PDA

View Full Version : radiator flow rate???

spechols
05-20-2008, 03:11 PM
For a 2.25 motor, how many gallons per minute flow is needed through the radiator?
Thanks

Rusty and Tad
05-22-2008, 08:31 AM
You got me on this one so I took it to the Series 2 Club in the UK as one said it would depend on engine speed. However, here is the most complete reply:

I have never come across water pump flow rates or indeed any device that can be used by a garage to measure it, if we knew what it was.

The water pump works - or not... you'll soon know if it doesn't.

There is a visual check you can do... when the engine is warm and the thermostat open - be very careful in removing the rad cap - if you peer into the header top you will see a steady flow of water. If you raise the engine speed it will increase to the point where water could be thrown out of the rad top.

So you are looking for a steady flow of coolant.

Your thermostat should be working properly and of the right temperature range for your climate.
The rad hoses should be in good condition, slightly flexible and not brittle. All the clips in place and not chewing into the rubber.

The fan belt good and adjusted not too tight, not too slack.

The rad cap doesn't last for years, replace it every so often.
The radiator may/will silt/scale up and will need back flushing evey few years.

You should always run with a good quality antifreeze all the time - minimum of 33% up to 50% if conditions dictate.
(Only use water in an emergency get-you-home-situation.)

All this taken into consideration, you should have no problems with your cooling system...

spechols
05-22-2008, 11:31 AM
I have 15 gallons per minute flow rate when testing the radiator.

Does anyone know whet the water-pump flow rate is?

Tom109
05-22-2008, 12:59 PM
The water pump flow rate will be dependent on engine speed, and the flow to the rad will be affected by the t-stat and bypass.

What exactly are you trying to figure out? If the rad is clogged/free-flowing?

Tom P.

sven
05-22-2008, 01:40 PM
He brought it to a rad shop in town and they told him it was flowing at 15 gpm after they flushed it. Its pretty rusty inside and there were major chunks of junk inside....moral of the story, he needs a new rad!