PDA

View Full Version : To parabolic or not to parabolic that is the question!

tpyle
04-21-2008, 11:24 AM
After the Robesonia event, I have learned that I need new springs.
Should I go with the parabolic or stick with the ome springs? Are their advantages one has over the other?

Finally can they be installed in one's garage with nothing more that a standard tool box and a large hammer or is this better taken to a garage?

galen211
04-21-2008, 11:29 AM
If you truly need new springs then by all means go the parabolic route. They are essentially the same price and on road feel in much better. Off-road you will still get beat up, but it will be a little better.

The hardest part of a spring swap is getting the bushing out of the frame. Other than that it is easy pretty easy and standard tools will get the job done.

LC Rover
04-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi:
I went the para route this past Nov.. Not looking back one bit.. Totally different truck with them. I walked up the hill that you got stuck on at Robesonia, I would always get stuck at the the same spot you did with out the para's. Old springs were fused together with little or no flex. Did them in a day, If that is any help. I have heard some real horror stories on the other hand.

crazyfish
04-21-2008, 08:20 PM
I had a nightmare getting the bushings off even though I followed every bit of advice. I did it at a local station on a lift. We cut and burned them out, and it was still a bitch. Others have been more lucky.

From junky flat springs to new parabolics was a no brainer. Also raised it up about and inch which is nice.

scatterling
04-22-2008, 05:45 AM
read somewhere, maybe even on this forum, that putting the bushings in a freezer for a while really helps in getting them in - my two cents

sven
04-22-2008, 08:35 AM
What brand of parabolics are you guys running? There seems to be lots of differences between brands, how many leafs, etc.

tpyle
04-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Larry which brand did yoiu put install? Also did you do it yourself or with a friend?

I have seen prices all over the board on the parabolics, $500 to $1000.

I was thinking about using the 3 leaf rear, and 2 leaf in the front seems to be standard.

Any thoughts on brands...

crazyfish
04-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I have TI console and they are just fine. Honestly, while they will each have pros and cons, all of the them are probably better than stock. I went with 4 on the back of my 109 and wish I had gone with 3. Heard good things about the Rocky Mountain springs also.

Tom109
04-22-2008, 01:09 PM
I went with Rocky Mountain - 2-leaf front and 3-leaf rear for a 109 2-door. I've got a set in my garage right now, just waiting for the right weekend to install them.

Tom P.

galen211
04-22-2008, 01:17 PM
I concur with everyone else. Not sure of brand on mine as the truck had them when I bought it, but it has two leaf rears on a hardtop and I think they are sagging a little. I also have major sag to the driver's side. I think that is a sign that it's time to lay off the potato chips. sigh....

LC Rover
04-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Got mine from RN. They are ok. Had one front spring leaning, they replaced at NC and no questions asked. I have a soft top and don't carry any real wt.. Have two leaf rears with a helper spring and it stills looks like a hot rod with the rear end sticking up in the air. Can't complain. you can't go wrong with any brand you buy. Anything is a step in the right direction. I did it all by myself, have air gun will travel. Use wrench to remove all bolts and air chisel with the pointy attachment to drive out the bushings.

tpyle
04-22-2008, 04:43 PM
I was just getting some pricing from British Pacific for the Rocky Mountain's and had a lengthy conversation with the sales guy, who was pro regular leaf.
He said the parabolic's have a higher rate of vehichle role over when going off road. They also have less warning for roll over, and they have much more bounce as well. He highly recommended the parabolic for road driving, but said to go ome for off road and heavy loading.

Has anyone heard this?

crazyfish
04-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Welcome to the GREAT SERIES DEBATE! The short answer is that probably 80% of series owner upgrade when changing. I think all of the series guy I personally know have them if they had bad springs.

You can tip anything ( trust me I know :) ) I'd call Rovers Down South and Wise Owl in Canada.

siiirhd88
04-22-2008, 11:05 PM
I replaced the springs on the 88 with stock units and noted a big change in movement compared to the old rusted springs. I put RN parabolics on the wife's 109, two leaf fronts and three leaf rears and am very pleased with the ride and bump absorbtion ability. I had to swap sides after a couple of months due to sagging, leaning to the driver's side. Been fine since. I just mounted heavy duty extra leaf stock springs under my 109, since the 3 leaf parabolics didn't seem to have the carrying capacity I want in a work truck. I don't notice any additional swaying with the parabolics, but it does seen to lean more when driving along a slope.

RN said they didn't have 109 parabolics in stock, and weren't sure if they would be getting any due to a supply problem.

