Guest - Disco I
Larry & David - Series
Frank - Strange Rover
Trevor II
FlippedRover - D-90
Oscar
Steve Hoare - Series I
John Bradshaw
Bill and Molly Bettridge
Gerry
Galen
Roverman
Ryan - MDDisco

Unknown:
Maryland Greg - Series

Frank84
12-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Sign me up!!!

Sure Mike - you can catch a ride in the strange rover. It has been upgraded since you last saw it. I bought "all terrain" rubber floor mats from Walmart!

Trevor
12-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Sign me up! My check and form will be in the mail in the morning.

Frank84
12-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Where exactly is this event? City? Thanks!

It is near Canadensis, PA.

galen211
12-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Michael,

send your check to Tom @ PO BOX 43, Avondale, PA 19311 and make it payable to ROVERS. You address the letter to ROVERS too, it'll get there.

flippedrover
12-23-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm there. And let it be a repeat of last years snow fall. Oh and I'll bring pork products to fry for breakfast.

David Price
12-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi To all,
Just an fyi for you cabin dwelers at SCC. There is a TV and a DVD player.
Microwave for any thing (popcorn) and bring your fav CD's juest installed a new player.

Scott(evans better looking brother) Price
Cell 570/460/8451
gsprice@ptd.net

rvrsrvc
01-08-2008, 01:50 PM
2.5 hours from my house, in a coil sprung v8. Re-thinking taking the Series. I would also have to go to Baltimore that Friday to pick up Tyler, turn around and then go to Canadensis.
Should be there by midnight.

crazyfish
01-08-2008, 11:04 PM
FYI

The "cabin" is broken into 3 sleeping areas - Ladies, Mens, and main room. The max is 25 people but due to lower number of women, the actual number may be lower or you get to sleep on the floor.

Get your money in now......

Frank84
01-09-2008, 02:34 PM
And was there a Paypal acct I could send payment to?? I will include the extra 3%.

Not too sure how you would do that - someone might have to set that up. Probably easiest to just pay cash when you get there.

oscar
01-09-2008, 09:40 PM
or you get to sleep on the floor

Bear rug in front of the fire......:D

crazyfish
01-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Bear rug in front of the fire......:D
That's not a bear, that's Evan.

oscar
01-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Sam would get jealous.:eek:

lr03nj
01-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Hi I'm new to this forum and live in NJ. I would like to know how to join the event. Any website to sign up or contacts. Thank you - Gerry

crazyfish
01-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Welcome aboard. Just say " I want to go to a real live hunting camp" and we'll add you to the list.

lr03nj
01-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Welcome aboard. Just say " I want to go to a real live hunting camp" and we'll add you to the list.

I want to go to a real live hunting camp! Thanks - Gerry

crazyfish
01-13-2008, 11:11 PM
ok, Gerry you're in. Send a check to Tom - address a few pages back. What are you driving?

flippedrover
01-14-2008, 07:22 PM
so is it about a 4hr trek from Baltimore?
I'd say yes. Its a little over 5 hours for me from Va.

rvrsrvc
01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Tyler, and anybody travelling from the south, if I take the Series, I'm going Friday night and will probably grab a hotel room. (Can't imagine I'd get to Canadensis area before 8pm!) Want to meet up?

lr03nj
01-14-2008, 11:42 PM
ok, Gerry you're in. Send a check to Tom - address a few pages back. What are you driving?

Hi Crazyfish, Im driving a '03 Disco stock. Only upgrade I got was the lockable lug nuts. Not trail ready yet. I got the address of Tom - Gerry

Frank84
01-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Hi Crazyfish, Im driving a '03 Disco stock. Only upgrade I got was the lockable lug nuts. Not trail ready yet. I got the address of Tom - Gerry

depending on the conditions - you may want snow chains

lr03nj
01-15-2008, 12:09 PM
depending on the conditions - you may want snow chains
Hi Bob,
I saw RUD snow chains from one of the post. Are there dealers around NJ? I guess those are ok for the trip.
Thanks - Gerry

pushngo
01-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Hi Bob,
I saw RUD snow chains from one of the post. Are there dealers around NJ? I guess those are ok for the trip.
Thanks - Gerry

Go to snowchains.com and there is another site that sells chains direct both in PA I believe.

