PDA

View Full Version : RH to LH?

jeyster
04-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm looking at a SII, RHD. What do the pros charge to convert to LHD? Anybody ever do it themselves? Looks like a big job. Opinions welcome! Jm

crazyfish
04-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Peter Monk just converted his 109. Let's see if he chimes in. As for keeping it RHD, there's a few of those nuts here too.

pbmonk
04-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Its not necessarily that hard with a series II but does take time.

One important question: does the chassis have a place for the relay on the left hand side of the cross-member under the radiator. If the chassis is original, you won't have the necessary hole and so the job just became much more difficult. You would need to source a LHD cross member, cut out the existing cross-member and weld in a replacement. Many replacement chassis (the one on my truck for example) have a hole for the relay for LHD or RHD.

A second question: how is the footwell on the left hand side. Mine had a new footwell crudely installed so that I had to spend time shimming and even coming up with a new layout for the gas pedal. If the footwell is in good shape, or well repaired the job is easier.

I'll try to recall the parts you need so as to give an idea of the complexity:
1) LHD steering box assembly (it might also be a good idea to use a new relay)
2) LHD arms for the bottom (assuming a newish II) of the swivel balls and replacement lock tabs for the bolts
3) LHD hand brake and shaft
4) LHD accelerator linkage and brackets (I think the RHD setup could be switched so the true LHD setup may not be needed).
5) Some brake/clutch lines to plumb in the hydraulics
6) LHD wiring harness for the dip switch (OK 3 wires but harness sounds more exotic)
7) LHD gear stick

If I remember more I'll post....

Good luck

Peter

jeyster
04-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the info. The chassis is original, so I've got a little more work. I think the footwell is in good shape. Jim

galen211
04-16-2008, 08:51 AM
As for keeping it RHD, there's a few of those nuts here too.

I'm one of these guys. What are your concerns about RHD? I personally liked it and never would consider the hassle of conversion. But thats just me.

derekdilks
04-17-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm one of these guys. What are your concerns about RHD? I personally liked it and never would consider the hassle of conversion. But thats just me.

I'm now one of these guys, and the only time it's an issue for me is when I make a deposit at the bank or fast food. There used to be a McDonalds in College Park that had a backward drive-thru, wish I had the Series back then ;)

pygmypotomus
04-17-2008, 06:31 PM
I agree - why would you want to change it? I find the inability to use drive-thrus is excellent for my health. And RHD is easy. Takes about 30 miles to fell completely natural. Plus it impresses chicks.

scatterling
04-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Plus it impresses chicks.
Nice!:D

I also agree, there's no reason to switch and it NEVER gets old hearing " hey, you could deliver mail " !!!