PDA

View Full Version : Starter for Series needed

pygmypotomus
02-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Help! Shaun won't go. He's being lazy.

Evan
02-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Is the battery charged ? .. Cables ok? How is the ground for the starter ? You can check with jumper cable from neg side of battery to the starter fixing (top of starter,where it bolts to the bellhousing) bolt . If that fixes it you need to rework the ground . Lots -O - stuff to check B/4 replacing the starter motor. Check with local starter Alternator shop to either rebuild or replace yours . Seem to remember that the starter from some old ford tractor (8n I think )will work look here : ovlr.org/OVLR.alt.parts.html

pygmypotomus
02-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Have plenty of electrical charge. Possible it's the ignition coil but Matt doesn't think so.

He's been intermittently not responding (click the starter over and *then* he works kind-of-thing).

Starting him this AM in the cold was rough, but we drove around for half an hour, went into a Pep Boys, and when we came out... a big nothin'.

Evan
02-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Where's the hand crank? .. Coil???? Is it turning over and not starting? The coil doesn't have much to do with the starting spinning and engaging

pygmypotomus
02-12-2008, 02:54 PM
It's not turning over. Don't have a hand crank.

Evan
02-12-2008, 03:12 PM
I had a spare rebuilt on the shelf and of course now I can't find it. Check with Tom Bache ,he's more than likely to have one and he's down your way ..... I'd check the ground first and all electrical conections .

pygmypotomus
02-12-2008, 03:39 PM
K talked to Tom, he will check and get back to me. He even has the steering arm bits I need. :)

UPDATE: Cloverleaf Auto, not Rover guys but the only address I had close by to give to the tow truck, says solenoid and starter are bad. Fixed one short in dash, suspects more. Now there's a shock, huh?

solihull109
02-15-2008, 07:03 PM
I have one back in Pa,...it's used but in excellent working order,....$ 10.00?
I'll see if my wife can find it and let me know where to ship to ,...if you're interested.

Carey

pygmypotomus
02-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Ooo thank you!! It's the diesel type, right? Much appreciated!
Sharon

pygmypotomus
02-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Got one! There were plenty of petrol starters around but the diesel was more of a challenge.

Finally found it - George at Rovers Down South helped me out. Funny guy. :)
877-246-5301
mail@roversdownsouth.com

Let him know I sent you (Sharon Rose) if you use him. Please ignore any comments about my credit cards. :D

galen211
02-20-2008, 02:33 PM
George is well known to the Series folks on this board. Just don't tell him you know Sean (crazyfish)!:eek:

crazyfish
02-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Next time you call, ask him if it comes with a bucket of chicken.

He's good for Series guys.

flippedrover
02-20-2008, 03:46 PM
And yet when I left a message looking for a starter he called me back with a Russian tractor starter!!

Got to love the guy.