Evan
01-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Rudd's are a great chains but they're for on road use. Many a set of rudd's and rudd knock off have been ruined at this event . If you plan to use you chains offroad get the old style cross tread link ..start you search here.. tirechains.com . If there is snow on the ground at camp ( and there currently is:) ) I strongly recomend at least on set of standard chains .

galen211
01-15-2008, 03:02 PM
How much snow you have right now Evan?

lr03nj
01-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Go to snowchains.com and there is another site that sells chains direct both in PA I believe.
Hi Pushngo and Evan,
Checked snowchains.com, there UK side and tirechains.com is State side. Is one set needed or two? Thanks again for advice. - Gerry

flippedrover
01-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Tyler, and anybody travelling from the south, if I take the Series, I'm going Friday night and will probably grab a hotel room. (Can't imagine I'd get to Canadensis area before 8pm!) Want to meet up?
Let me know what time you want to meet and I'll be there.

Evan
01-15-2008, 06:53 PM
How much snow you have right now Evan?
Ground was still covered last weekend(hard, icy crust) at the camp ..Considering we had two days in the 60's here in Allentown last week ... Given its about 20 dregrees cooler at the cabin than it is in Allentown .. Watch the weather for Skytop Pa.

Evan
01-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi Pushngo and Evan,
Checked snowchains.com, there UK side and tirechains.com is State side. Is one set needed or two? Thanks again for advice. - Gerry

One set should do ya.. If your planning on offroading more than this I'd go with the heavyer cross-link style chains . Pick up a repair kit for them also (usually a few quick links and an extra cross chain or two)

mlp141
01-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi Bob,
Thanks - Gerry

Hi Gerry -- I have a like new set for stock Disco tires that I got from tirechains.com a few years back. I used them once I think (at SCC) but I sold my Disco and no longer need them. If you are interested let me know.

lr03nj
01-16-2008, 02:52 AM
Hi Gerry -- I have a like new set for stock Disco tires that I got from tirechains.com a few years back. I used them once I think (at SCC) but I sold my Disco and no longer need them. If you are interested let me know.
My tires are 255x55x18. What size was yours?

mlp141
01-16-2008, 08:43 AM
I had 16s -- and I am pretty sure the stock size was 255/65/16. I'm not sure if the tire chains would fit your setup since they are 18s, but I am guessing not.

According to an online tire comparison site, the 18s are .6" larger in diameter. Not sure how that translates to chain size.

Anyone know?

galen211
01-16-2008, 09:06 AM
I had 16s -- and I am pretty sure the stock size was 255/65/16. I'm not sure if the tire chains would fit your setup since they are 18s, but I am guessing not.

According to an online tire comparison site, the 18s are .6" larger in diameter. Not sure how that translates to chain size.

Anyone know?

Do you still have the package? Most tire chains fit a large group of sizes that are listed on the package. With a part number you may find the info online too.

galen211
01-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Don't hold me to this but it looks like I am now in. Jess thought her conference was over the preceding weekend, but it is actually during the week. So I can take her out the weekend before and come to SCC the next weekend!

Now I just have to get my frame patched.

pushngo
01-16-2008, 09:45 AM
My 18s and 16s were the same diameter and the width differance would probably be fine with the chain adjustments bring em up we will get them to work

ROVERMAN1
01-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Hello Guys, I have been out of the country for several months, but I am back. Can I pay my membership and the fee for the event on that day? I want to sign in.

Thanks.

Freddie Valentin

Frank84
01-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Hello Guys, I have been out of the country for several months, but I am back. Can I pay my membership and the fee for the event on that day? I want to sign in.

Thanks.

Freddie Valentin

Membership you could pay there - bring a check or $25 cash (exact change would be nice :) ) or you could go to the membership section and use paypal (which accepts major credit cards). I think they are letting people pay at the event - someone will probably speak up if i'm wrong.

pygmypotomus
01-17-2008, 05:00 PM
I'd love to attend but my Shaun will not be ready for a 2 hr highway trip. Is there any space for a spectator / learner? I will happily provide acupuncture and bodywork (for humans, not vehicles, sorry) for everyone.

galen211
01-17-2008, 05:12 PM
I'd love to attend but my Shaun will not be ready for a 2 hr highway trip. Is there any space for a spectator / learner? I will happily provide acupuncture and bodywork (for humans, not vehicles, sorry) for everyone.

