PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Discovery

Disco96JSWB
07-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Before I eBay this, I thought I’d post it here . . .

One owner
86,500 miles
Epsom green (no accident repairs - no panel ever painted - Clean CarFax)
Cloth interior (tan) in good condition, except headliner is sagging
5 speed
Never apart (engine, trans., clutch, etc.)
Always garaged (but think trail truck not cream-puff)
Runs fine
Everything works (A/C, windows, CD player, etc.) except cruise control
Gearbox has typical R380 issues, but still works OK
Lots of noise and backlash in drivetrain
Inspected in PA through February 2009
Rovertym front springs with OME shocks
Rovertym rear springs, OME long-travel rear shocks with RTE rear spring retainer kit
Five Goodyear MTR 245/75 tires in good shape (around 10K) on original Castor alloys
AB rear driveshaft (eliminated rubber coupling)
Rovertym steering links
ARB steering damper
Slick Rock sliders
Rovertym gas tank skid plate
Rovertym front winch bumper
Rovertym rear bumper
Recent hoses/anti-freeze and plug wires
Recent Optima red top battery
Recent power steering lines and engine oil cooler lines
Borla exhaust, with tip cut off for rear clearance
Welded-on RTE front diff guard
Some cosmetic body damage to left rear corner from trail adventures
Check engine light is on-and-off (once had one O2 sensor replaced)

This Rover has been reliable. After some as-delivered faults were addressed (wheel alignment and engine oil leaks), the only things that have gone wrong are a water pump (rattled, didn’t leak) and a rear window relay. The oil (Castrol 10W/30) has been changed (by me) every 3,500 miles (or fewer), Redline MTL in gearbox , etc. It has never failed to start, and has never left me stranded.

I just bought an LR3.

$3,950
West Chester, PA
Jeremy Bannister
(610) 429-8943

Rob P
07-05-2008, 09:41 PM
If you just bought an LR3 what are you going to offroad in? I suppose you could do some gentle "green laning" in your new ride but it'd be damn risky to scratch such a fine machine.

I want to see a picture of the new ride.

Disco96JSWB
07-06-2008, 08:19 AM
The Disco would be the fifth car on the insurance now that my daughter is driving, and it's only been driven about 600 miles since the beginning of the year. So that's the motivation for selling it.

The LR3 can tow 7700 lbs., and my 1953 Series 1 will be fun for Robesonia (especially if towed there). Don't have it home yet, but it's just a green 2006 with hardly any options.

For more serious off-roading, I have no short-term plan. It seems like the goal should be to come up with something lighter, with either an antique tag or no tag at all. (But not a Jeep!)

Jeremy

Rob P
07-07-2008, 09:50 PM
sounds like a plan to me, I have to respect a fella with a plan.

87xj95disco
07-10-2008, 05:42 PM
The Disco would be the fifth car on the insurance now that my daughter is driving, and it's only been driven about 600 miles since the beginning of the year. So that's the motivation for selling it.

The LR3 can tow 7700 lbs., and my 1953 Series 1 will be fun for Robesonia (especially if towed there). Don't have it home yet, but it's just a green 2006 with hardly any options.

For more serious off-roading, I have no short-term plan. It seems like the goal should be to come up with something lighter, with either an antique tag or no tag at all. (But not a Jeep!)

Jeremy
there is nothing wrong about haveing a jeep i should know look at mine now

Disco96JSWB
07-14-2008, 11:59 PM
The listing starts on eBay today (Tuesday, July 15th) at 9pm with a Buy-it-now of $3,250.

Regards,
Jeremy

sven
07-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Thats a great deal for someone looking for a D1.

Disco96JSWB
07-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Looks like it's sold (deposit received).

I guess I might need to think about a new "handle."

- Jeremy

Rob P
07-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Can you change "handles" and still maintain identity? Isn't it kinda like the C.B. where you are what you are and you are kinda stuck with it? What would the new handle be? LR305JSWB? How about: IUSEDTOOWNA1996DISCOVERY1BUTNOWOWNALR3JSWB

Oh yeah, Congrats on the sale.........(I forgot that part in my first attempt at a post)

rvrsrvc
07-22-2008, 08:05 AM
I just saw this post and I actually considered it! Of course, it's just what I need, although taking all of the bits off my Disco and fitting them to the SWB RRC would make more sense...

Tomb228
07-23-2008, 10:11 AM
:eek: that's exactly what I was looking for 9 months ago.