PDA

View Full Version : Towing

galen211
03-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Got the pintle bolted up last week so now the Rover can pull my trailer. Empty you don't even feel it, I'm sure full will be a different story.

oscar
03-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Cool. You going to get that street legal?

galen211
03-25-2008, 07:28 AM
That is the plan. I have to figure out the best plan for titling. It looks like titling it as a homemade is the way to go.

Eventually the plan is to create some sort of camping trailer out of it. I would like to either design and build a hard side camper with the idea of a tear-drop or get a roof top tent and carry it on top of this. Still rolling ideas around in my head.

flippedrover
03-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Building a deck and sticking a tent on it will be the easiest and cheapest way to go.

galen211
03-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Building a deck and sticking a tent on it will be the easiest and cheapest way to go.

I agree but am having a hard time justifying a $1000 tent. Because at the end of the day I'll still have a tent.

Rusty and Tad
03-25-2008, 11:45 AM
I thought Dan's (Landy67) trailer on the G&R board was nice.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3ny96/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/DSC00086.jpg

flippedrover
03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
I agree but am having a hard time justifying a $1000 tent. Because at the end of the day I'll still have a tent.
Yeah but its cheaper. How much is it going to cost to turn it into a mini camper?

galen211
03-25-2008, 12:46 PM
I like Dan's and he sent me some better pictures, but it's hard to justify. I mean I can pick up a used pop-up camper for less $$$ than the roof-top tents. At least they have a table, kitchens, etc....

As far me building one, I have a plan in the works and I bet it will be much cheaper. As a plus my design will lift off the trailer and I can still use it for work chores, which is a necessity.

EDIT: Oh and my design will be hard-sided so no rain inside when the tent leaks.

flippedrover
03-25-2008, 01:35 PM
I like Dan's and he sent me some better pictures, but it's hard to justify. I mean I can pick up a used pop-up camper for less $$$ than the roof-top tents. At least they have a table, kitchens, etc....

As far me building one, I have a plan in the works and I bet it will be much cheaper. As a plus my design will lift off the trailer and I can still use it for work chores, which is a necessity.

EDIT: Oh and my design will be hard-sided so no rain inside when the tent leaks.
Cool. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Rusty and Tad
03-25-2008, 04:19 PM
You got a good point. I bought a cheap roof top (and I do mean cheap!) for the top of Rusty. I was thinking that it would nice to be able to move it from vehicle to vehicle.

My friend has a small pop-up trailer that needs some work but only wants about $500 for it. If I would be smart I would pick that up, install new springs, give it a bit of a lift, and that way I would have a table and chairs and stove and range and beds all self contained.

But I smart is not.

galen211
03-25-2008, 04:23 PM
But I smart is not.

But you do look cool! I will say that roof top tents look so neat when they are deployed. Nothing says international explorer like a RTT.

oscar
03-25-2008, 11:45 PM
It looks like titling it as a homemade is the way to go.

That's what I did with mine. Keep it under 3000 max, no matter what the plate says and you won't need brakes and inspection.

galen211
03-26-2008, 07:44 AM
That's what I did with mine. Keep it under 3000 max, no matter what the plate says and you won't need brakes and inspection.

So you have done this before? It's a little confusing on the forms as to what to do. Did you have to show receipts for the materials to build it? Because this trailer is already built but the military issues no title I think homemade is the best way, but I am not sure. It will definitely be under 3000 lbs. as it is a very small trailer.

oscar
03-27-2008, 02:05 AM
I went as "special construction". I had a receipt for the trailer, taxes paid. This was the sources for components used, military surplus.