Just bring it, Rovers can handle way more than you would ever expect. If it can drive around town, it can take the trip, just use back roads. Larry C is coming up from your way and he probably knows a good route AND he is a nice guy that might let you follow.

crazyfish
01-17-2008, 05:53 PM
You can always catch a ride, but get on the list quick!

Evan
01-17-2008, 06:53 PM
I'll have my two kids along ..looks like we're full if Pygmy is joining the group

PLEASE if your not going to make the event let us know as each year we turn folks away then have room

pygmypotomus
01-17-2008, 07:04 PM
I left a msg with my friend Heather who'd supposed to be visiting that weekend from Seattle. If she isn't coming, or if she is but wants to do this (she rides a motorcycle and would love this) I'm in. I don't want to officially save a space though, in case someone else wants to squeeze in.

crazyfish
01-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Due to the way the cabin is laid out, two more women would work out fine.

Otherwise it is FULL. Please tell us if you can not make it.
Starting a back up list.

GrFa
01-18-2008, 03:37 AM
Is Saturday mostly trails? If so, any room for a daytripper?

After 2 1/2 years I drove my series for the first time yesterday! I was going to try and make it all the way up to the Romp but really I think I could save myself from all of that for its first shakedown run. Spruce Cabin is less than 100 miles from home for me and I just caught this thread now.

I would love to show up, pay my club dues (now that I actually have a running and driving rover), and hang out for the day on the trails. Here's a picture of my now running/driving/registered 71 IIA:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/G95M3/land%20rover/drivingLR001.jpg

After so much time and money invested it still looks like such a beater, but at least I don't have to worry about it getting scratched offroad :D

MDDisco
01-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Is it seriously full? Darnit

Just talk to my GF last night and she said she stay home and watch the dog . I can always sleep on the womens side to even everything out.

MDDisco
01-18-2008, 12:03 PM
If there is a spot open I will take it. Let me know!

ROVERMAN1
01-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Hey guys,

I will be driving from Rockville MD. Are there any others in the area? Maybe we car get a group of trucks and ride together or meet somewhere along the way. :D

MDDisco
01-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Roverman,
Im in Whitemarsh right off 95 so... If theres a spot, we could convoy.

p.s. your not driving a series are you? my rover has ADD doesnt go that slow on the highway.

pygmypotomus
01-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Made the mistake of telling Matt (husband) about this. Now he wants to come. I know the cabin is full... can we camp out?

Evan
01-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Made the mistake of telling Matt (husband) about this. Now he wants to come. I know the cabin is full... can we camp out?

If your OK with winter camping. It can be cold .

Evan
01-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Is Saturday mostly trails? If so, any room for a daytripper?

After 2 1/2 years I drove my series for the first time yesterday! I was going to try and make it all the way up to the Romp but really I think I could save myself from all of that for its first shakedown run. Spruce Cabin is less than 100 miles from home for me and I just caught this thread now.

I would love to show up, pay my club dues (now that I actually have a running and driving rover), and hang out for the day on the trails. Here's a picture of my now running/driving/registered 71 IIA:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/G95M3/land%20rover/drivingLR001.jpg

After so much time and money invested it still looks like such a beater, but at least I don't have to worry about it getting scratched offroad :D

The Cabin is about as remote as you can get in the eastren part of Pa. To get to the camp from the paved road is a trip itself as its five miles off the pavement behind a locked gate . Hence we go in as a group Saturday AM . Caravan leaves promptly at 9:00 AM . Well depart on Sunday after a few trails as a group for the gate .

flippedrover
01-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Hey guys,

I will be driving from Rockville MD. Are there any others in the area? Maybe we car get a group of trucks and ride together or meet somewhere along the way. :D
I'm over near Dulles will be leaving Friday to met up with Trevor I'm assuming at his house if you want to met me in Fredneck its on the way.

