PDA

View Full Version : Short Bus Shop Day, Frame swap & BBQ

crazyfish
04-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Ok, it's getting to be time to swap the decent parts over to the new frame. Goal number 1 is swap the engine, add the new gear box, move the brake parts and maybe add some wiring.

Goal 2 is gauges, steering, windscreen, t-pieces.

Aiming for the weekend of May 10th, 11th. Since we will be working in my back alley and don't have much room, this is more of a help Crazyfish day than a shop day. I will feed you ribs, burgers, chicken etc.

The weather is going to be the deciding factor. After we get the running parts up and going, I need to paint the remaining body parts quickly. I need to keep this down time to a minimum.

I could use an engine hoist, smart people and of course tools. I'm going to start on Friday, stripping the front end. We have a spare bedroom if someone wants to crash here. Beverages will also be supplied.

derekdilks
04-30-2008, 05:09 PM
this sounds really fun, too bad I'm not very smart and don't have any tools, man those ribs and chicken sound good..... be sure to post pictures....

scatterling
04-30-2008, 06:16 PM
.....just how smart does one need to be? :D
I have a 1 ton shop crane if you need it

crazyfish
04-30-2008, 08:37 PM
You only have to be smarter than I - which means you are all invited. You only have to have more tools than I - which means you need two wrenches and one broken screwdriver. You do however, have to come hungry and thirsty.

Rob P
04-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Pencil me in, but keep an eraser handy!

Tom109
05-01-2008, 06:43 AM
Hmmm, Mothers' Day Weekend - Sunday could get me in trouble! So, I'm in for Saturday, figure I'll get there pretty early when the coffee is hot! I'll confirm with you closer the date...

Tom P.

LC Rover
05-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Sean:
Going to try to be there on Sat.. . If you want I can bring over an air compressor and a few air tools to make things go a little faster on Friday, if I can't make it on Sat. LC

derekdilks
05-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Sean, how close are you to King of Prussia mall? My wife has been wanting to go there, so maybe I can drop her off for a few hours and come help out, even if it's just an extra set of hands for lifting etc... Plus, that BBQ sounds really good....

crazyfish
05-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Larry - anything would be helpful!

My zip code is 18901 - about an hourish away.

crazyfish
05-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Ok, Neil just dropped off an engine hoist.....

solihull109
05-03-2008, 07:04 PM
How much help do you need?

crazyfish
05-03-2008, 11:10 PM
It's me, so tons.....

solihull109
05-04-2008, 09:43 AM
It's me, so tons.....
Duh:D , I meant how many have committed to helping you at this point?

scatterling
05-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Sean, I still can't find those chains for the hoist. If you don't have anything that will work I'll buy some more before this weekend.

Ken Heaton
05-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Sean,
I actually have a lifting beam that I constructed to lift out a 2.25L Series engine, would that be of use to you?

crazyfish
05-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Neil, I'd be happy to chip in for those, I mean I need them too!
Ken, I think we have it covered, but I'd sure be happy to see you show up for your expertise.

crazyfish
05-06-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm hoping we get to wiring ( I have new harness ) but I don't have any meters.

firemanshort
05-07-2008, 10:04 AM
I saw the posting for the spare parts and I might be interested in the fuel tank as mine leaks. However, there is no chance I can may it up there as it would be over 8 hours of windshield time (up and back) and over $110 in fuel. Plus I have an appointment at the junk yard for some Jaws-of-Life training this weekend (we are cutting up a 1991 Mercedes E320 :D ).

Is there anyone going to give a hand that is coming from down South and near-er to Virginia? ... and interested in relaying some parts?

Rob P
05-07-2008, 10:16 PM
As much as I would love to come up, it's Total Estimated Time: 2.0 hours 22 minutesTotal Estimated Distance: 117.51 miles per Mapquest to Doylestown for me.

Even with the company truck and company gas, it's day before mother's day and I think mom S.O. might miss me for those hours.

Grab that heavy duty eraser and rub me out..........sorry.

LC Rover
05-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Sean:
You going to be around on Friday afternoon 1-2ish. I'll drop off the air compressor.
Have to go toward new Hope for some mother's day shopping. otherwise see you on Sat. Is Tom taking the whole front axle. Sure could use some 109 backing plates to up grade to 11 inch brakes. :)

crazyfish
05-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks to Evan, Neil and Larry we got some nice work done today. Pics to be posted later. Ken stopped by just in time to give some pointers. Found out my fan blade was on backwards and the rear prop shaft too.....

