PDA

View Full Version : Any tricks?

tpyle
08-28-2008, 10:36 AM
I have changed out 3 of the leaf springs in my 88, they were way too easy to remove, so the 4th decided to be the magical one. I cut the shackle bolt on the front and back after a can of PB Blaster and swearing would get it off. So the replacement shackle came yesterday, me being not so mechanically inclinded did not know that the top of the shackle was threaded too. The bolt through the frame moves but not enough to unscrew the shackle. I have sprayed it with PB, and hit it with some air tools, even yelled at it, but not much more movement. Any ideas to get the bolt to turn or get the shackle off. I have no idea how to get the bushing out of the frame, but it does not look easy or fun.
Any ideas would be much appriciated.

Rineheitzgabot
08-28-2008, 12:42 PM
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4430

tpyle
08-28-2008, 03:11 PM
That assumes the bolt is out...but when should the bushing in the frame be replaced?

Rob P
08-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Willie Worthy in this month's issue of Four Wheeler magazine has a nice piece on removing stuborn/busted bolts. Heat, penetrant, heat, time, penetrant etc.

tpyle
09-08-2008, 08:59 AM
With much yelling, pb blaster, and pushing, (being overweight has an advantage sometimes) the bolt finally started moving moving enough to unthread the shackle. I have officially changed all the leaf springs.

I have one last question, the LR manual didn't talk about how tight to make the bolts. The threaded shackles, should they just be snug on the treaded side, then tighten the bolt against them? Do you make the other bolts just tight?