PDA

View Full Version : '73 Double Cab

scatterling
12-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Found this truck in Reading. Owner says motor and frame are both fine, truck is originally from South Africa so RHD. Needs paint ( but not desperately), bulkhead showing some rust, odometer reads 90 thousand ish ( but who knows) Salisbury rear, canvas looks good. He says all works as it should.

I met him last year, he had another '62 I wanted (:( no luck) really nice gentleman - could talk to him for hours. I said I would put the truck up here for him, he wants $5000 and not a penny less. Cool truck. Get a hold of me if anyone is interested and I'll pass along his info.

crazyfish
12-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Oh Galen.......

spechols
12-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Oh Galen.......
I 2nd that - "Oh Galen"!!!

rvrsrvc
12-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Andrea said she'd prefer a LWB! Tell me more!

galen211
12-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Did somebody give this guy my number? Because someone called me this morning about a truck for sale.

Neil, find out some more info if you get a chance. I might be interested, but I am leaving for NC right now and won't be back till Friday/Saturday.

I'd like to know if it has a Rover drivetrain, frame pics, bulkhead pics, etc....all the usual stuff.

Later,
G

scatterling
12-22-2007, 05:07 PM
i'll see what I can come up with...enjoy NC
Happy Holidays!!

p.s. I'll be up around your area next weekend (philipsburg)...maybe I'll see you

Tom109
12-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Hey, I'm only 30min from Philipsburg (NJ). Isn't that kinda far from you Galen?

Tom P.

scatterling
12-23-2007, 10:38 AM
philipsburg PA....State College area :D in da mountains

spechols
12-23-2007, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=Tom109]Hey, I'm only 30min from Philipsburg (NJ). Isn't that kinda far from you Galen?
QUOTE]
It is near Port Matilda.
I am home for the week and I think Sven is too.

sven
12-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Its about 15-20 minutes from us. Wow ANOTHER LR in Centre County?

rvrsrvc
12-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Well, it looks like I am the proud owner of a Series Rover to compliment the Discovery and the SWB Classic!

crazyfish
12-29-2007, 08:41 PM
damn you! If only I had a bigger yard, a bigger garage, a fatter checkbook, no wife, no neighbors more tools, some actual knowledge......

Now give us the run down...

rvrsrvc
12-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Well, the bulkhead is toast and the bottoms of the front doors are not far behind. Frame is quite impressive.
It started and ran reasonably well after sitting for four months. Fixed an inline fuel filter leak that was depositing fuel right into the #1 spark plug boot, and it ran better (and safer). Needs a little fine tuning and some electrical stuff. Turn on the lights and the horn blows, the heater fan is noisy.
We drove about 5-8 miles and it would pull a reasonable grade with three of us in it, in fourth gear , without any drama. The suspension doesn't bash and crash, the clutch was stuck but loosened easily, the brakes are right there, the exhaust is quiet, the trans/transfer/diffs seem good. Engine had a little rattle that seemed to get better as temp increased. Who knows how old the oil is.
LRX had S3's from 2k to 19k. I'm happy with the price as it runs and drives well. The body is mostly straight but the bulkhead and the paint quality are rough.
Maybe I'll bring it to SCC?
I don't forsee any restoration happening any time soon. I figure I'll put a historic tag on it and drive it after fixing a few of the issues.
Oh, and I'll fit my extra set of NATO wheels-don't care for the white wagon wheels much.
Now, what tyres should I fit.... I'm about to buy a set of Yokohama MT's in the 235 85 size for one of the 88's here. They are cheap enough; we'll have to see how well they balance up.
Bud is quite an intersting guy with grand stories to tell. Coulda sat around for hours just listening to the stuff. He even gave me a Lucas Service ash tray he had laying around when I came up to see the Rover Thursday!

scatterling
12-30-2007, 09:55 PM
...very glad the truck went to a good home, congrats.
Happy New Year
Neil

flippedrover
12-31-2007, 02:41 AM
Well, the bulkhead is toast and the bottoms of the front doors are not far behind. Frame is quite impressive.
It started and ran reasonably well after sitting for four months. Fixed an inline fuel filter leak that was depositing fuel right into the #1 spark plug boot, and it ran better (and safer). Needs a little fine tuning and some electrical stuff. Turn on the lights and the horn blows, the heater fan is noisy.
We drove about 5-8 miles and it would pull a reasonable grade with three of us in it, in fourth gear , without any drama. The suspension doesn't bash and crash, the clutch was stuck but loosened easily, the brakes are right there, the exhaust is quiet, the trans/transfer/diffs seem good. Engine had a little rattle that seemed to get better as temp increased. Who knows how old the oil is.
LRX had S3's from 2k to 19k. I'm happy with the price as it runs and drives well. The body is mostly straight but the bulkhead and the paint quality are rough.
Maybe I'll bring it to SCC?
I don't forsee any restoration happening any time soon. I figure I'll put a historic tag on it and drive it after fixing a few of the issues.
Oh, and I'll fit my extra set of NATO wheels-don't care for the white wagon wheels much.
Now, what tyres should I fit.... I'm about to buy a set of Yokohama MT's in the 235 85 size for one of the 88's here. They are cheap enough; we'll have to see how well they balance up.
Bud is quite an intersting guy with grand stories to tell. Coulda sat around for hours just listening to the stuff. He even gave me a Lucas Service ash tray he had laying around when I came up to see the Rover Thursday!
My new loaner?

rvrsrvc
12-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Probably be easier to sleep in it than trying to drive back to VA. You'd have to turn around as soon as you got home!

Where were you yesteday? Randy and only had our selves to break stuff with....

flippedrover
01-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Probably be easier to sleep in it than trying to drive back to VA. You'd have to turn around as soon as you got home!

Where were you yesteday? Randy and only had our selves to break stuff with....
Hmm..Rover cottage? I was asleep untill 2pm. I'd been awake for almost 2 days and figured sleep was needed since the autopilot in the explorer wasn't working.

rvrsrvc
01-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey, Sean, if your 109 is the Short Bus, does a yellow double cab become the Shorter Bus?

crazyfish
01-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Well if you want to drive the Shorty Bus you'll need some New Caterpillar Yellow in a rattle can baby. It's even starting to fade nicely after about a year. Any updates or pics? Going to SCC in it?

rvrsrvc
01-05-2008, 05:26 PM
No updates yet other than it's in my driveway. My immediate plan is to make heat, make the lights and horn work independantly of each other, remove the folddown front brush guard and the rear tow hitch, fit my spare set of NATO wheels and a set of MT's by SCC.

Rob P
01-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Very pretty Trevor, nice aquisition.