GrFa
01-19-2008, 07:25 PM
The Cabin is about as remote as you can get in the eastren part of Pa. To get to the camp from the paved road is a trip itself as its five miles off the pavement behind a locked gate . Hence we go in as a group Saturday AM . Caravan leaves promptly at 9:00 AM . Well depart on Sunday after a few trails as a group for the gate .

Ahh I get it so no real way to just go for the day. I guess I'll catch the next event, perhaps Robesonia in the spring.

crazyfish
01-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Would you like to get on the alternate list? There are usually two or three last minutes cancels...... Plus, I'd like to see more Series :)

GrFa
01-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Would you like to get on the alternate list? There are usually two or three last minutes cancels...... Plus, I'd like to see more Series :)

Alright crazy, put me up on the alternate list. It would probably be me and my father or a friend if anything. If there isn't enough room just me, or maybe I could talk a female companion into going. It would be hard to choose which one though, which I'm sure you guys can relate to.

MDDisco
01-20-2008, 10:08 AM
anyone have some 18" "rent-a chains"?

David Price
01-21-2008, 10:36 AM
To all,
We were back on sunday with the 95 Disco. Aprox 3" packed snow on the main trail to camp. 3" to 5" on the back trails. Some underlying ice.
Temp in the 12 to 14 degree range. if the cold weather holds and we have some
intermint snow, good time should be had by all.:)
Scott

pygmypotomus
01-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Heather is out. She's visiting another time.

Matt & I will be there. If there's no room in the cabin, we'll camp. :D

GrFa
01-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Matt & I will be there. If there's no room in the cabin, we'll camp. :D

Camping, now thats an idea. Maybe I can camp too if I don't get a spot. I'll set my truck on fire for warmth.

ROVERMAN1
01-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Roverman,
Im in Whitemarsh right off 95 so... If theres a spot, we could convoy.

p.s. your not driving a series are you? my rover has ADD doesnt go that slow on the highway.

I am driving an 88 RRC. Do you have an exact address to do a Mapquest. I could meet you there. When are you planning to leave?

ROVERMAN1
01-22-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm over near Dulles will be leaving Friday to met up with Trevor I'm assuming at his house if you want to met me in Fredneck its on the way.

Do you have an exact address to do a Mapquest? At what time are you leaving?

MDDisco
01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
What time is the group plan on getting to the cabin??

I will leave 4.5 hours prios to that. Mapquest is calling for almost 4 hrs but by the time you figure in gas, food stop... 4.5 hrs.

4216 maple path circle
baltimore, md 21236

Let me know!

pushngo
01-22-2008, 05:32 PM
What time is the group plan on getting to the cabin??

I will leave 4.5 hours prios to that. Mapquest is calling for almost 4 hrs but by the time you figure in gas, food stop... 4.5 hrs.

4216 maple path circle
baltimore, md 21236

Let me know!

1st page says they are leaving town at 9 sharp depending on conditions they will be at the cabin between 10 and 12 the gate is locked so you need to be in town by 8:45ish

flippedrover
01-22-2008, 06:04 PM
My advise is to go up Friday and grab a hotel. Its so much nicer getting up a 7am instead of 3am.

MDDisco
01-22-2008, 06:17 PM
When you meaning leaving town, you mean the town up near the cabin? Or leaving the from lower PA?

pushngo
01-22-2008, 07:55 PM
When you meaning leaving town, you mean the town up near the cabin? Or leaving the from lower PA?

The town near the cabin, Canadensis

ROVERMAN1
01-23-2008, 07:27 AM

The time that you are planning to leave from where you live. So I can meet you somewhere and caravan to the cabin.

MDDisco
01-23-2008, 08:45 AM
roverman,
sent you an email

ROVERMAN1
01-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Could someone please give me the exact address of our meeting location. I need to get directions from MAPQUEST to get there. Thank you. I am coming from Rockville MD.

galen211
01-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Could someone please give me the exact address of our meeting location. I need to get directions from MAPQUEST to get there. Thank you. I am coming from Rockville MD.

