PDA

View Full Version : Limited series content

pbmonk
01-08-2008, 03:48 PM
There is an article in today's New York Times (Jan 8, front page of "Business Day") that has a slight tangential relation to Series Land Rovers....

1) The article concerns efforts by Tata (the rumored future owner of the Green Oval - thats the LR content) to build a low cost car.

2) Some remarkable things about this new car, according to the NYT, are
"INSTRUMENT PANEL: Minimal, with only a speedometer, odometer and fuel gauge", and the "engine is less than half the size of most, with a horsepower of 30 to 35." In addition they say "MODERN COMFORTS: Has no radio, power windows or power steering." Yet more: "WINDSHIELD WIPERS: One rather than the customary two.".

So there you have it. Tata is championing a spartan, uncomfortable and under-powered vehicle. Maybe they will bring the Series I back into production? At least they seem to be the ideal owner for the fabled Land Rover of old.

Peter

PS. The similarity ends with the instruments, comforts and horsepower. Tata's new car has only room for a briefcase in the trunk

galen211
01-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I heard this on NPR this morning the price point for the car is $2500!

The story I heard also said that Ford was going to attempt to sell more cars in India because they can't sell them here.

oscar
01-10-2008, 09:21 AM
http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-AX339_tata_a_20080110082310.jpg

I like how the logo on the hood looks nothing like Toyota's....:rolleyes: