PDA

View Full Version : Galvanizing

Ken Heaton
01-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Does anyone know a shop that does galvanizing in the eastern Pennsylvania area?

Evan
01-01-2008, 08:35 PM
There was a place in Allentown.. The old Lehigh Steel complex.. Visible from the bridge where Tilghman becomes Union off of Front Street.. They had a stripping tank large enough for a car body there also..

Terry Allen found some one local to do stuff for him when he redid his series....that was more than a few years ago too.. I'm not really helping here am I ....

Ken Heaton
01-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks Evan,
I actually know people who used to work there so I will ask them if they know if there is still galvanizing done there. I will also check with a few of the steel fabricators in the area.
Ken

siiirhd88
01-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I will be having a 109 chassis and numerous other pieces done in the next few weeks by:

V & S Lebanon Galvanizing LLC,
153 Micro Dr
Jonestown, PA , 17038-8743
Phone: 717-861-7777

They are located north of Lebanon near the I-81 / I-78 split. I have talked with them a few times, and they seem easy to deal with. A friend had a number of small Series pieces galvanized by them last year with no problem.

They have a minimum cost for weight, but even with the 109 chassis I won't be near the max. If you intend to only do a few small items you can tag them along with my job.

Bob

Ken Heaton
01-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi Bob,
That might work out fine, I have to get all the pieces together. I have to get them off the body, so I will need to drill out the rivets. I will let you know how I am making out with this effort.

Thanks.

siiirhd88
01-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Ken,

Are you working on an 88 or 109? I have extra 88 cappings that I plan on sending along, just for spares. I too have to drill out all of the rivets on the 109 cappings before I send them.....

Bob

Ken Heaton
01-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi Bob,
I am working on an 88 inch Series III. I have quite a few holes to drill to get everything ready for galvanizing.
Ken

siiirhd88
01-05-2008, 05:42 AM
Hi Ken,

I will be sending at least two sets of 88 cappings for galvanizing. One set will be for the rollover rebuild, and one set extra. If I have time I might be able to send another spare set along.

Bob

Ken Heaton
01-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi Bob,
When do you plan to send them to the galvanizing shop?

siiirhd88
01-09-2008, 01:41 AM
Hi Ken,

I'm hoping to drop off the parts on Friday Jan. 25, but that depends on the sandblasting. I need to remove the black paint and Waxoyl skim coat from the chassis, first.

Bob

Disco96JSWB
02-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone,

Any update on this would be appreciated. I'm interested if the process went well, pros and cons to sandblasting versus dip tank, etc. From the V&S website, it seemed they're (logically) focused on industrial customers rather than hobbyists.

Regards,
Jeremy Bannister

siiirhd88
02-06-2008, 01:00 AM
The 109 chassis and about 45 other items were dropped off at V&S last Tuesday. They business is definately for the industrial supplier, as it was about 20 tractor trailers and the 109 with flatbed sitting in line to unload. The large facility is located next to Fort Indiantown Gap, and was very busy. They processed 8 million pounds of steel last month...... The finished jobs I saw in the yard had a very nice finish.

The office folks didn't seem really happy with my rather small scale job, but after information processing I was given 25 tags and wires to identify my parts. I wanted more tags, but was told that they weren't going to supply a tag for each piece and that I must bundle some together. After waiting in line, a forklift arrived to unload the chassis and a pallet was supplied to store the other items. That freshly sandblasted bare steel chassis was just stuck outside in the rain awaiting its turn at the dip tank...... but the caustic dip, acid dip, pickling dip and zinc dip process should remove any surface rust that might form.

I later contacted one of the shop guys, who so far have been great, about the only 25 tags on 40 some pieces. He stated that thay would unbundle the wires on the pieces and galvanize the pieces apart. This seems like some parts could be misplaced..... I supplied the shop with a complete listing of each item, but how would thay identify a 109 capping, anyway? I took photos of each item for pickup.

The office said that they would contact me in 10 days to two weeks when the process was complete. It has been one week so far. The shop guy promised a complete tour of the facility when I pick up the parts, and said they have been processing more car parts lately.....

I will update again after I pick up the parts.

Bob

Disco96JSWB
02-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for that update. It sounds like it'll be worth the effort!

(I bought the Series 1 parts that Rob Koller had for sale as spares for my 1953 80", and I'm going to preserve the 1951 chassis since it's so solid.)

Regards,
Jeremy

siiirhd88
02-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi Jeremy,

It is likely I will be sending a bunch of other parts to be galvanized, and one of the others Rovers members needs an 88 chassis done. If you can grind out the brazed repair to Rob's old chassis and weld it up, it could likely go along.

I'm glad someone got the 80 chassis. It was certainly worth saving.

Bob

Disco96JSWB
02-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi Bob,

I went to look at the 80" parts thinking that the chassis would be the one thing that would be difficult to store, and that it was the other parts I wanted for spares. But it's so good that it's the foundation of a second 80". (So I will eventually need to find another parts car with an engine, radiator, interior grab bar, etc, etc, but this is a long-term project.)

Anyway, it's in safe hands, and I will be working over the next couple of months to get the chassis ready for galvanizing. I'll get the rear cross member ready, and I'll have it sandblasted.

Thanks again for the update.

Regards,
Jeremy

siiirhd88
02-15-2008, 06:54 PM
I collected the galvanized pieces from V&S today. The chassis looks like it turned out well, with only a few uneven spots. The only concern appears to be where the zinc ran out of the chassis at the rear crossmember. The finish is discolored on the left side of the crossmember on the top and the inside section. It won't be visible with the tub in place. The cappings turned out very well, but are rather bright. I will set them outside and let them dull down a bit.

The tailgate chain pigtails and latch rings were not seperated when dipped,, as I feared. The two pigtails and one ring are fused together by the molten zinc, and must be knocked apart. The zinc finish will be ruined, and I will likely just spray them with a zinc coating.

There were no missing items, and all of the small items including cappings were set to a wooden pallet and wrapped with clear cling plastic.

Pictures will follow.

Bob

siiirhd88
02-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Here is the freshly galvanized 109 military chassis.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/SIIIRHD88/109Galvy1.jpg

The long tub cappings.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/SIIIRHD88/109Galvy2.jpg

Various bits.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/SIIIRHD88/109Galvy4.jpg

The stuck together tailgate loopps and pigtails.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/SIIIRHD88/109Galvy3.jpg

I started cleaning out the various chassis holes today. I still need to sand out the galvy from the spring bushing holes and insert the new bushings. Waxoil inside after that. Then will be the dissassembly of the 109....

Bob