PDA

View Full Version : My 109

rvrsrvc
12-15-2008, 04:36 PM
So, I went out today and started the ol' 6 cylinder. Haven't driven it since before the MAR when I broke the leaf spring.
Fired right up, settled down to a nice idle.
Just the incentive I needed. Come the week between Xmas and NYD, I am going to make it roadworthy again. Fuel tank, parabolics, shocks, disc brake conversion, and whatever fettling necessary to go to Rausch on NYD.
Can't wait!

crazyfish
12-15-2008, 04:46 PM
I'd like to hear about the disc conversion....

rvrsrvc
12-15-2008, 11:27 PM
The kit offered by Rocky Mountain using GM/Delco components. The GM rotors are machined to fit the hub, but the caliper, hose and pads are right off- the- shelf parts.
And they recommend fitting a dual circuit master cylinder as found on the S3.

oscar
12-16-2008, 12:33 AM
How does the caliper affix to the axle???

scatterling
12-16-2008, 06:21 AM
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/discBrake_Torrel.htm

looks like a pretty cool package

rvrsrvc
12-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Glue? Gum? Sticky road residue? Needs to get the brakes hot to help it cure though?

galen211
12-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Stopping is so overrated.

rvrsrvc
12-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Stopping without veering, locking up, squirming, and sinking is overrated.

oscar
12-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Darn that looks fine....:)

Yes, braking surprises are interesting. I particularly like the locked-up-brake-trying-to-back-out-of-the-garage-after-sitting-for-a-while.....:D

flippedrover
12-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Darn that looks fine....:)

Yes, braking surprises are interesting. I particularly like the locked-up-brake-trying-to-back-out-of-the-garage-after-sitting-for-a-while.....:D
My fav so far was the backward down the hill rock stop at SCC last year. You did fix the brakes right Oscar?

oscar
12-16-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm in the process.....but it wouldn't have saved me. I will have CHAINS!:D

flippedrover
12-16-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm in the process.....but it wouldn't have saved me. I will have CHAINS!:D

Me? I was riding with you!

rvrsrvc
12-22-2008, 07:14 PM
On the lift, starting the quarter frame/parabolic/shock repair.
Realised that I LOVE my plasma cutter.
Amazing that that monster powerplant didn't leave the rear axle back at the stoplight-just a wee bit rusty.

oscar
12-23-2008, 05:20 AM
Me? I was riding with you!

Details, details.....:D

L Front brake fully disassembled, including backing plate removed for painting. Working on right side. Lots of parts ordered...

That reminds me.... I have to put a 220V outlet in. Got a Plasma Cutter/Tig welder, but haven't used it yet. Was going to use it for the Classic body repairs before I came to my senses. Will need power when the occasion arises.

Rob P
12-25-2008, 11:33 PM

Does the cutter use any "consumables"?

I'd love to be able to use a plasma cutter for about an hour to cut some tube steel up for a bumper project I have planned but not started for the D-1. I have the welder and rods for completing it.

oscar
12-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Rob, you can call me and give me an excuse to hook this thing up and read the instructions.......:D 610-814-oh eight eight three......

rvrsrvc
12-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Allrighty then. Got the forward spring outriggers mounted, the new springs, the new shocks, and the rear spring outriggers. Crossmember's in, but not going to be pretty. I started to rush it as I needed the lift for some of the work here and Galen's party Sunday. Got sloppy ugly welds and was really exhausted. At least it's driveable in and out of the shop for the next round. And with no muffler, the 2.6 sounds racy.

rvrsrvc
01-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Much progress has happened since Christmas! Fixed the wipers-loose nut at the motor/transmission; sealed up a number of air leaks at the tunnel- drove today with my jacket off at 11*; discovered that there is either no or stuck open thermostat and that cardboard across 3/4 of the radiator git's r dun for today; adjusted the carb and the choke for really nice idle and choke operation; tightened a loose piece of trim over at the head rail- couldn't believe it made that much noise; cleaned the contacts and adjusted the voltage regulator to make it charge; shimmed the oil pressure relief for more pressure at idle hot.

Next:
disc brake conversion parts are here, fit a dual circuit master cylinder, and I need to replace the transmission with the one from Willard that i picked up last summer.

Frank84
01-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Wish I could say i was getting as much done here as you. The cold weather has put a real damper on working. I think a heated garage should be my next rover mod.

rvrsrvc
01-16-2009, 02:15 PM
And a good stereo in the shop, especially if one spends as much time by one's self in the shop as I do.

Ken Heaton
01-16-2009, 03:57 PM
:cool:
And a good stereo in the shop, especially if one spends as much time by one's self in the shop as I do.

I have a wireless transmitter and receiver that allows me to listen to music from my computer located in the house, that way you can listen to music from the hard drive or streaming audio from the internet. Basically you can listen to the same music inside the garage or house at the same time.:p

Rob P
01-16-2009, 11:29 PM
you can listen to the same music inside the garage or house at the same time.:p

That works out great unless your S.O. is in the house listening to P.Diddy while you want to listen to Suicidal Tendancies in the garage.

who am I kiddin, I got a shed with a push mower..........the garage is a dream

scatterling
01-17-2009, 07:37 AM
... listen to Suicidal Tendancies in the garage.

...good choice for the story :cool:

rvrsrvc
01-21-2009, 09:34 AM
My 109 fell through the ice! Playing in the backyard, nosed into the water hazard and broke through about 5 inches of ice. Couldn't get it out on it's own, so I employed my Disco. Tugged it back, got out of the trough and rode around the outside. Could have backed the Disco out and that would be that. Nope. Buried over the hubs. Battery weak and winch was killing the engine under heavy load- alternator couldn't keep up. Re-ran the winch to a snatch block and recovered it with a double line pull before it the ice refroze. Did I mention that this was with inappropriate footwear and a rapidly encroaching darkness?
The Disco is muuuuuddddddyyyyy, the 109 has a dirty rim.

Fun either way....

galen211
01-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Rough day at work?

Ivar
01-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Some of us just arent allowed to play with their toys while at work.

oscar
01-25-2009, 04:07 PM

Home base station for the XM plugged into cheap 2x60W amp from Radio Shaft and a few large speakers from the time when speakers were large. Jam-56.....all jam bands, Dead, Fish, Matthews and on..... no commercials. 20+ minute grooves...... Oooohm.

Note shelf in corner with speaker and amp under....

http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/DF25/Linkto_files/IMG_0181.jpg

Frank84
01-26-2009, 07:41 AM
When is the shop day at your house to test all the new upgrades?