PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Noise and ABS

PerryBrits
01-07-2009, 07:37 AM
I am hearing a noise, passenger side of the truck. The noise is intermittent and seems to be wheel related. I checked the brakes and there doesn't appear to be a problem with the rotors or pads. The noise is more the tone of a trumpet than a screech... I have also noticed that, on occasion, if I am hitting the brakes, I get ABS action and my ability to stop quickly is diminished. The issue just started this past week. Although I am throwing some codes, none are related to the braking system (need new O2 sensors)...any ideas are appreciated!

PerryBrits
01-07-2009, 07:41 AM
It is a 99 DI

rvrsrvc
01-07-2009, 09:06 AM
When you were checking the pads and rotors, did you have the wheel off the ground or were you looking through the wheel? Were you able to ck for play in the hub bearings? How recently were the brake rotors replaced- often the abs sensor gets knocked as the hub is extracted and creates a too great air gap. Wouldn't make nosies, but would trick the abs.
How many miles? Is the swivel ball housing leaking- a loss of lube can cause a cv support bearing failure that will throw the cv into an ellipse instead of a circlular orbit.
Whew! That should be enough questions to get us started on a diagnosis!

oscar
01-07-2009, 01:49 PM
The noise is more the tone of a trumpet than a screech...

Is there a passenger stuck in the door?

PerryBrits
01-07-2009, 09:59 PM
No passengers stuck in the door... I have around 144K on the truck. I got to thinking bearing today and will check the play and so forth this weekend. I had the wheel off the ground, tire off.