PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Toad goes to the doctor....

oscar
12-13-2008, 09:52 AM
More than a year and a half after driving him off the boat, I am finally getting around to giving Mr. Toad the attention he deserves. Now, I am trying everything I can to NOT end up with a naked frame.......:eek: Just the things he needs to be safe and functional.....

So far the radiator/thermostat is out and on the way to the radiator shop, all cooling hoses. Ignition needs everything (except the dizzy I hope.) Carb will be rebuilt. Also replacing the forward engine cover oil seal in an attempt to slow down (notice I didn't say stop) the environmental impact.... Air cleaner hoses. All brake cylinders, shoes, springs......oil change and filter.... sticking with the original for now. Maybe a spin on conversion later. All drivetrain fluids change....(They leak even better after you do that, I know.) Speedo cable....

Did compression check.... low 100's across the board cold....sources tell me this is encouraging.

Still shopping for upper doors..... Hello Doylestown, do you read?

scatterling
12-13-2008, 11:34 AM
funny....I think that was similar to the list of "to-do's" I had before my frame became naked.....:D

oscar
12-13-2008, 08:09 PM
I know, I know......... a clear and present danger. But, I also have a boat to do in bay #4 so I cannot get carried away..... Spent a good while on the phone with Trevor at the Rovah Farm.... box with goodies is in the mail....I am committed....(or should be).

oscar
01-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Spent more time on the phone with Trevah...... Still taking pieces off..... New pieces have arrived..... a few more to order..... Must be done in time for SCC :eek:

http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/DF25/Linkto_files/IMG_0206.jpg

Frank84
01-04-2009, 06:10 PM
I love NEW parts!

oscar
01-04-2009, 11:06 PM
So do I....... Added another feature to the barn today:

http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/DF25/Linkto_files/IMG_0210.jpg

flippedrover
01-04-2009, 11:15 PM
next to the lift most important part

Frank84
01-05-2009, 07:45 AM
TV, mini fridge, and a lift - no need to ever leave the barn!

oscar
01-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Don't forget the commode upstairs.....:D

Today I made life difficult for myself. After fitting the front cover and the waterpump, and tightening everything down, I realized that I had forgotten to set up the spline for the pulley.....ie in and up...... It was on the bottom when I started and had fallen out into the cover during the "offering"......

Fortunately the oil pan was still off and I was able to wiggle the piece over to the edge, around the big bearing and out.....

Trying to get it in the slot was another story..... large tweezers and other dentist paraphernalia..... several times (repeat the wiggle around the bearing each time).... Finally I was able to get it in the slot and get the pulley on there.....I was determined NOT to take that cover off again.

But I digress.....

Once the pulley and the dog were back on I checked the valve clearance. I know, the motor was cold.... but still .020 - .018 Wonder if someone got his inches and mm mixed up. (The last time they were touched was before my time in the UK......

Now, it wasn't running right before we went into rehab, but the ignition wasn't healthy either. What are, generally speaking, the symptoms of and engine running with twice the valve clearance?

oscar
01-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Test fired today, and I am very proud of myself. After a little tweaking it idled like a sewing machine and revved quite nicely. :D :D :D

Now I have to put the axles and brakes together.