PDA

View Full Version : Piper Cams

ZombWagon
02-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Howdy folks,

I have a question about piper cams. I am lugging home a new 4.0 Longblock this weekend. The intended recipient of this motor was an MGB. I was thinking of installing an Torque Max Piper Cam. Do you all think this is even required. or is it $600 for a beefier sounding exhaust?

Opinions?

Here is a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190201809602&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Eric

oscar
02-28-2008, 12:44 AM
And this is going in a Series?

ZombWagon
02-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Sorry,

I probably should have been more specific. I have a Stage 1 V8.

Eric

oscar
02-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Personally I wouldn't spend money on a Piper cam, unless you plan on drag racing it.....:D

Frank84
02-28-2008, 08:37 AM
I doubt you'd see a $600 performance improvement. I'd spend the money on something else.

rvrsrvc
02-28-2008, 11:54 AM
I would encourage a phone call to MArk at D&D. He knows his way around a Rover v8.
I have a RPi cam in my 4.6 transplant and paid a load of dough for it. It's not a good example to gauge performance increases as teh 3.9 was tired to start with. And, the Disco is very heavily built up for off road.
Since then, I have fitted 2 D&D cams-reground Cranes or Crowers- in distributor and distributorless Rovers.
The 4.6 with match porting, Motorsport injectors, rising rate fuel pressure regulator, Tornado chip(don't recommend), MSD ignition, NRP exhaust, goes like stink through an auto in a D90 with 35" tyres and 4.75 gearing.
The 4.0 which was just a freshening seems to be running well. It's in VA so I don't see it often.
Keep in mind that you'll have to modify your valve guides by about .060" to clear the lift of the D&D cam.
FYI-the last cam/lifters/chain/gears/timing cover gasket/seals kit from Dand D was around $600
Mark/Dand D 810.798.2491
Trevor

ZombWagon
02-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks mate. I just didn't want to over tax the engine and shorten it's life by using it for something other than what it was intended. All things considered, it isnt like my 3.5 stock engine has anything but a stock cam.

Perhaps I'll blow that part of the budget on exhaust.

Eric

galen211
03-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Is that your Stage One on Ebay? Why you selling now. Wish I could pick this up!

ZombWagon
04-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Hello,

Yes the red one is mine and I'll tell you I wish I would have never listed it. Ebay is filled with scam artists. Its getting that every bid you get is from some ripoff artist. I ended up having to sell it to a guy from Puerto Rico who didn't want all of the extra parts. One of the reason's I chose him is because he is one of the few who were actually interested in owning it because it was a Land Rover, not just to drive around because they cant afford a new Range Rover.

I didn't take too bad of a bath on the whole, but I got much less than it was worth in order to get it to the right person.

The good news is, I still have all of the spare parts. I'll list them on here, like I should have done with the Stage 1. Ive got a new old stock Rover V8 4.0, a mallory distributor, intake manifolds and carbs to sell. I have two overdrives for the LT95 transmission and linkage for one of them for the stage 1. I also have a LT95 tranny.

At any rate, I'll list them. email me if you need anything anyone.

Eric