Bob

Willard
04-22-2008, 11:37 PM
I just went though this exact thing when i bought my springs.
i got the RN 2 front 3 rear for my 3 door 109 ( the free shipping weekend sold me)
i originally was going with stock springs. But after a lot of research i decided to go with parabolics.

On road they will give you a better ride.
On Road watch for loaded roof racks as they tend to lean a little more (might be a problem for me) in turns
Off road they will give you more flex ( suggested that you keep the limiting straps off)
Off road on washboard or loose soil up hill you may get more wheel hop.

I am still not sure if i made the right choice considering the setup i will have when i a done. Time will tell on that one.

A side from that, it really is personal preference. If you want to keep your Rover original and in stock form then the stock leaf's are the way to go.
If your making a serious expedition vehicle, i would stick to the stock springs as well (easier to get spares in other parts of the world).

for anything else, Parabolics from my research and understanding is the closest we will get to a coil spiring suspension without a chassis swap or major modification's.

that just my .02

crazyfish
04-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Just to add to the confusion, I will have a new set of stockers for sale for a 109. Installed on a frame I bought, never had weight on them. Going to put the parabolics on it instead. What ever is 1/2 price of new.

tpyle
04-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Ah so the plot thickens...

Will the 109's fit an 88?

galen211
04-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Ah so the plot thickens...

Will the 109's fit an 88?

Yes, but the ride will be very stiff.

tpyle
04-23-2008, 02:13 PM
lol, that wouldn't be any better than what i already have...

Tom109
04-23-2008, 04:11 PM
For background, here is a thread on the RN forum (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3336). I'm curious what this crowd thinks of the greasable poly bushings?

My frame bushings are 43 years old, but the rubber is in good shape and they've only covered 25k miles. I was going to change them but figured the quickness of a bushing-less spring swap was more important. I'll keep an eye on them in case they start to fail from the new parabolics, but if they do I may try the greasables.

Oh, and I'll have a set of lightly used ambulance spings if anyone is interested...

Tom P.

sven
04-23-2008, 06:16 PM
How much $ are the greasable bushings?

Willard
04-24-2008, 09:00 AM
They run around 150 for the coarse thread to 200 for the fine thread.

I picked up a set for mine. They are still in the bag.
I agree with may of the arguments on that thread.
Yes the original lasted like 30-40 years. No i do not think the quality of the replacement OEM ones are any where near the same. Yes i the poly bushing are going to be easy to replace.

Time will tell how they stand up.
My luck with poly bushing in the past has been ok. Same goes for rubber though.

As for the springs. I just got mine like 3 weeks ago. I am surprised RN is out.

Crazyfish, to bad you bought yours i might have swapped with you for the OEM ones you have.

Tom109
04-24-2008, 09:51 AM
I used genuine rubber bushes on our D1. No way I was going to use polys on the coiler. The greasable polys on a Series almost seem to make sense, and may address some of the poly shortcomings. My main concern is the time and effort to install lower-quality rubber bushings. I'd almost rather carry poly spares onboard, as I could replace them on the spot.

There were some posts on the S2 Club forum that British Spring may be closed. I think BS supplied RN. Anyway you still have TIC, Rocky Mountain and I'm sure RN will resolve their supply issue...

Tom P.

sven
04-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Roversnorth is selling "Jonas Woodhead" parabolic springs, made in India.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2594

tpyle
04-24-2008, 11:54 AM
As of 3 days ago RN did not have any stock for parabolic springs and the supplier has stopped making them or is not exporting them for RN anymore.
RN is in search of a new supplier of parabolic springs.

sven
04-24-2008, 03:06 PM
RN is in search of a new supplier of parabolic springs.

Well thats good. Hopefully they will sell rockymountain. If so, I will order those on a free shipping weekend ASAP!

Rusty and Tad
04-25-2008, 09:07 AM
OK, I will raise my only objection to parabolics I have: on road you get a lot more lean in turns and corners. This can be a bit disconcerting until you get used to it.

I have RM 2 leaf front and 3 leaf rear. The ride comfort is much nicer then the OEM and the articulation ease off road is superior.

I am blanking on the name, but if I didn't get such a great deal from Ray at Wise Owl I would have gone with the blue parabolics with the helper springs.

Tad

Rusty and Tad
04-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Well thats good. Hopefully they will sell rockymountain. If so, I will order those on a free shipping weekend ASAP!

Didn't RN sell RM for a while? IIRC

TTFN