PDA

View Full Version : I know nothing...

Rineheitzgabot
01-21-2008, 01:01 PM
...about Range Rovers-mechanically or economically.

I frequently see mid-eighties thru early nineties on ebay going for cheap. I do not claim to be intelligent, but I do understand supply and demand. There must not be a demand for these? Assuming this is true, is it because they cost too much to rebuild/repair?

I have thought many times about buying a Rangie and only repairing/restoring the bare necessities to use it as a "wheeler". In other words, if the air goes out, or the power seats, or windows go out, nevermind 'em, only fix the non-luxury items that may arise.

How practical is this? If one could pick one up for a grand, typically, what would be wrong with it? If I had another grand to throw at it, would it be enough? Would it end up being a toy, or the impetus for headaches?

Thanks for your time and input,
Gary

crazyfish
01-21-2008, 01:31 PM
I know less than you, but Lyle has one that fits that bill.

galen211
01-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Rust is what you need to know. The floorboards, rear upper tailgates, rear crossmember, rear floor. Just about everywhere.

As a trail truck I think it would work well.

solihull109
01-21-2008, 05:26 PM
and don't forget that wonderful BW transfer case:)

rvrsrvc
01-21-2008, 07:50 PM
FYI, I picked up a 96 Discovery with about 160k for $1k. Straight, clean, all functioning. New owner's have been to Kansas towing their race car as well as PA, MD, VA etc. with the MR2 on the trailer.
The deals are out there.

Rineheitzgabot
01-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks for all of your input.

All of what is being said pretty much confirms my thoughts.

pbmonk
01-21-2008, 10:13 PM
I just bought a 1990 RR. The brake lines to the back were corroded through and while replacing them (with Tom Bache doing most of the work) I pulled down on the drivers side mudflap. There was a shower of rust and now I have a huge hole into the footwell that needs to be fixed somehow. So my advice is be very careful about rust. Lift carpet, poke about, and don't do what I did.

I hope the ABS pump hasn't also died...

One place that everyone says to check - and is good on mine :-) is the rear upper tailgate. These rust through like crazy.

Parts seem somewhat hard to get. For my series I can get made up brake lines of the correct length. For the RR they are not available and we have had to improvise (for 1992 or newer they are available - and 1992 lines do not work on a 1990 FYI).

Peter

crazyfish
01-21-2008, 10:23 PM
whoa, Peter Monk bought a modern LR. I think I have to go sit down now :)

Frank84
01-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Like everyone said - pay more for less rust. The rust hides everywhere and there is always more than meets the eye. Everything else seems easy to fix and used parts are generally easy to find for common repairs. My '89 doesn't have ABS and I'm thankful for that.