PDA

View Full Version : Sos

tpyle
10-18-2008, 07:45 PM
I was at Rauch Creek going up a hill, 4 low w/ diff lock engaged, out side some one heard a pop or snap and I my front tires are not spinning in 4x4. Front drive shaft does spin. I can still drive, but if i turn off the diff lock, i just goes into neutral. I was able to put it into 4 high and drive home w diff lock engaged. Shifting gears though was a bit noisy and 3rd was hard to get!
Front axel, cv joint, transmition?

pbmonk
10-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Maybe one of the rear axle half-shafts has sheared? I guess you can tell whether the problem is front UJ or rear half-shaft by jacking up each corner one by one and trying to turn the wheel that is off the floor.

crazyfish
10-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Diff lock?

Rob P
10-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Here's my guess.

If front driveshaft spins when transfer case dif lock is locked then transfer case is OK.

It goes to neutral when in "non-lock" I think because the differential or a front half shaft broke. With nothing to stop the spinning of the driveshaft in the front end all the available torque when the transfer case is in non-lock goes to the front axle and evaporates due to the broken part making it seem like neutral. I would say it's front axle.

tpyle
10-19-2008, 12:05 PM
I lifted each wheels off the ground independantly, both rear wheels would not move, however, both of the front wheels spun like pinwheels with no resistance.

rvrsrvc
10-19-2008, 06:48 PM
I lifted each wheels off the ground independantly, both rear wheels would not move, however, both of the front wheels spun like pinwheels with no resistance.

When you spun the front wheels, was the t-case in 4 wheel? If yes, then the problem is in the diff. If no, then you need to spin them again and see which one still free wheels.
I left you a message Saturday asking about free wheeling hubs in the front. Does your Rover have them?

tpyle
10-19-2008, 07:51 PM
When you spun the front wheels, was the t-case in 4 wheel? If yes, then the problem is in the diff. If no, then you need to spin them again and see which one still free wheels.
I left you a message Saturday asking about free wheeling hubs in the front. Does your Rover have them?

I had it in 4 high, diff lock engaged, but it was turned off. So i guess i am saying yes it was in 4 wheel. I do not have free wheeling hubs.

So how bad is this? I will need professional help on this won't I.

Rob P
10-19-2008, 09:13 PM
I will need professional help on this won't I.

No, just E-town Trevor's.

I am thinking differential as in either spider gears or pinion gear.

tpyle
10-20-2008, 08:53 AM
LOL, this may be way past my level of automotive skills.

Frank84
10-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Replacing the spider gears or pinion might be past your skills - but you can check and figure out what the problem is. In fact, if one of the gears is broken you can just replace the assembly with a used one for cheap. Pulling the half shafts and diff assembly isn't too hard.

Rob P
10-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Just take your time, take pictures of each step if need be, lay parts out in the order they came off and reassembly is the reverse of the removal.

Nothing like a good shop day provided you have a semi-descent place to work.http://www.psu.edu/dept/spacegrant/k12/images/materials6.JPG

tpyle
10-21-2008, 11:52 AM
LOL

As much as I think I would like to undertake this project, my garage is in need of a garage, and I have only basic tools.
I am hoping to get it running for Robesonia on the 3rd, this is more than likely too short of a notice for a shop day, however, if the mechanic doesn't work out. That will be my next post.