PDA

View Full Version : I am one of you now........

oscar
02-19-2008, 01:56 PM
As you may have seen, I bought the '93 Classic RR advertised in the classifieds elsewhere on this forum......unseen. Yes, I need my head examined. I'll bring a full report when I get it home Saturday......

Trevor
02-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Welcome Oscar,

You too may now drive around in a "car" tearing up the trails! Careful though, Mr. Toad may get a bit jealous, you'd better let him sleep on the top bunk.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/photos/TPPRO-PARK8S-2.jpg

oscar
02-20-2008, 06:29 AM
Unfortunately I don't have enough vertical clearance to stack two Rovers, unless I chop the Classic....

I have other plans for the bottom bunk.....;)

oscar
02-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Houston, we have visual.....Introducing the Silver Bullet.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh117/oscarvanl/SilverBulletSmall.jpg

sven
02-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Looks nice...I miss mine now :(

Frank84
02-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Congrats on the purchase! Now you'll have better heat if you take that to spruce cabin.

rvrsrvc
02-22-2008, 08:06 PM
What year is it? I didn't know they made a SWB for the 93 model year... I was under the impression that the 93 and 94's were EAS LWB's and the 95 EAS RRC could be long or short.

Frank84
02-22-2008, 08:19 PM
What year is it? I didn't know they made a SWB for the 93 model year... I was under the impression that the 93 and 94's were EAS LWB's and the 95 EAS RRC could be long or short.

Jason Hagg has a '93 SWB that originally had air suspension. My parts truck for my transmission was a '93 SWB, but it had coils from the factory. However, I can't say i've ever seen a '94 SWB.

oscar
02-22-2008, 08:47 PM
I will know more tomorrow......

Trevor
02-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Pretty sure they made SWB's in both '93 and '94, although production in '94 was short lived (SWB's produced in later '94 were sold as the '95 county classic).

This is said to be a '94:

http://pennstate.craigslist.org/car/564708751.html

Not a great angle, but I'm pretty sure it's a SWB. Look at the width of the non winding section of the rear windows.

-T2

flippedrover
02-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Congrats on the purchase! Now you'll have better heat if you take that to spruce cabin.
Don't you mean better brakes? I thought the heat was fine. Although I'll take the heater out of the short bus. Something nice about roasting in a rover on a cold night.

Frank84
02-22-2008, 10:55 PM
better brakes too of course

oscar
02-23-2008, 01:13 AM
Brakes? We don' need no stinkin':D brakes!

It's on the list.

RAK
02-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Just bought a 2002 HSE from South Carolina with 39k miles on it. Had a beautiful drive up including the skyline drive. Not too many things went wrong. I used Peter Cosmides at British Motor Car Garage in Maple Shade NJ, to service the car.
Very Happy!

oscar
02-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Well........I know more now.....

It's a '91. No air, just coils. Nice leather. Most of the ceiling still sticking to the roof. Some rust in rear door sills and under tailgate, but not too bad. Body in pretty good shape.

That was the good news.

Bad news.... Star in windshield in "drivers field of vision" (an inspection killer if they see it)....ABS and Brakes lights.....

The really bad news....

Wouldn't start at pickup, winched it on the trailer. Bought a battery on the way home, and it fired right up! Sat and idled for 20 minutes, sounding a bit like a diesel :eek: went for a drive...

Two miles down the road he got really, really tired.....either fuel starvation or....limped home.

Back in the barn, after cool down it fired right up....still rattling like a diesel...the entire top end a drum band....and a bottom noise....bad bottom noise..put in a can of marvel mystery oil..soon a REALLY bad bottom noise.....then I shut it down and it stopped running like someone grabbed it with a big hand and choked it.....

Messrs. Bache and Price are my witnesses.

Yes, I checked the oil before I fired it up, and yes the oil pressure light was working before I started it.....still in retrospect it sounded like the top was not getting oil, and the bottom not much either.....and that something was binding...

Someone suggested that after all that sitting a bearing may have shifted when I started it up, misaligning the oil channel....

Some of sellers remarks indicate this may have been happening before......(no idle, no power)

I'm going to do an autopsy. Can I get to the bearings from below?

I think I'm in the market for a long block.....

Any thoughts? Anyone, thank you.

rvrsrvc
02-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Yes, you can pull the pan from below and the rod and main caps.
Wear a poncho.
Pulling the pan maybe your whole commitment-if the oil pump pick up is sludge filled, there could have been enough oil pressure to turn of the light (10psi?) but not enough volume to lubricate stuff.
Unfortunately, you won't be able to see the cam bearings from underneath-only from pulling the front cover and the intake.
And, if you are going that far, you might as well pull the engine and put it on a stand to make it easier to work with.

oscar
02-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks, that's what I figured. Also allows me to de-rust the engine bay and give it a nice rustoleum treatment.

Someone on another forum mentioned the oil pump loosing prime on these motors.....you ever hear of that?

rvrsrvc
02-24-2008, 08:38 PM
I've heard of losing prime, but never expereienced it. For all the oil cooler hoses I've replaced, oil pans I've pulled, oil changes I've performed, I've never had an issue with deveolping oil pressure.
Major engine work, or even pulling the pan, I'll fill the oil pump and pick up tube with vaseline and the filter with oil to aid in creating suction, but have never lost prime from draining.
I once had an issue with an incorrect timing cover gasket on a 3.9/4.6 conversion (my own) that allowed the oil pump to draw air instead of oil. Went through a lot of vaseline until I saw where it was going.
I did have Ferrari BB 512 blow an oil filter apart on cold start up after an oil service, but that was a defective part. And a heck of a mess.
The oil pump pick up does bolt to the engine block above the oil level in the pan and if those bolts back off, the oil pump could lose a prime. An oil pressure relief valve is a spring loaded steel piston and with a burr could stick in it's bore, but it would have to be active in the first place.
Hope this helps...