PDA

View Full Version : Steering box repair question

Disco96JSWB
01-28-2008, 12:17 PM
I have a small issue with the steering box in my 1953 80" Rover. The outer tube of the steering column moves in and out of the steering box, maybe as much as half an inch as the steering wheel is turned.

This box was replaced by the prior owner because of concerns over cracks in the original aluminum steering box. I believe (but don't know for certain) that it is cast steel, rather than cast iron.

From the drawing in the parts book I believe this tube may originally have been riveted in four places. It appears that perhaps plug welds have replaced the rivets (although maybe it was always like that).

Any opinions on how best to repair this? (My feeling is that it could possibly be welded or brazed around the point where the tube enters the steering box.) Any recommendations regarding a machinist/welder who could be trusted to assess and/or repair it?

Regards,
Jeremy Bannister

galen211
01-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Have the plug welds broken loose? Another stupid question, is it supposed to move/be easily removeable? If you weld it all the way around I assume it isn't going to come apart again.

I would have a machine shop drill out the plug welds and have them redone. If they aren't broken then something else is the problem?

Disco96JSWB
01-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Hi Galen,

Thanks for the reply. I believe the plug welds have torn away part of the tube, but that pieces of it are still holding (which is why I can't drift the tube all the way out). It appears that the original design was that the two pieces would never come apart.

I should have taken a picture of the "worm" and "nut." It's a pretty simple design (and no wonder these things are known for their vague steering).

As you said, I need to find a machine shop. Anybody have recommendation of one in western Chester or eastern Lancaster county?

Regards,
Jeremy

Disco96JSWB
02-25-2008, 03:29 PM
The steering box repair did not go well. The antique cork washers crumbled to dust, even after soaking for a week. Grease oozed out from under the brazed repair that was supposed to keep the column connected to the box (not a small safety feature). And the nut dropped off the end of the worm at full lock, resulting in no steering at all.

There's a way to install a later steering box in an 80" Rover (upside down), and so I'm putting together a list of the parts I need, and will post the list in Parts Wanted.

Regards,
Jeremy Bannister