The only directions we can give you are Canadensis, PA. Believe me when I say, once you are there you won't have trouble finding us. It's that small. When you come into town there is a convenience store/restaurant on the right side and a church parking lot on the left. That church lot is the meeting place and you won't miss the 10-20 Rovers parked there.

galen211
01-25-2008, 11:23 AM
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=canadensis&state=pa&zipcode=

flippedrover
01-25-2008, 11:37 AM
270N to Rt-15N
Rt-15N to Pa-581E Harrisburg Expressway
I-83N via left exit
I-81N towards Hazelton
I-80E towards Stroudsburg
I-380N via left exit towards Scranton
Take exit 3 Pa-940 towards Pocono
Right on 611/940
Left 940
Left 390
Go about 5.5 miles and look for the Rovers in the parking lot on the left next to the church.

ROVERMAN1
01-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks guys

flippedrover
02-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Do we know what the conditions are up there?

Evan
02-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Ground is covered with 2 to 6 inches of hard snow/ice . Depends on what the temps do.....and rainfall as to what we'll encounter for the event . If conditions stay as they are now chains will be needed for the trails , should be OK to get to the camp with out them.. Be advised conditions can vary. We've had 60 degrees and sunshine to below zero with knee deep snow for this event . Watch the weather for Skytop,Pa. ...Be prepared :)

pygmypotomus
02-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Yikes, we haven't any chains and no funding to acquire them. :(

crazyfish
02-06-2008, 02:38 PM
extra sets usually show up and you have a series....

pushngo
02-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Yikes, we haven't any chains and no funding to acquire them. :(

If it snows you won't need chains just don't try and break trail. If it is real icy you just won't be able to do some of the off shoots. We will get you through.

pygmypotomus
02-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Ok then, getting excited about this. Still no takers for a Friday night crash-space share? Ryan, Matt and I are thinking cheapo hotel room at this point.

galen211
02-07-2008, 04:08 PM
It looks as though I will be trailering the Rover to SCC. Will the church be cool with a truck/trailer in their lot or do you think I can make it back to the cabin?

Evan
02-07-2008, 04:28 PM
what are you pulling it with ? Shouldn't be an issue if the trailer is unloaded .. Can't leave it at the church.:confused: They get a little busy on Sunday morning :)

galen211
02-07-2008, 04:32 PM
My blue beast, an F150 4x4.

Evan
02-07-2008, 04:50 PM
It should walk right in.. does it have disc brakes ? ;)

crazyfish
02-09-2008, 04:59 PM
updates- we are full. If you are on the list and can not make please post or call. Please read post #1 for details.

flippedrover
02-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Never mind I'll be there thanks to Trevor and some frozen hands and redneckgineering I'll be hot wiring my way to SCC.

pygmypotomus
02-11-2008, 07:39 PM
We had dual car issues today.
Preston (London Taxi) is suddenly leaking oil at a horrifying rate.
Shaun (Landy) lost his bonnet latch on the road and it flew open. The hinge is ok but the front pin / hook / spring assembly came off in Matt's hand. He tossed the bonnet in the bed and drove home with a nekkid engine.

I think the kids are trying to tell us they don't like it when we trade cars for the day.

Anyway, are there people who really want our spot? Cash is getting tighter by the minute.

galen211
02-12-2008, 09:13 AM
We had dual car issues today.
Preston (London Taxi) is suddenly leaking oil at a horrifying rate.
Shaun (Landy) lost his bonnet latch on the road and it flew open. The hinge is ok but the front pin / hook / spring assembly came off in Matt's hand. He tossed the bonnet in the bed and drove home with a nekkid engine.

I think the kids are trying to tell us they don't like it when we trade cars for the day.

Anyway, are there people who really want our spot? Cash is getting tighter by the minute.

I have a free spare bonnet in the garage if yours got dinged up. Also, buy the locking hasp for a bonnet, it's for a padlock so no one can steal parts but sounds like it would have prevented what happened. Aren't Rovers fun?

crazyfish
02-12-2008, 12:54 PM
We had our first official cancellation, MDDisco, you are now on the list to go.

pygmypotomus
02-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Good news: In the dark Matt couldn't tell, but the latch had simply unscrewed. It's now put back together and happy.

Bad news: The starter is now dead. Anybody have one handy? We just got a ride home to our :eek: empty driveway.

galen211
02-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Where's your handcrank?:D

mlp141
02-12-2008, 03:04 PM
A little push and a pop of the clutch always works ... it was my normal operating procedure in my '88 Escort!

