hot when the a/c is in use.
what to replace and how and the best place to get
the part or parts.
i do hear a fan running when the motor gets hot
but the gauge goes
up higher when the a/c is running.

rvrsrvc
06-18-2008, 08:29 AM
The condensor is also a heat exchanger, just like the radiator. If the radiator is not transfering temp 100%, the additional heat from the a/c may cause the temp to rise. If the fan is coming on, then the temp sensor in the thermostat housing is doing it's job.

There is a few things to check before throwing parts at it!

First, I would gently pull back some of the rubber seal between the radiator and the core support. (If the seal doesn't come up easily, you can undo the two bolts holding the rad brackets on either side of the radiator.) Look for debris in front of the radiator, between the core and the a/c condensor-leaves, trash, cigarette packs, dirt.

Secondly, WITH THE RADIATOR COOL, undo the plastic cap on the passenger's side of the radiator. Look into the opening, towards the core, and see if there is any build up on the tubes. (You may have to use a few paper towels to draw out some of the fluid.) If you can see white stuff on the tubes, you can rest assured that there is a lot more settled on the bottom tubes.

If the radiator isn't leaking, there is a good possiblitlity that a compotent radiator shop can remove the the side tanks and clear out the individual tubes, sew it up, and voila: good as new.

I use Middletown Radiator off of 230 near the Toll House Cookie Road exit of 283, but there must be something closer to you.

And thirdly, how's the viscous fan clutch?