Following parts are sold:
Seat box $10
Free Wheeling hubs $25
Gear Box and Transfer case ( no Evan the Overdrive is not included )
Left hand drive shifter - free
Steering Relay $10
Front Axle
both Diffs

Thanks to Red for putting on a fine display of ribs, sausage and chicken with all the fixings and putting up with the mess in the back yard.

rvrsrvc
05-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Looks like fun! SOrry this was one of the most family filled weekends I've encountered in a long time.
Trevor

Rineheitzgabot
05-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Looks like you have a very nice rolling chassis there; a brand new bulkhead as well?

I'll bet it was lots of fun rolling the the engine hoist (with it's 2-inch casters)across the ground to the rolling chassis.:D

I like the look of your tires and rims on the old one, what is the size of your tires and rims?

Good luck with the rest of the frame-over!

crazyfish
05-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Continuing this weekend, weather looks great for outdoor shop day and grilled meats.

The rims are standard 16" and the tires are Dunlop RT Radial Rover in stock 7.5 x 16 from tirerack.com

LC Rover
05-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Sean:
On Sat., I'm going to the British car show at Hope Lodge in Fort washington. I'll try to make it in the PM.
LC Rover

crazyfish
05-24-2008, 08:45 PM
today we got the pedal boxes, steering column, drive shaft in. The old gear box into evan's mini van ( looks hot, chicks are gonna dig it ) and a bunch more stuff off the old short bus.

scatterling
05-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Did you check everyone's toolboxes for the overdrive before they left? :D

crazyfish
05-26-2008, 06:26 PM
More progress and stupidity. So, this morning I start my day cleaning oil from a baby robin in my kitchen sink. Seems like that plastic pan looked like a great place to take a swim....

Installed the seat box - then realized I missed a top side panel... two hours later I realized I forgot to install the hand brake assembly first. I just couldn't figure out what went on those two huge supports while I was bolting in the seat box....

I took the steering bracket out of the dash, cleaned it all up, nice coat of paint and tried to slip it over the steering column. Guess what, you have to install that first. Oh, and if you are keeping count, I would seriously suggest installing the entire bracket, throttle linkage and steering componants before installing the motor. Now I have to undo it all again, last time Evan did all the hard work.

It's going well, I'm hoping to have it all done in two more weekends - which shows how dilusional I probably am.

I really like the 3M undercoating, goes on like spray paint and drys hard. I'm hoping that kills some of the rock "pings", noise and heat.

and the overdrive seems to be missing... I think Larry and Evan were fighting over it, something about Evan delivering it with Larry's greased up strap. Or was it Larry who offered to "test" it for the summer - just to make sure it was ok for me to use.

scatterling
05-26-2008, 06:39 PM
looks really good Sean.. although, the motor still looks dirty!
What happened to the wash?

crazyfish
05-26-2008, 06:44 PM
I just realized I can loosen up the bulkhead to get to the steering..... Damn, I might be as bad as Mr Zen.

Rob P
05-26-2008, 10:18 PM
In the engine picture I see a can O' PB Blaster. Wonderful stuff. Orange aerosol Kerosene but the stuff works great. Smells to high heaven though.
http://shop.blasterchemical.com/images/images/products/PB-ts_lg.jpg

From the PB website:

Use caution when using PB around: sensitive individuals*, animals and water sources.

*PB Stinks! Some sensitive individuals find it extremely offense and will complain of shortness of breath, headaches, and nausea when exposed to the product and its vapors. These symptoms subside once the individual is returned to fresh air.[Refer to MSDS for more information.] For these reasons, we strongly advise against using it on ventilating systems and components.

How can I get rid of the smell? Time and ventilation are your greatest allies. The components of the product which cause the odor are volatile and will dissipate over time. To hasten the process, you can remove as much of the excess PB as possible with hot water and grease-cutting dishwashing detergent. For fabrics, baking soda or powdered carpet fresheners may help.
PB is safe for all metals.
PB was once packaged as "Challenger Weapon Cleaner" and is safe for use on your firearms. It does well at cleaning and imparts a fine petroleum oil to lubricate and protect from corrosion. However, hunters have claimed that deer will smell it "a mile away."

crazyfish
05-30-2008, 07:39 PM
The saga continues.

Looks like rain in the afternoon so it's going to be free parts day. I will empty the garage and the back of the Short Bus and all extra parts go home with someone else. I need less stuff at this moment. I also have 4 DII rims for $150 or BO. They are mounted and must be picked up.

If we get to do actual work, it's brake lines and perhaps wiring, steering column fun etc.