Evan
02-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Forecast for low of 5 and a high of 25 for the weekend. Bring your mittens!

Hourly forecast (next 48 hours)
Five-day forecast (Details)
Tomorrow
Feb 13Sprinkles Thursday
Feb 14Fair Friday
Feb 15Cloudy Saturday
Feb 16Scattered Flurries Sunday
Feb 17Flurries
Hi: 37°
Lo: 20°
Hi: 33°
Lo: 14°
Hi: 36°
Lo: 16°
Hi: 25°
Lo: 5°
Hi: 24°
Lo: 9°

Detailed ten-day forecast
Weather maps

pygmypotomus
02-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Matt & I are officially bowing out. :( I'm so sorry for the late notice, but it looks like we have some electrical troubles to overcome.

Please give our spot to the next sucker, er, diehard on the list.

galen211
02-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Forecast called for 2"-4" here in State College so far we have something like 8"-10", can't wait to see what SCC got!

So in honor of SCC went for a quick cruise on a local state forest road. She's looking good on the new tires.

pygmypotomus
02-12-2008, 07:48 PM
NO FAIR!!!! It's ultra-Rover weather outside, and I wanna go play. :mad:

GrFa
02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Matt & I are officially bowing out. :( I'm so sorry for the late notice, but it looks like we have some electrical troubles to overcome.

Please give our spot to the next sucker, er, diehard on the list.

OO OO Does that mean there is an open spot for me? I am indeed a diehard sucker. If so I'd have to start making some arrangements asap (getting the truck out of the body shop for starters) !!!

EDIT Just kidding the truck is taken apart and waiting for parts to arrive. Looks like I will not be going.

rvrsrvc
02-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Pygmy-ck out this tale of woe in the fun weather: The RRC SWB has a flat battery and the 109 spins the starter motor but not enough to engage the bendix. So I decide to grab the disco as it has the winch to drag the 109 inside the shop- I figure it'll be a quick fix. Stone, cold dead. So dead, that after jumping, the engine dies when the frozen winch is engaged. Fine. I'll get the new Kubota going and push the 109 inside. Fuel has gelled and that won't run either.
By now the RRC has charged enough to start and i try to use that to pull the 109 up the drive to roll down hill into the shop. Try to roll start, find clutch frozen. Drag it back up, managed to get it half in to the shop. Still no tractor or winch. Decided to push 109 w/ lifted RRC and a tyre as a cushion. Manage to break grille on 109 (why plastic?). Give up.
At least i did get to drive my neighbor Trevor's Rangie back and forth to put his diff guards on. That was fun on MT's!

rvrsrvc
02-12-2008, 08:33 PM
I almost forgot why i was checking on this thread! When we got back from San Antonio last week, i was immediately set upon by some horrible flu bug. I've been out of commission for over 5 days and still haven't gotten my voice back.
Andrea and Max are also ill, but not in the same way, so I am officially cancelling my reservation for the cabin this weekend. Even the dog seems to have a cold-lots of sneezing and a wet, wet nose.
Sigh, I haven't been able to make this trip for at least 4 years now...

pygmypotomus
02-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Pygmy-ck out this tale of woe in the fun weather:

That's hard-core frozen, indeed.

Last night, driving home, Dr. Matt dealt not only with the blown-off bonnet, but standing in the cold for an hour (literally) next to a woman and her wrecked car. She had a history of heart trouble and he wanted to stay with her while waiting for tow / police / EMT assistance. The cop was amazed he waited. I'm amazed - not pleasantly - at their response time.

When he got home, he said "I can't feel anything below my hat."

crazyfish
02-12-2008, 09:41 PM
List Updated, sorry to see you cancel. GrFa, you don't have to have your rover... Anyone else want on the list? Yell at me if I missed something.

Trevor
02-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Trevor, Thanks for getting the diff guards on. Sorry to hear about the all the sickness going on down the road. I'm not sure which is more tragic, the illness that struck your family or your fleet. Just kidding, family's always first, but I hope my rangie didn't catch anything. Hope everyone is feeling better soon. I'll stop by to settle my debts. Thanks again, Trevor II

mlp141
02-13-2008, 07:57 AM
I was diagnosed with Lymes disease a few weeks back and thought that I'd be in good enough shape for SCC, but I think it best if I stay home over that long weekend. It kills me to not go but health is health.

