PDA

View Full Version : rear window troubles in my D-1

Rob P
06-17-2008, 08:56 PM
I am having rear window trouble in my D-1 and am exploring options. The rear windows were always a bit slow to operate as in time not actual speed. They would only work after several minutes of driving. Now they have both taken a dump. Neither one works at all. I took off the door skin on the driver's rear window and ran the window up electrically so no motor problem. I also checked the switch in the console, no trouble there either. Ditto on both electric window fuses. I am thinking the source of my trouble is the window control unit in the passenger's footwell.

Now......here are my options:

I can replace the wondow controller unit at whatever that cost

I can replace the whole pile by using 4 DPDT center off momentary contact switches @$4.95/each from radio shack

Or I can use the existing switches in the console and 4 doublepole relays to do the work.

Any advice? Similar troubles?

rvrsrvc
06-18-2008, 08:34 AM
It was a common failure on the circuit board for the window lift ECU- a cold solder joint.

A couple of solutions-buy a used ECU from one of Randy's 3 Disco parts Rovers here at my place; Pull your ECU and and look for the cold joint and apply heat; by-pass the switches as the last option.

The ECU is located behind the glove box and is not a lot of fun to extricate. I have, on some occaisions, pulled the circuit board from the ECU leaving the housing in place. Not easy, just easier.

Look for some barn door pix in your e-mail today.

Rob P
06-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Noticed no barn door pictures, found my window ECU (Wabco?) and it looks like it would be easier to take out if the front passenger seat was removed.

Soldering I can do though after I take it out of the vehicle..........I'll weigh my options. I want to do my own switches in the worst way but I do like the auto down feature.

Send me barn pixs!!

rvrsrvc
06-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Wabco is the ABS ECU! The window ecu is behind the glove box-the two arms on the sides of the glove box are spring loaded and can be rotated to release the glove box. The springs are strong so watch yer fingers.
It sits vertically between the engine ecu and

I'll try to post a pic of the ecu when I get out to the shop this am.

same with barn door pix.

Rob P
06-19-2008, 10:09 PM
OK on the Wabco, I couldn't remember exactally which box it was, but I remembered seeing Wabco and I was thinking Window Control but I'll try not to tinker with that one. The window controller has one large plug with 8 wires (that when unplugged no windows work but the relays still click and clack) and a smaller plug that has wires I assume coming from the center console buttons.

Still no pictures yet though.

rvrsrvc
06-20-2008, 05:55 AM
Today. Yes, that's it: Today!

rvrsrvc
06-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Pix sent!