PDA

View Full Version : Going it alone...

galen211
03-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Jess and I went out snowshoeing today in the state forest Sunday. I was using roads that aren't maintained and have had snowmobiles running up and down them since we got snow Friday night.

Went to pass some snowmobilers and got sucked into a ditch. Everything I did to work myself out made it worse. Eventually got the front end in a culvert tube.

Called Sven and he came out with straps (I had all mine but they were pretty useless without someone to pull me, had a shovel too and that wasn't helping) we tried for two hours to get my truck out with no luck; Sven couldn't get the grip to pull me out. Finally a guy came by in a Bronco and pulled me right out. Drove the two miles back out to the hard road and realized we forgot Sven's hi-lift and chain along the road. So we drove back in and got them.

Went out Saturday and drove 10 miles of the back roads no problem, but Sunday the conditions were different and I should have never gotten so far off the road to get out of the snowmobilers way. They don't even slow down when they pass you, don't even stop to ask if you are OK.

Needless to say now I know why you travel in groups and the winch rebuild has taken a bigger priority. Thank God Jess is a good sport, she held up well through the whole thing.

There really is a reason they tell you not to travel alone.

The pictures don't do justice to how bad it was in there.

firemanshort
03-04-2008, 05:04 PM
That is a good story - well ... what I mean is it is a good story with a good lesson (I did not mean that it was good that you got stuck).

From the photos - you do look well and truely buggered. I am not sure a winch on the front of your stuck truck would have pulled you up through the snow and pipe. It might have (hard to say from just looking at photos).

I bet that all the bits besides the getting stuck part were fun.

galen211
03-04-2008, 05:09 PM
It was truly a learning experience.

A winch would have gotten me out when I initially was stuck. At the beginning I was 20-30 ft back from the pipe, but everything I did prior to calling Sven slid me further into the ditch.

Between last night and today I have ordered the winch mount, new controller, new motor. Just need to rebuild the winch and put it on!

spechols
03-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Murphy looks good. You need a set to match.

rvrsrvc
03-04-2008, 06:01 PM
I recovered my Disco once from a precarious side tilt uphill at GW with a hilift. As a winch. During a steamy August. I was lean-er, damp and tired.

oscar
03-04-2008, 06:04 PM
We learn every day, and today I learn from you.

Finally a guy came by in a Bronco and pulled me right out.

I would have left that part out......:D

scatterling
03-04-2008, 06:09 PM
See....if you had gotten Mike Koch's 109" exMOD you would have been fine - being her Majesty's finest, they NEVER get stuck!! :D :D

sven
03-04-2008, 06:50 PM
If Galen had a winch he could've side pulled off a tree, no problem.

If I had snow chains, I couldve gotten traction to pull Galen out.

But it was still nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. I shouldve brought a stove and tea :cool:

Trevor
03-04-2008, 09:49 PM
http://forum.roversclub.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=525&d=1204660464

That looks like all the recovery equipment you should need. Why else would you buy 100 lbs of dog food a week?

Just kidding, glad you got out in one piece... and nice looking dog.

I purchased a set of boots like that for my lab (thought maybe she could go in my parents' pool without the risk of tearing up the liner), you should see her try to walk in them. It turns out just putting them on is entertainment enough, don't even have to take her swimming.

oscar
03-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I shouldve brought a stove and tea

Don't need a stove to make tea in the woods......:D

galen211
03-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Don't need a stove to make tea in the woods......:D

Picture proof.:D

oscar
03-05-2008, 07:48 AM
I knew I'd talk you into it.....:D