That said, please pass along my spot to the next willing participant.

Whomever that is, enjoy it -- it is an awesome experience!

galen211
02-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Sorry to hear you aren't going to make it Michael, hope you feel better soon. Maybe next year will be in your own vehicle again!

And same for the Griffiths family, feel better soon!

Frank84
02-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Wow! A lot of sick people and sick cars!

The strange rover is currently undergoing some minor dashboard surgery to fix a very innacurate and noisy speedometer. It also needs an oil change and swivel ball oil but it will be ready to go this weekend. All I need is 3 hours of nice weather outside to get those things done.

flippedrover
02-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Wow! A lot of sick people and sick cars!

The strange rover is currently undergoing some minor dashboard surgery to fix a very innacurate and noisy speedometer. It also needs an oil change and swivel ball oil but it will be ready to go this weekend. All I need is 3 hours of nice weather outside to get those things done.
Oh come on. I spent today 45 minutes wiring a bypass to the starter relay in the sleet. It was umm fun?

flippedrover
02-17-2008, 10:13 PM
I managed to make it out to the gas station with four tenths of a gallon in the tank!!

oscar
02-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Plenty. :D

galen211
02-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks to Evan and everyone who gives us the opportunity to enjoy this awesome place each year!

80-One
02-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Evan, many thanks for a great weekend!

English

LC Rover
02-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Evan, Tom, et. al.
Another out standing weekend, Thanks
LC Rover

Frank84
02-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Had an awesome time this weekend!

crazyfish
02-19-2008, 12:33 AM
I'd like to thank Rovers North for the prizes of nice gift certificates. Frank won the trivia contest $50, Freddy won the Most Improved Driver $100 and Galen won the Diff Guard for some valid reason ( or he was the only guy who found that one rock in the middle of the woods )

Thanks to Evan and family for this event. Food was great, trails were fun and it was nice to meet the new folks and catch up with the regulars.

galen211
02-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Don't forget RovahFarm donated some prizes as well.

http://www.rovahfarm.com/

and

www.roversnorth.com

flippedrover
02-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Don't forget RovahFarm donated some prizes as well.

www.rovhafarm.com

and

www.roversnorth.com
Umm the rovhafarm link doesn't work.

crazyfish
02-19-2008, 09:45 AM
fixed it.

firemanshort
02-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Ok - all you cool guys had great fun out in the snow and the photos show about half of you with chains on 4 wheels, some with chains on 2 wheels and others going 'naked'. What was the summary opinion on the extra tire jewelery? Where they needed? Overkill? Cumbersome?

Flatlanders in warm climates need to know!!!!

ROVERMAN1
02-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks to everyone who helped put this event together. It was simply great!!!!!!!!! Also, thanks for all the good advise I got, it helped me a lot.

I only got one real scare on the way down the hill. The snow had turned to ice and it became very slippery, specially without chains :eek: but at the end we all made it out in one piece. Now, time to go spend my $100 certificate :D

See you at the next event!!!!!!!!!!!!!

galen211
02-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Ok - all you cool guys had great fun out in the snow and the photos show about half of you with chains on 4 wheels, some with chains on 2 wheels and others going 'naked'. What was the summary opinion on the extra tire jewelery? Where they needed? Overkill? Cumbersome?

Flatlanders in warm climates need to know!!!!

I was one of the ones w/o chains and IMO they were not needed this time around. Sunday there was a downhill that was very slippery and other than that I never felt I needed them.

Last year they had 12" of snow, that was a different story.

flippedrover
02-19-2008, 10:41 PM
I drove around Sunday without chains on AT and there were a couple of street tired discos that did fine. We needed them if you were breaking trail.

oscar
02-20-2008, 06:31 AM
Sunday there was a downhill that was very slippery and other than that I never felt I needed them.

Preceeded by the uphill that gave rise to Mr. Toads wild ride.....chains would have saved me. I will have them on next time.