PDA

View Full Version : Series II/III 8:1 cylinder head

Disco96JSWB
02-26-2008, 10:18 PM
I have a 2.25 cylinder head casting number 568750 with '8' stamped on the raised boss in what looks to be good condition, complete with valves still installed, but no rocker shaft, etc. Not clean, but never left outside, etc.

I'd like to trade this towards a SII/III LHD steering box (which I plan to install upside down in my RHD S1 80"). Otherwise, make an offer.

Regards,
Jeremy Bannister

oscar
02-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Would the rocker shaft etc be the same as in the lower ratio engine? In other words, is the head the ONLY different part?

spechols
02-27-2008, 12:01 AM
I'd like to trade towards a SII/III LHD steering box (which I plan to install upside down in my RHD S1 80").
That is a new one for me. - How does that work?
Anyone done this before?

Disco96JSWB
02-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Oscar, I will have to defer to an expert regarding what else might need to be changed when going to an 8:1 cylinder head. (But I'm sure you'd notice the 75-100hp increase in power.)

I found a few references to 80" (mine's a 1953) Rovers with upside down SII/III steering boxes. Miraculously, Tom Bache then sent me a 1987 article written by John Craddock on how to do it. By fabricating a bracket for one side, and using a later support bracket on the other side, a clean job can be done. Only an early SII box allows the use of a Series 1 steering wheel, but I'm willing to use a later wheel.

Apart from the cost and difficulty of finding a 1948-53 worm and nut box, the conversion apparently makes the steering much more precise and lighter. I can e-mail the pdf of the article if you send me a PM with your e-mail address.

Regards,
Jeremy

spechols
02-27-2008, 11:02 AM
I can e-mail the pdf of the article if you send me a PM with your e-mail address.

Yes please
spe10 at psu.edu

Evan
02-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Jeremy : I've got bits from two boxes that you're wellcome to .. You may be able to put together a good one... steering shaft (worm gear) is splined for banjo (early IIa) wheel but splines are ruined.

Oscar : pushrods are different in length 7:1 vs. 8:1 rockers & shaft are interchangeable ,Shaft pillow blocks had two diffrent sizes.. going from memory here, look up to be sure

oscar
02-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Pillow blocks would stay with the shaft right?