PDA

View Full Version : Series Wiper motors / arms SUBSTITUTION?

pygmypotomus
01-17-2008, 04:41 PM
I've been looking at both Rovers North and Atl Brit and can't seem to find the simple little motors currently on my windscreen. I wouldn't care except that the ones I have don't work. :)

The ones they are selling look more modern and are quite expensive - over $100. On eBay the ones I find tend to say "well, I don't remember if it worked when I took it off the car 5 years ago..."

Is there an easy / common substitution people use? When I was fixing up my 1955 Austin A30 a lot of Sprite parts would fit, etc.

Right now Shaun is lots of fun to drive as long as it's dry, but I need to extend that usability a bit. :) Thanks!

galen211
01-17-2008, 04:58 PM
I've been looking at both Rovers North and Atl Brit and can't seem to find the simple little motors currently on my windscreen. I wouldn't care except that the ones I have don't work. :)

The ones they are selling look more modern and are quite expensive - over $100. On eBay the ones I find tend to say "well, I don't remember if it worked when I took it off the car 5 years ago..."

Is there an easy / common substitution people use? When I was fixing up my 1955 Austin A30 a lot of Sprite parts would fit, etc.

Right now Shaun is lots of fun to drive as long as it's dry, but I need to extend that usability a bit. :) Thanks!

Which style do you have the two motors on the windscreen or the Series III style that is one wiper motor with a cable running between them?

FWIW I look over Rover boards all the time and I haven't heard of any substitutions.

pygmypotomus
01-17-2008, 05:03 PM
It's two separate motors - sorry I wasn't clear.

galen211
01-17-2008, 05:14 PM
The crazyfish may know more about this but I would imagine you could take them to a local starter/motor rebuild place and they could make them new again.

crazyfish
01-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Tom Proctor is the current leader in series II wipers. I have 3 extra ones that I need to fix also. Perhaps a Series Wiper Shop Day in Frenchtown is in order. I've never seen drop in replacements, nor new ones even available for sale. Current ebay price is about $100 for ones that "run".

pygmypotomus
01-17-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm all for Garage Days - I'll bring food and work on anybody who wants it (acupuncture and bodywork) and even make Land Rover scarves or hats. But unless we schedule something soon I'm going to have to hit a marine store or MG source... I need to be able to see on a daily basis!

PS - just called RN and BA - they said the motors are made of "unobtanium."

(Edited to correct horrible spelling error)

galen211
01-17-2008, 06:19 PM
PS - just called RN and BA - they said the motors are made of "inobtanium."

Ah, even more rare than "unobtanium."

Evan
01-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Check out the simple stuff first .. with a volt meter make sure the power feed is actually 'hot' , make sure there is a good ground , The switches are mechanicial and sometimes with a bit of persuasion you can get the brushes inside to re-contact . The motor was packed full of thick grease when new and after 30/40 years it gets like my back and knees on a rainy day. They can be rebuilt . Another help is to use a good window wax(like rainx) on the outside and anti-fog on the interior of the glass ( plain old tooth paste will work ) good luck and have fun

pygmypotomus
01-17-2008, 07:01 PM
The right one is frozen - I can't move the arm manually. The left one wasn't hooked up but the previous owner said it didn't work and sent a spare- is it still in that box I left at the last Garage Day? I'd forgotten about that one. It's MINE! ALL MINE!!! HAHAHAHAHHAH *evil laugh*

Now I just have to get it back.

crazyfish
01-18-2008, 12:02 AM
I was looking for the webpage that had wiper rebuild info and pics and found this site. I'd bet 20 or $25 to try one of these....

http://www.captain-jims.com/2007cataloguepgs15.htm

Tom109
01-18-2008, 11:00 AM
OK Sean, I found the thread!

My wipers have sat on my workbench for months - with no top on my 109, it doesn't make much difference...

Shop Day? Yes!!! A little short notice for this weekend, but let me check with my my office of homestead coordination and see what I can put together. I'm thinking sooner rather than later.

(That's a Heads-up that I'm thinking next weekend 26 or 27 January.)

Tom P.

Rusty and Tad
01-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Sorry, I won't be able to make it. Can I ship out Rusty and you guys can get the timing right for me? Or is this a wipers only garage day?

Tad

crazyfish
01-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Sure, send it out. It might take 2 or 3 years to get it all sorted out, and of course we'd have to put it through it's paces - just to make sure.

pygmypotomus
01-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Bought 2 motors (with arms and blades) at a marine supply today. I figured something that's prepared to get wet will last longer than an old MG part. Will update you all once they are installed. Keep your extremities crossed for me!

pygmypotomus
01-19-2008, 07:45 PM
I now have wipers!

Details and pics here (http://needlegrrl.blogspot.com/), if you want 'em, but basically the marine ones worked beautifully.

crazyfish
01-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Looks great! How about starting a new thread with part numbers, pictures, problems, thoughts? This is a common problem.....

Tom109
01-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Before I move this to the SHOP DAYS Section, anyone else besides Sean that wants to rebuild their dual wiper motors? I have my two motors to do, and possibly two motors from Pygmypotomus, and Sean has a dozen or so...

I'm trying to decide which day works best - Saturday or Sunday (this weekend!)? ? ?

Tom P.

crazyfish
01-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Saturday I am taking my Series to a Garage ( warm with a lift! ) in doylestown, and Evan and I are going to fix all of the little things that just make it run better, maybe add a throttle control and figure out my winch. Come on down.

I think we might also work on Peter's Series, as it's there too.

Tom109
01-24-2008, 02:03 PM
I need to see if my exhaust will make the trip - it doesn't sound like it will!!! I'll be back home tomorrow...

Tom P.

LC Rover
01-24-2008, 03:10 PM
What time on Sat. and where in D-town. I just put para springs on "Brumby" and want to take him on a shake down cruise.

Larry

Tom109
01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
My plans have changed, so the Wiper Motor Shop Day will be next weekend. Pull you motors and grab your spares...details under the Shop Day Section...

Tom P.

crazyfish
01-25-2008, 09:11 PM
We'll be at the Liberty Gas Station in Doylestown, just north of the Court House on the main street. Plans changed a bit, we'll be there starting at 3pm.

pygmypotomus
01-25-2008, 10:22 PM
That's an hour from me. Is anybody going to be passing through Downingtown or Paoli before that so I can pass on my old motors?