PDA

View Full Version : Steering Box

oscar
12-17-2008, 11:53 PM
From the pretty pictures in the book it appears that the 4 fixings that hold the steering box to it's bracket are threaded into the box.... Can someone confirm this?

I have one missing and two loose/stripped?.....:eek:

The other side of the steering box is covered by the tin box in the wheel well and I ran out of time and energy to take it off as the fixings are corroded and I need three arms to be inside, under and on top of the vehicle to get them out....

scatterling
12-18-2008, 06:29 AM
not sure if IIA and III are the same but... mine has 2 bolts with nuts going through the box and bracket (lower I think) and 2 upper bolts of different lengths screwed into the box itself

siiirhd88
12-18-2008, 10:13 AM
I agree, two bolts with nuts and washers, two thread into the box casting. My SIII's have larger diameter bolts than the SIIA. If your threaded holes are stripped and are the smaller diameter, perhaps you candrill ant tap to the larger size, or use a threaded insert.

Bob

oscar
12-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Yup, took the cover box off the other side and you guys are correct..... I can tighten. Just need to get one of the missing uppers.....:D

2 upper bolts of different lengths

3/4" and 1"

Picture of "surgery center"....

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh117/oscarvanl/IMG_0193.jpg

siiirhd88
12-18-2008, 05:43 PM
I think the bolt thread is standard NC threads for the ones that thread onto the casting. I replaced the bolts with Grade 8 ones, from the home center.

Bob

oscar
12-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Yup, secured the box..... MUCH better. In fact there are locking washers that are supposed to go on there.... trying to get a hold of some.