PDA

View Full Version : Clutch play

galen211
03-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Not sure if I have a problem or not. My clutch only engages at about the bottom 1/4 of the pedal. Very little travel at all.

But, I'm not leaking fluid and it still pulls strong, no slipping.

So is my clutch getting worn out? Or is there something else I should look at? I am usually of the opinion that if something isn't broke I don't want to fix it and it appears nothing is broken, but something doesn't feel right....

sven
03-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Mines engages/disengages right at the top. I would either bleed it or if it aint broke....;)

Rineheitzgabot
03-18-2008, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=galen211] "Not sure if I have a problem or not. My clutch only engages at about the bottom 1/4 of the pedal. Very little travel at all."

Galen, could you elaborate on this a bit? If I am reading what you wrote like I think, you are saying that, when you hold the clutch to the floor, then slowly begin to let it rise up, the clutch engages about a 1/4 of the full distance of the travel of the pedal (from all the way to the floor, to the "rest" position). Is this what you were saying?

If so, I would think this is normal. I just went through the whole clutch thing. Maybe a slight-bit more would be desirable, but a manual would probably tell you.

-Gary

galen211
03-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Yes, you are correct, if I have the pedal at the floor and let it out it only takes 1/4 of the travel before it is engaged. Meaning I barely let it out and the clutch is fully engaged.

If I am off-road the pedal will bounce up and down because there is no pressure on it till way down at the bottom.

LC Rover
03-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Galen:
One way to check if your master is leaking by the seal is by clamping off the the rubber hose going down to the slave. If the pedal is rock hard when you try to depress it, tells me that the master is good. If its not, rebuild time or replace it, or look at the nuts at the end of the master's op arm, might of worked it's way loose. Just an idea. Start working your way down to the slave. When I got my truck, that was the first thing I did, replace all the hydro parts and fluids.
LC Rover

pbmonk
03-18-2008, 08:09 PM
I'd start at the bottom and work up :-)

Yours is a IIa I think? If so, the clutch slave is on the right and works a linkage going into the right side of the gearbox. Perhaps the problem is wear on the linkage. There are two pins and a sleeve joining the operating arm to the shaft on the clutch (you'll see what I mean). These can wear. Then the operating arm (the one pushed down by the slave cylinder) can wear in it's brass bush because it gets no lubrication. Perhaps play in this area has caused the pedal to need to move too much?

Then again your description of the pedal bouncing about doesn't sound like this problem..... So LC Rover is most likely right... You do have a spring on the pedal?

Maybe the master cylinder is badly adjusted. The pedal shouldn't move much before the pushrod starts to.... push.

Random thoughts I guess....

Good luck!

Peter

oscar
03-19-2008, 07:51 AM
About where mine is.......

I would wait untill you're on top of a hill and suddenly have NO clutch. :D

flippedrover
03-19-2008, 08:48 AM
About where mine is.......

I would wait untill you're on top of a hill and suddenly have NO clutch. :D
Thought that was no brakes.

Tom109
03-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Galen,

I'm following Peter's thoughts. Read through clutch hydraulics in the green Bible until it sits well. Then start looking around. Check simple things like the slave linkage, the master push-rod nuts, and the pedal free-play spec. Next check the condition of your flex line, and if possible, have somone operate the clutch pedal while you have you hand on the flex line. You do not want to see/feel any expansion. If you have the IIa system it much easier to replace the flex line than a III.

If you tear it all apart, weigh the advantages of replacement over rebuilding. You can always put the rebuilds into your on-board spares...

Tom P.

galen211
03-19-2008, 09:37 AM
It's an SIII. I did the clutch system on my old truck so I am familiar with all the components. I just dread this job on the NADA SIII becuase it means removal of the fender and I have no time right now.

In the near future I will be taking off the front to repair the front frame so I guess I will do it at the same time since it will be off.

oscar
03-20-2008, 12:29 AM

You funny. We HAD brakes, it was just locked or nothing.....:D

flippedrover
03-20-2008, 08:32 AM
You funny. We HAD brakes, it was just locked or nothing.....:D
Ahh got it.

Rusty and Tad
03-22-2008, 04:58 PM

Brakes are over rated, they only slow you down! (Mountain biker's credo)