I'll feed you something off the grill.

Other "free for beer" parts. 109 Frame. Tub, no galvy, old windscreen, no glass etc etc. The only rule is that you have to need it for yourself or trade to some other Series Owner. Keep that mojo rolling.

LC Rover
05-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Do you think you will getting down to the front axle yet, call me 267.804.6793. On my way to the car show again!
LC Rover

crazyfish
06-08-2008, 08:17 PM
This weekend makes the Short Bus almost looking like something. Got the doors and T-pieces off ( didn't know about those pesky 3 rivets holding it in ) sanded, cleaned up, removed MAR mud and repainted. Very tough time getting them back in. But, they are now in. Tub is all covered in first layer rattle can.

Removed the two end panels. Not as bad as I thought. Basically drill out the spot welds from the side you are removing, so you leave the mark on the outside. Screwdriver and careful pulling worked well. First one was a bit of a challenge , second one went really fast. I'm going to try the panel adhesive they are talking about over on Guns and Rovers board.

The new panels are missing all sorts of holes including the door hinge ones. Should be interesting.

SHOP DAY
!4th and 15th. Yes I know it's Fathers Day weekend. Wire it up, move the roof and side panels and figure out how to get the tub situation correctly. If any one has rivet tools that would really help. Full feedings off the grill, and beverages. If you've been here before, you know you won't go home hungry.

Everything at the end of the day is going. Larry gets the front axle, I think Evan wanted the rear. I have a box of pipes and parts for Tom P.

LC Rover
06-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Sean:
Try an be there on sat afternoon/ Have work Friday nite
LC Rover

crazyfish
06-20-2008, 11:49 AM
This weekend we get to play with panel adhesive on the tub end panels, put some window tracks back in, wiring and maybe..... get the roof on.

crazyfish
07-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Got the new back panels in, the roof on and the floor already for the new plate. Whew, lots of paint, and thanks to Peter for helping get the roof on. Showcasing the new Short Bus rear light accessories, and what's left of the old bus.

firemanshort
07-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Definately cool rear lights.

Rineheitzgabot
07-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Definitely the short "BUS" now!

Those lights are the cat's ass! :)

scatterling
07-07-2008, 05:04 PM
looking good Sean, is that the center piece of the La Salle trim, in the first picture, finally installed?

crazyfish
07-07-2008, 06:29 PM
I installed the LaSalle while the roof was off. What a pain in the ass. I expected it to be more of a drop in fit. Lots of cutting and recutting plus I had to cut out the vent holes, not sure why they don't include it. I had to remove it to install the roof but at least it's all fitted. I still have to cut out the side lights - ugh.

Just dropped in the new tub floor, wow, it's nice. Just got to cut out some holes and rivet it in.

scatterling
07-07-2008, 07:36 PM
sooo...what you're saying is, that's probably the way it's going to stay from now 'til the end of time :D who needs windows anyway

airbornrover
07-08-2008, 09:04 PM
curious to know. what did you use as the rear floor piece ? the one that came from the old truck, metal fab shop or reused the old piece? (skimmed through the post)
when my father and I were building mine we took the old pieces from the mid floor to the rear floor piece to a shop to be copied. came out pretty good, shinny and new:)

LC Rover
07-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Sean:
Are you going to be around. If so, might stop by
LC Rover

crazyfish
07-11-2008, 01:15 PM
I'll be in the alley after 5 today, until 1pm on sat and all day sunday.

I had a new floor piece cut from the pattern of the old one. That and 3 rear z-panels only came to $300. Seems cheap to me for a new floor and spares.

galen211
07-11-2008, 02:26 PM
$20 says Sean figures out a way to break those turn signal lights within the first year of driving.:D

crazyfish
07-11-2008, 02:53 PM
$20 says Sean figures out a way to break those turn signal lights within the first year of driving.:D

lol I have spares!

crazyfish
07-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Tons of little things done. Hey did you know you can't put in your defrosters after your windshield and new rubber gaskets? Had to take off the windshield after I bolted it to the roof......

Painted the roof and the tub floor, drilled the floor, waiting on the panel adhesive. Wiring, brakes and steering left. Seats can go in soon, so it will look a bit more complete.

Having a tough time getting the front vents in, the galvy plugged up the hangers on the bulkhead and I can't seem to figure out how to drill it out with no space......

One last big push shop day this weekend, if anyone needs to kill a few hours getting that elusive 90 wt smell on them.