Bureau of Motor Vehicles - Research and Support Operations Section
P.O. Box 68031, Harrisburg, PA 17106-8031
Visit us at www.state.pa.us
Homemade Trailer Titling Procedure
PURPOSE
This Fact Sheet explains the requirements for titling, registering, owning and operating homemade trailers or
trailers assembled from kits in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. It describes homemade trailers, the
documentation required for titling and registration as well as equipment requirements.
DEFINITIONS
The Pennsylvania Vehicle Code (§102) describes specially constructed vehiclesas a vehicle not originally
constructed under a distinctive name, make, model or type by a generally recognized manufacturer of vehicles.
This includes vehicles assembled from parts of various vehicles, and/or kits.
Vehicles reconstructed to the extent that the original make is no longer recognizable will be issued a certificate
of title listing Specially Constructed as the vehicle make and no model year. (A Pennsylvania state replacement
vehicle identification number plate will automatically be issued on trailers of this type; no special form is
required.)
GENERAL RULE
1. Four color photographs: one each of the front, rear and both sides of the trailer. (Photos must show that
safety chains are attached to the tow hitch and that the vehicle complies with all applicable lighting
requirements.) All photos must be signed and dated by the examining inspection mechanic.
2. Completed Form MV-1, Application For Certificate of Title. NOTE:Issuing Agents are prohibited from issuing
temporary registration plates or transferring a registration in conjunction with application for these type
vehicles. Agents should remind applicants that the vehicle cannot be used until the application is processed
and registration plates are issued by the Department.
3. Complete Form MV-426, “Application for Reconstructed or Specially Constructed Vehicle”. (See reverse
side for details.) Please note that if one of the blocks is checked (4) in Section C, the “describe in detail”
portion need not be completed.
4. Proof of ownership. These documents include certificate of title, salvage certificate, manufacturer’s
certificate of origin (for kits, bodies, etc.), and bills of sale and receipts for all major components used in the
construction of the trailer for which no evidence of ownership is available.
NOTE:The bill of sales and receipts in the name of the applicant for parts used to assemble the vehicle
must be submitted as proof that the Sales Tax on those parts has been paid.
October 2001 - over -
5. Fees. $22.50 title fee, sales tax and applicable trailer registration fee (listed below). If applicant is
claiming exemption from sales tax, the applicable sales tax exemption reason code must be recorded
on Form MV-1.
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS AND EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
1. Trailers 3,000 lbs. or less GVW: Form MV-426 must be completed by a certified inspection
mechanic. The inspection mechanic is required to verify that the vehicle complies with all
Pennsylvania vehicle safety equipment requirements as listed in Pub. 45, the Vehicle Equipment and
Inspection Regulations. However, trailers to be registered 3,000 lbs. or less will not receive an
inspection sticker, nor do they require future annual safety inspections.
The applicant must explain in detail on Form MV-426 how the trailer was assembled, what work was
done to the trailer, and where all principal parts were obtained. If the description is not in sufficient
detail, the application will be rejected. The special VIN plate and registration plate are to be attached
to the trailer immediately upon receipt from the Bureau. Please note that if one of the blocks is checked
(4) in Section C on Form MV-426, the “describe in detail” portion need not be completed.
2. Trailers over 3,000 lbs. GVW:Form MV-426 must be completed by a certified inspection mechanic.
The inspection mechanic is required to verify that the vehicle complies with all Pennsylvania vehicle
safety equipment requirements. No safety inspection sticker may be issued at this time.
The applicant must explain in detail on Form MV-426 how the trailer was assembled, what work was
done to the trailer, and where all principal parts were obtained. If the description is not in sufficient
detail, the application will be rejected. Please note that if one of the blocks is checked (4) in Section
C on Form MV-426, the “describe in detail” portion need not be completed.
After the application is processed and when the title, registration plate, card, sticker and special VIN
plate is received by the applicant, the applicant must attach the special VIN plate and registration plate
to the trailer. The vehicle must then be taken to a certified inspection mechanic and if the trailer passes
the safety inspection, the inspection mechanic will issue an inspection sticker to the vehicle at that
time.
TYPES OF EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
Depending on the type of trailer being assembled or purchased, various types of safety equipment are
required. Equipment such as lights, reflectors, tow chains (depending on the type of trailer hitch used) and
whether brakes (brakes for each wheel are required on all trailers over 3,000 lbs.) are required, etc., will
vary depending on the GVW of the trailer. The applicant should contact a certified inspection mechanic or
the Bureau’s Vehicle Inspection Division at (717) 705-6991 for more information.
Fees for Trailer and Semi -Trailer
Gross Weight Fee Fee Opt. 5 Optional
in Lbs. Annual Per Mo. Year Fee Permanent
3,000 lbs. or less 6.00 .50 30.00 N/A
3,001 lbs. to 10,000 lbs. 12.00 1.00 60.00 N/A
10,001 lbs. or more 27.00 2.25 N/A 135.00
Trailers 10,000 lbs. or less may be registered for period of one year or five years.

galen211
03-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks, I had that fact sheet on my desk and the MV-426 form. I am taking to the inspection station in two weeks. We'll see what comes of it!

solihull109
03-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Got the pintle bolted up last week so now the Rover can pull my trailer. Empty you don't even feel it, I'm sure full will be a different story.
I dig the trailer man:)