PDA

View Full Version : I need help.....

oscar
03-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Medication, or solitary confinement. Something.......:eek:

This afternoon I picked up ANOTHER RR.....1989. This one has trouble moving, it does run. When you put it in gear it seems to go in gear, but won't move.

In the trunk I found another tranny and a transfer box...... The latter was removed because PO thought that was the problem.....apparently it wasn't...so maybe it's OK.

He bought the replacement used.....the tranny was attached. Condition unknown......

It has lots of good parts on it, including parts that are in need of replacement on the 91.

My wife is suspicious of the fact that I may be starting a junk yard.....

Like I said, I need help......

crazyfish
03-13-2008, 10:10 PM
At what point did you realize the insanity was encroaching on reality?

You should just go buy 15 acres right now.

oscar
03-13-2008, 10:17 PM
You know how many RR's you can park on a half acre.....? Too many.:D

billcooper
03-13-2008, 10:37 PM
This is bad Oscar, thats how I got started....

First one....

Then well, one more won't hurt....

Then the next one.....

The good news is the pain starts to go away after the 4th one....

oscar
03-13-2008, 10:39 PM
You are NOT helping me.....You are pushing the co-dependency angle....
Come to think of it......this whole forum is an opium den.....what have I gotten myself into.....oh no, the horror. I am doomed! :D

Meanwhile.....any thoughts on the tranny symptoms?

Trevor
03-14-2008, 07:55 AM
You know how many RR's you can park on a half acre.....? Too many

Too many Rovers? Are you allowed to say that on this forum?

Afraid I don't have suggestions for the tranny, but, out of curiosity, is your new acquisition the silver RRC from lancaster?

If so, I considered taking a look at that one, but my wife is taking a slightly more preemptive approach to stopping the junk yard dream. She seems to think the five or six runners in the driveway (before anyone gets excited, there's only one rover, the rest are mostly business trucks) don't need any ailing companions.

sven
03-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Oscar, have you tried putting it in "1" and see if it moves?

galen211
03-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Can it be something like a broken CV? I think some of the coiler guys have told me when they break, lock in the CDL and it will move. Of course, you can't do that in a '91 with a Borg Warner. I may have no idea what I'm talking about since I am a leafer.

And this thread is worthless without pics.:)

flippedrover
03-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Medication, or solitary confinement. Something.......:eek:

This afternoon I picked up ANOTHER RR.....1989. This one has trouble moving, it does run. When you put it in gear it seems to go in gear, but won't move.

In the trunk I found another tranny and a transfer box...... The latter was removed because PO thought that was the problem.....apparently it wasn't...so maybe it's OK.

He bought the replacement used.....the tranny was attached. Condition unknown......

It has lots of good parts on it, including parts that are in need of replacement on the 91.

My wife is suspicious of the fact that I may be starting a junk yard.....

Like I said, I need help......
I have a solution to your emerging Rover addiction. Send me the money that you'd use to buy Rovers. Problem solved and you are helping a good cause too.

rvrsrvc
03-14-2008, 02:04 PM
I'd second a blown cv or broken half shaft. Jack it up and see if any wheels turn freely.
Is is a center diff lock transfer case, or a BorgWarner?

pygmypotomus
03-14-2008, 04:01 PM
I feel your pain, Oscar... I've finally realized Shaun is not going to be a good commuter (duh) but instead of being sensible and buying a Smart Car I am probably going to buy another London Taxi.

oscar
03-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Frank, yes, that's the one.

Dead in ALL gears including reverse....

Pictures when I get back home....

I'll have to play with the axles......I *think* it's a BW......one gear selector, one LNH.....but I was only in it for a few minutes..... Got home, loaded up the Family and drove to Florida...... 1138 miles in 19 hours including three hours of non-moving time.

And, if it IS a BW wouldn't that (a broken shaft/axle/CV) cause the VC to think a wheel was slipping and lock up? (If it's working) So the other end would turn?

First thing I'm going to do is see if there's enough oil in there......

oscar
03-15-2008, 09:23 PM
've finally realized Shaun is not going to be a good commuter

Once you get him sorted he should be quite reliable...... I mean, there's hardly anything there to go wrong.....(compared to a RR...:D )

Maybe we'll have to invite him to a shop day.....

pygmypotomus
03-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Once you get him sorted.

Aye, there's the rub. See my thread in the Series section.

Craigness
03-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Put the bitch in gear.

Have someone give you a push from behind..

As you go over the cliff, wink at the groundhog in the passengers seat...

Seriously, if the CV is blown, put it in gear, have someone push you a bit from behind, if it starts to move, it's a CV. You will here it clunking around in there.

89's had a borg warner with no center locking diff...

88's had the LT230.

An 89 is a 90 with no ABS.

oscar
03-16-2008, 08:34 PM
I like that.....this guy?

http://merrimusings.mu.nu/archives/images/groundhog.bmp

crazyfish
03-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Oscar - nice running gear parts truck
http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/4359

oscar
03-30-2008, 10:31 PM
You trying to get me killed? :eek:

Eh honey, we've got two, what's one more eh? :D

rvrsrvc
03-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Butch Cohen at Land Rover Harrisburg has a London Taxi for sale. I don't know details, but make sure you tell him Trevor sent ya-like i don't already spend enough on parts there, I'm also looking at a Disco 3.

billcooper
03-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Eh honey, we've got two, what's one more eh? :D[/QUOTE]

I've tried that one... it's a fast way to a hospital visit. I got out of it by buying her a Jag.

BTW, we picked up another RR over the weekend.... The disease gets worse...

oscar
03-31-2008, 05:22 PM
A Jag..you got of easy...lol. Mine wants a Roller. My own fault. We had one for a while and joined the club/went to events. It was niiiiiice but pricey. Now she's spoiled.