Rob P
07-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Cripes Sean, it's really starting to look less like a part-out and more like a runner. Might it be together in time for the Annual Picnic? With all the new paint and prettynessing is it still a Four-Wheeler or is it destined to stay scratch free?

crazyfish
07-14-2008, 10:12 PM
oh don't worry, I'll scratch and dent it in no time. I bought a new fender skin last year, and first trip out, the door flew open (forgot to reattach the check bar ) and put a nice dent in it. Painted it and then at SCC turned around in the scrub brush trees..... It's also why I love spray paint sooooo much.

siiirhd88
07-15-2008, 09:36 AM
To drill out the accumulated galvy in his vent hinge holes, Brett on the G&R Forum welded a bit of somewhat flexible all thread to an old drill bit. It flexed enough to allow the bit to pass thru the hinge pin tubes without the drill fouling the bulkhead. It seems a great idea.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/SIIIRHD88/HingePinDrill.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/SIIIRHD88/HingePinDrill2.jpg

Bob

Tom109
07-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Sean,

I thought I saw the fork type demister tubes in one of your parts boxes, is that what you're fitting? If so, you can get into that location with a dremmel and bit. Much easier to work with than a cordless drill. Not sure if I can make it this weekend, but you can let them go and we'll fit them later (comfort in knowing it can be done later?).

Tom P.

crazyfish
07-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Got the defrosters in, took off the windshield. Was tired of " do that later" projects....

LC Rover
07-18-2008, 02:11 PM
What time are you starting sat?

LC Rover

crazyfish
07-18-2008, 10:25 PM
8ish I guess. I really really need wiring help. I'm afraid.....

crazyfish
07-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Could this indeed be the last weekend? Bend the brake pipes, finish the wiring and clean the mold off the front wings. Beverages and food will be served.

Rob P
07-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Well, was it the last weekend? Are things back in running order? Driving around the block yet?

crazyfish
07-30-2008, 09:50 PM
The final weekend could actually be here! ( where did we hear that before?) Brake lines all installed, wiring mostly done, fuse box to install. New distributor in, one wing on, two doors to paint and install. Seats mostly in...

Had a problem getting a CV clutch to series III slave pipes. Turns out there has been some "changes" but we got it figured out. ( when I say we I mean Evan )

Hoping to fire it up and get to drive it around once again.

crazyfish
08-08-2008, 03:00 PM
I got home at 2:30, put gas in the Short Bus, checked the coil leads ( again ) distributor, and hooked up the battery. No smoke. Added gas, turned the key, and the ALT and OIL light came on like they were supposed to. Hit the starter button, and it started. Adjust the idle and distributor, and it sounds nice, well NASCAR nice, it has no exhaust hooked up.

Damn, we started on 5/10 and today is 8/8. 3 months is a very short amount of time to do all of this work. I have the exhaust, clutch master, and the front body panels to finish up. Winch even works.

Thanks to everyone who helped, mostly Evan who spent many hours correcting my mistakes. Other thanks to English, Larry, Neil, Tom Proctor, and Tom Bache.

crazyfish
08-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Ok, go the the final wing on, it starts, runs and the new new distributor is back in ( after a nice smoke show ) I have a few extra green wires to figure out, oil in the rear diff, a few more bolts... Tomorrow is scheduled for a alley way test run.

Just got to figure out all those exhaust parts now.

crazyfish
08-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Got the exhaust mostly on - one manifold bolt is busted and the rest is "almost". Started it up and ran it up and down the alley. Neighbors cheered, it was kind of funny, but they handed me a cold beer. Brakes don't work, need serious bleeding, idle is funny, and I'm sure the timing is way off. Got the wheels back on.

Starting a new thread for the end.

crazyfish
08-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Got the roof rack and new spots up and bolted in. Brakes are a bit better. More paint, more sanding. Got all the basic wiring do, new fuse box completed, a few gages.

I did let the smoke out, as one time I jammed all the wires in to close up the panel, went to start it, smoke started pouring out of the high beam section. Turns out, I had one loose live wire in there.... I'm still not sure what it is for but it's all taped up. Need to figure out oil pressure gauge, fuel gauge, and get a new dip switch. Can't figure out where the voltage stabilizer goes.

Couldn't figure out why the blinkers didn't work, and a IIa wiring diagram doesn't even list one.... Found it on a Series III and hooked up the missing green wire and all is good.

Took it for a 5 block ride, no brakes until the 4th pump. Still fun and exciting. Love the no doors driving too!

Frank84
08-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Can you just lift your doors off like on a lightweight? Or do you need to unbolt them each time?

Either way, it's looking great!