PDA

View Full Version : 97 Disco won't start

Tomb228
10-03-2008, 12:11 PM
So I tried to start it after a while of sitting - IIRC the fuel pump did start but I got nothing but the starter clicking. I took a quick look under the hood realized I'd accidentally unplugged the ABS modulator(?). Plugged it in, tried again - still it won't turn over. I tried to jump it but I was head-first in the garage. strung 2 sets of cables together but no dice. I bought a jump box and tried that. Now I can't hear the solenoid or the fuel pump. When I turn the key theres a clicking sound like a relay coming from behind the glove box. The ticking continues when the key is turned back to the on position and after a bit the lights and door locks kind of spaz out. there could have been clicking under the hood also.

Is there something obvious I should check?

I have a new battery to try and I wouldn't be surprised to find a bad ground somewhere since some of the electrics are pretty rough. I'll try to get a better diagnosis this weekend.

Rob P
10-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I'll try........Did you try the jump box with the old dead battery still hooked up? If so it might be drawing down your jump box to the point of low voltage not allowing the starter motor to run.

The two sets of jumper cables might have also been the same thing. Not enough current flowing to the battery in the vehicle.

How long was it sitting? The motor didn't seize or stick from sitting too long did it? Try to "drift" the motor by grabbing a belt on the front end and pulling in the direction the motor would turn. (don't have the key on!) Or try to put a wrench on the crank.

If you know it's not stuck and a good fresh battery does not do it you might try going straight to the terminals on the starter. I am not certain how Rover starters look as to whether the solonoid is on the fender (ford/chrysler style) or on the starter motor itself (chevy style) but you may be able to ascertain this way if the starter itself is "ok."

Hope this helps

87xj95disco
10-05-2008, 05:11 PM
mine did the same thing turned the key and nothing.
the motor didnt turn had juice to the lights and everything else.
pulled the starter took it to autozone to have it tested turned out ok
got a new ground wire that was the problem
try a ground wire first only 5 bucks. disconnect the battery first before
working on the starter. check all the wires running from the battery to the starter hot and neg. clean all ends and connectors then go from there.
good luck

rvrsrvc
10-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Mike's headed in the right direction if the battery is up to snuff, but I think Rob's leading the way with a dead battery diagnosis!

Rob P
10-06-2008, 10:21 PM
The suspense is killing me.

http://www.komar.org/christmas/faq/electrical_overload.jpg

Tomb228
10-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Hey thanks for the help guys, it just turned out to be the dead battery. That's what I thought at first but I got a little worried when the door locks and everything flipped out. I picked up the Diehard Platinum from sears. I think it was 800+cca, 120rc, 4yr warrantee for $189.

Now to dig out the radio code...