PDA

View Full Version : Paint removal on series 3 stage 1

jcwales
01-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Removing the paint from the side and rear metal trim ( this is the trim that is usually not painted on the series) When the paint is removed will this rust? I have seen many series with this look and I am in the process of removing it. Should it be coated with anything? Thanks. Cheers

scatterling
01-14-2009, 07:20 PM
probably not, the trim should be galvanized. It will only rust if the galvanizing is chipped or scratched off.

LC Rover
01-14-2009, 07:47 PM
When I removed the 10 layers of MOD paint from my trim pieces, they were almost in perfect condition. The paint was acting as a protection agent.

jcwales
01-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Any suggestions for the actual paint removal? I am using cleen strip ks3 and then sanding with a med. grit and then a fine grit.

jcwales
01-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Forgot to ask once the paint is removed do have to buff or polish the galvanized at all? Thanks again

LC Rover
01-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I used a right angle grinder with a wire brush attachment. I did not let the grinder dwell on any one spot for any length of time. Removed paint down to bare galvy, moved to the next spot. I do not remember the name of the stripper that I used, but I got the stripper from Home Depot. Do not use the wire brush on any other type of metal and then go back to the galy (Small particles of metal will imbed itself in the wire brush and will transfer itself back to the galvy and will start to oxidize).

crazyfish
01-14-2009, 09:41 PM
I always had great luck with Kwik, marine version. PS. Your skin will not like this. You can always spray a coat of flat clear coat over the galvy.