PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?

Rineheitzgabot
02-24-2008, 09:42 PM
How much play, is too much, in the steering wheel on a '69 SIIa?

Do we measure it in degrees?

Thanks.

59rover
02-25-2008, 07:02 AM
In Nova Scotia, according to the dept. of motor vehicles, 3 inches is the maximum turning free play. Personally, I don't have hardly any in my 59 swb. jim

solihull109
02-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Adjustment is on the side of the box,...however, overtight is not good either. Read the manual to set the proper load(adjustment)

pbmonk
02-26-2008, 10:07 PM
I can't help with how much play is allowable.

But there are loads of less easy to adjust places that also cause play in the steering wheel. Have a look at the tie rod ends as someone plays with the wheel. They could be worn (remember there are six in all). Also check that the pitman arm on the steering box and the arms on the relay aren't loose. Also the arms on the swivel pin housing.

The relay itself can wear so that the shaft is loose and cause play. You can see it moving but not turning when you turn the steering wheel.

The swivel pins can wear and cause problems (but this usually also causes oil leaks from the housing) and I don't think this is so likely to be a problem. Even wheel bearings can cause the feeling of looseness in the steering.

Once all the play is out of the linkages, arms, relay etc, it would be worth adjusting the box.

Peter

Rineheitzgabot
02-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks for your help; you guys are great.

I have about 5 inches at the rim of the wheel, and I think that I can reduce that quite a bit at the box, since all of the other possible places for play seem tight enough.

Again, thanks.

-Gary

ZombWagon
02-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Check this out mate. Step by step, if the above post turns out with inexpensive results.

http://www.landroverclub.net//Club/HTML/SIII_steering_play.htm

Eric

pbmonk
02-28-2008, 09:32 PM
I'd only add one thing to the previous post. Use some Hylomar on the adjuster bolt and lock nut before you adjust. Otherwise oil will weep out and a nasty oily steering box will become a reality.

Peter