PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo! Shaun back on the road!

pygmypotomus
08-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks to Trevor, Shaun is starting well and back in action. It turned out to be a faulty fuel pump, after all that. He's installing my overdrive for me now.

Yay!

mlp141
08-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Now, aren't you glad you didn't bail on him?! :)

galen211
08-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Just in time for MAR and Robesonia!

pygmypotomus
08-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Ai yai yai.... :)

crazyfish
10-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Updates?

MDDisco
10-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Congrats, i thought I remember a while back trying to off load her. Glad to see you got her running.

pygmypotomus
12-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Shaun was running well when I picked him up from Trevor, except for a scary leak. We replaced that gasket - end of leak problem. But now he won't start again! We have bled the lines but Matt says it feels like the pump is pushing air back in.

We really need some help here. Can anybody lend a hand? I feel like an utter idiot. I will be happy to pay in cash / acupuncture / handknit clothing if anyone can get this beast running.

Please call...
Me 484-238-8127
Matt 484-238-8126

Ken Heaton
12-10-2008, 02:03 PM
:confused: Is there gas in the tank? How old is the gas?

pygmypotomus
12-10-2008, 07:52 PM
We tried putting new diesel in. No dice.

Rob P
12-11-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm no LR expert but I know what makes engines tick (tock), I'd say a large quantity of air was allowed into the system during the mentioned gasket change. Diesels absolutely do not like air in the lines. Lots of bleeding is required to get them fired up again. If there is air in the individual injection lines they need bled out other wise the air column in the line just bounces instead of actually getting pushed out as diesel gets pushed in.

There might be lots of air bubbles.

How does LR do their diesels? Is there a pusher pump in the tank or does the injection pump draw/pull the fuel up on it's own?

rvrsrvc
12-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Just a block mounted, cam driven mechanical pump that sucks fuel from the tank.
When I first was trying to get the Rover going, I was considering fitting an electronic pump designed for carb fuel pressures (as opposed to fuel injection pressures) to help prime the fuel distributor.
Now, Matt and Sharon tell me that the replacement mechanical pump that I fitted is behaving like the original pump I replaced: The manual external priming lever has no resistance.
Matt and I chatted this morning and he's going to try a few things. If unsuccessful, it's coming back on a rollback and I'll try again.

pygmypotomus
12-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Shaun still won't work. We have tried re-bleeding the lines but there's still no fuel getting to the fuel bleed screws. The fuel filter and top of the pump have lots of pressure. Something's not right with the pump, I guess. We are trying to figure out a way to get it back to you without paying a horrendous tow fee.