PDA

View Full Version : Rusty opinions.....

oscar
03-03-2008, 08:02 AM
So, it appears the "standard" rot locations, with it's probable causes are:

Rear cross member: leaking from hatches.....

Front foot wells: water ingress from the "tub" under the valance rotting through....

C pillars at the bottom: the sunroof drain....I am not too sure about this, as my drain was passing through unimpeded and is not clogged.... Can it be the water coming in around the grommet from the wheel well? Any other opinions?

The rear seat belt attachment. Check out this photot:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh117/oscarvanl/rust4.jpg

You can see the contour of the reinforcement showing through. I suspect that either moisture gets between the plate and the wheel well, OR that the plate is of a dissimilar metal and that we're talking galvanic corrosion here....

Speaking of which: Boats float in water, often salt, and have stainless steel prop shafts, brass through hulls, brass props....etc etc. In other words lots of dissimilar metals. The prop shaft is often at the bottom of the galvanic food chain and will rot away in a hurry (weeks if there is a leaky electrical source in the water nearby) so, to prevent this we put a sacrificial anode on the boat.....zinc... even lower on the list. The zinc is the one that eats away, and when it's half way or a little more, it is replaced.

With the dissimilar metals we have on these cars, has anyone placed a sacrificial anode on the body, frame?

Opinions?

solihull109
03-03-2008, 05:25 PM
That's really NOT that bad though...........

Frank84
03-03-2008, 06:00 PM
I was expecting much worse as well. A piece of silver duct tape would hide that nicely:D

Evan
03-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Frank .. come on everybody knows you only use duct tape for disc brake conversions ;)

Frank84
03-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Frank .. come on everybody knows you only use duct tape for disc brake conversions ;)

You mean I've been using it wrong all these years?!?!

oscar
03-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Snake oil or a solution?

http://www.rusterminator.com/

flippedrover
03-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Do a search on www.d90.com We've had a coulp of threads about electronic rust prevention.