PDA

View Full Version : Electrial puzzle

LC Rover
11-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Electrical problem

Running lights and lic. Plate wires were crispy. Cut them all out and rewired. Wire from the switch (for running lights) on the dash was crisp as well. Cut out and replaced. They all work correctly now. Problem…. The charging light for the alt. now comes on and stays on at higher rpm, . Put meter on battery, increased engine speed, reading (14V) stayed the same as idle. I had a spare alt. handy (AC Delco) installed it, still the same problem. What next.

scatterling
11-07-2008, 06:32 PM
don't know much about wiring....but I will throw terms around anyway. :D
Maybe the voltage regulator is bad or perhaps the starter solenoid?

Rob P
11-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Charging light.........something must have come loose in the "rewiring" of the other lights. 13.8V is what to aim for so 14 is good. Not sure how it "knows" the voltage is low but I think I would install an aftermarket voltmeter and take out the stock bulb. Unless this is a show piece then all bets are off.

sven
11-08-2008, 09:42 AM
How are the grounds for those lights? One thing Ive noticed (on series trucks) is if something isnt grounded properly, it tries to find grounds through other paths. I had ground problems on the tailights and everytime I pressed the brakes, the side marker lights and headlights would also come on.

LC Rover
11-08-2008, 09:50 AM
I will give all a try, something has to give. If none of the ideas work, I am going to tare the dash apart and see what I can find.

scatterling
11-18-2008, 06:22 PM
...any updates on the puzzle?

LC Rover
11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Here is the update. When the wires shorted out, it took the voltage regulator with it, battery was run down with all of the welding it was doing. Charged up the battery and put in a new regulator in the alt., back in business.

scatterling
11-19-2008, 06:17 PM
....wait.....what...I was right? :eek:

I mean...yeah, like I said, I was right.... :cool:

crazyfish
11-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Good, now get your butt over here and figure out how to make my gas gauge work! lol

LC Rover
11-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Maybe this weekend-but first we have to get to it smoke first

oscar
12-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Good, now get your butt over here and figure out how to make my gas gauge work! lol

Sensor vs gauge.... briefly short out the wires going to the sender.... If the gauge jumps it's the sender. It's a potentiometer and creates a variable resistance. The gauge sends voltage, and measures what comes back. Usually the sender (really a misnomer) gets hung up or gunked up.