PDA

View Full Version : Shaun for sale: Blue 88" Series pickup truck

pygmypotomus
05-29-2008, 09:28 AM
We have given up. I know he's a great truck with a solid frame and about 10 minutes from running beautifully for someone who knows Rovers, but I am clueless and Matt is too busy to figure the diesel thing out. :(

Titled as a '70 but the boys tell me he's more like a '63-'71 Frankentruck. Range Rover seats cushion your butt.

Shaun was my daily driver until his starter failed. It's now been replaced, as has the fuel filter (getting fuel just fine now), but the brilliant minds at Cloverleaf screwed up something electrical when they jumped directly to the glow plugs. He turns endlessly but won't catch. Also, one of his turn signals is on permanently.

The parts pile includes an oil filter conversion, 4 16" wheels, a bigger steering wheel, set of glow plugs, various filters, and an OVERDRIVE! Oh, and the other windshield wiper motor which we never got around to installing. Clearly, we need to stick to our London Taxis. Sigh.

We have about $10K in him now, but obviously I don't expect to recover that. Make me an offer!

Located in Paoli, PA, half hour NW of Philly.
Sharon
484-238-8127

Pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/needlegrrlpics/sets/

crazyfish
05-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Call a shop day and get that thing running!

( it's the only way mine stays on the road :) )

mlp141
05-29-2008, 10:25 AM
How about a 2000 GMC Sonoma for it? Great DD with only 65K on the clock.

That said, don't give up on him just yet. It'd be worth investing in a shop day or a visit to Trevor.

pygmypotomus
05-29-2008, 03:22 PM
I can't get him anywhere without an expensive tow... I tried to get a shop day here but there weren't any takers. Please please please - if you are willing to make a house call let me know. I will make it very worth your while!

spechols
05-29-2008, 03:40 PM
I can't get him anywhere without an expensive tow... I tried to get a shop day here but there weren't any takers. Please please please - if you are willing to make a house call let me know. I will make it very worth your while!
Get an AAA menbership. It is less that 75 miles to Elizabethtown.:D

Disco96JSWB
05-29-2008, 04:17 PM
According to a friend of mine, Ralph at that shop is either inept or a crook (or both). I know of two MG owners who feel they lost thousands (even tens of thousands) in dealings with him, so you can almost consider yourself lucky you gave up on him when you did.

The AAA (has to be 'Plus') advice is the way to go. You will lose thousands selling it as a non-runner, so spending a bit for the AAA membership and some expertise (Trevor) to fix it makes all the sense in the world.

Plus why would you sell a solid 88" Rover?

- Jeremy

pygmypotomus
05-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Ok... so let's assume I do get a membership and get him towed.

When can we do this? Trevor? Other Rover Experts?

Rob P
05-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Beautiful little truck............fix it. With $10k in it what's another "k?" (oh yeah, like 10%) Once the niggling little troubles are fixed up you'll never have another moments trouble with it. Oh, wait, it's a LR, Nevermind.

Seriously though, don't get discouraged. At last year's annual picnic almost everyone who owned a Series truck stood up one at a time and said, "It's in the garage in pieces."

pygmypotomus
05-29-2008, 09:54 PM
I appreciate the moral support :) but feel a little silly with 4 cars (we have another taxi on the way since I finally gave up the idea of Shaun as a daily driver). In any case, I need some help getting him going. Halp!

cboy
05-29-2008, 10:02 PM
I appreciate the moral support :) but feel a little silly with 4 cars

What's silly about owning 4 vehicles? :D

pygmypotomus
05-29-2008, 10:44 PM
What's silly about owning 4 vehicles? :D

It's not the number of cars, really, so much as the ratio of cars to income. :)

rvrsrvc
05-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Well, if I was true to my self I would say with all honesty that I shouldn't take on any more work until I get back from Moab at the end of July, but this seems like an emerging ownership crisis!

I should have some room for it by the end of next week, if you would like to move that quickly.
We have 5 cars and only one still has roadside assistance-the Disco 3. Even Dr. Doolittle has her Subie under my AAA membership-certain insurance that we'll never need it for that most reliable car.

I'd be glad to help! Call me to chat more, but I would encourage you to not give up and take a bath on it just yet. Unless Derek feels he needs a short wheel base star car to go along with Dr. McDreamy!

pygmypotomus
05-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Okay, have left a message for you, Trevor. Anybody else have any input?

pygmypotomus
06-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Much as I love the idea of a shop day, it doesn't seem likely.

PLEASE - somebody take him, fix him up, sell him for a profit or keep him as a killer little Landy.

derekdilks
06-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Unless Derek feels he needs a short wheel base star car to go along with Dr. McDreamy!

Shaun is famous? Shaun of the dead?

pygmypotomus
06-04-2008, 03:09 PM
I prefer to think of him as ill rather than dead... I am confident he can make a complete recovery with very minor work.

Who can take him on? I'll pay for the work and then sell him on eBay if I have to. Trevor... please... answer my messages!

PS- He's named for Shaun the Sheep. All of our cars are Wallace & Gromit characters. :) But I did love that funky zombie movie!

Sharon
484-238-8127

spechols
06-04-2008, 03:16 PM
I love Wallace & Gromit.
Others think me odd, but who cares!!!
I guess it could just be the sidecar :D

Rineheitzgabot
06-04-2008, 04:38 PM
We'll call him Shaun, shall we? Hmm? :)

Shaun of the dead is one of the finest pieces of modern filmwork.

Sorry for getting off the subject. I am very sorry to hear about you turning him over.

rvrsrvc
06-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Weird, I haven't received any messages, but I did accidentally leave my phone in a car at RC last weekend. HAve since resolved that obviously- I'll call today.

pygmypotomus
06-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I might be celebrating prematurely, but Trevor has agreed to take on the project. Shaun will be towed on Wednesday for his check-up and whatever surgery is required to revive him.

Huzzah!