PDA

View Full Version : Re-gearing

flippedrover
03-23-2008, 12:09 PM
No I'm not re gearing the 90. A buddy of mine had a shop day yesterday to re-gear and install ARBs. I copied his post to The D-90 Source hopping that some one has done this them selves.

Anyway, I made very little progress with this, but do have a better understanding. With the tools I have, we were not really able to determine if we were measuring wrong, or my stock diff wasn't setup correctly, but the measurement we took of the stock diff before disassembly was 0.1" off (supposed to be 3" from the top of the pinion to the housing bearing cap flats). So I decided to shim mine to "normal" and proceed. Worst case it means I'll have to disassemble and change the shim if the pinion doesn't mesh with the crown gear properly. I did confirm that my new pinion and top bearing match the old in height.

But then ran into the pinion preload. The shims I have are 10,15,20/1000ths of an inch. If I use a 10/1000th shim, the pinion is very hard to turn by hand. So hard I didn't even try see what torque it took to turn - perhaps a mistake, but clearly felt too tight. With a 15/1000th shim, it feels tight, rolls smoothly, but takes little to no torque to turn it. So I am unsure what to do at this point. I don't know if I should try source a shim that somewhere inbetween, or call it good.

The bearing were lubed with 90W during these tests.

BTW, I am using this as my primary guide:

http://www.kamdiffs.com/landrover_4_1.htm

charles
p.s. thanks to the guys that helped today.

Tdi Guy
04-14-2008, 08:15 AM
they make shims very thin also 3thou and so on