PDA

View Full Version : Trevor, Help!

siiirhd88
07-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Our 190K mile '96 Disco is losing power, missing and then shutting off after about 100 miles and two hours running. It would crank fine with the occasional burble but no start. It did it Thursday night and Friday night when trying to head to NC for vacation. Both times it had to be towed home, but it started just fine after unloading it at home.

I had emptied and dropped the fuel tank earlier this week to replace the fuel pump to filter steel line, and also replaced the pump (previous failure) and filter. Last night I again drained the fuel tank and cleaned the tank completely, flushing the supply and return lines and replacing the filter, thinking I might have had some crud after refilling the tank from cans.

After tonight's (Friday) problem it seems something electronic could be heating up, since it starts fine after cooling down. No check engine codes, no overheating, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

pushngo
07-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Crank Positioning Sensor probably or less likely your Mass Air Flow Sensor

Rob P
07-19-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm thinking it has to be related to your recent repair job although I can't think how right now. Is there another filter further down the line towards the fuel injection that might have picked up debris? A hot coil will lose it's efficiency and stop working. When it stops running spray ether (or something safer and still flammable like WD-40) down it's throat and see if it fires up briefly. If so then it's fuel related and not spark related. Likewise after the thing has quit running take a spare plug and put it in one of the wires and see if you have spark.

Fuel pressure gauge in the high pressure line coming from the tank to verify pressure?

Frank84
07-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Crank Positioning Sensor probably or less likely your Mass Air Flow Sensor

I'll second that.

siiirhd88
07-30-2008, 04:14 PM
After reading Randy's posting, and discussion with Trevor, I figured I would check the crank position sensor. As expected, it was covered in oil from the recurring valve cover leakage. The two securing bolts were only finger tight, but what was not expected was the two tiny wires on the harness plug missing their insulation for the two inches. I expect this could have contributed to the poor running..... I replaced the sensor and the harness plug with good used ones from Octogon Spares, soldering the wires on the replacement plug and covering with heat shrink. I did note that the wiring to the sensor plug is copper shielded in a heavy covering, but had enough room belown the shielding to make the solder connection.

The Discovery started right up, but it did that before I changed the sensor and plug. It does seem to run a bit better, but I have not driven it for any distance since we have exceeded our AAA towing milage limit forn the year. I did run it around the farm, and let it idle for over an hour, and plan on taking it to work for a time. I am sure it will let us down again....

Bob

rvrsrvc
07-31-2008, 09:51 AM
That's the spirit! Prepare one's self mentally for an inevitable LR failure. Although you are right about being let down again, maybe it won't be due to the crank sensor?

crazyfish
07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
I've found that replacing something is not always going to fix the problem at hand, but you did find something else that was going to fail soon. Of course, I might have taken it too far, as in the 4 years I've owned the Short Bus, I've replaced 97% of it lol.

I think the bonnet, roof, window sides, steering box, middle seat and breakfast are the only things original to when I bought it.