PDA

View Full Version : Broken diff pictures

Disco96JSWB
01-19-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm always curious to see what broke, and why?

The 'why' is either inexperience or dumb-ness. The second day we had our Range Rover Classic we were overly-enthusiastic at Rausch Creek.

The part that broke is the pin between the spider gears. It broke in two places. One end dropped into the bottom of the axle case. The middle piece somehow dropped into the space vacated by the first piece and stayed there. The longest piece slid in and out every time the crown wheel went around and was getting shorter and shorter.

We drove 80 miles back from RC, then to Trevor's and back for Galen's shop day, with a romp in the mud thrown in.

We bought a replacement courtesy of Randy so we're on track for SCC.

- Jeremy and Jake

pushngo
01-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Unbelievable that didn't gernade on the road you are a lucky guy.

Frank84
01-20-2009, 10:01 AM
I'd be willing to bet that broke on the hill you kept charging at by lake christy. Amazing that held together so long afterward.

galen211
01-20-2009, 10:17 AM
I'd be willing to bet that broke on the hill you kept charging at by lake christy. Amazing that held together so long afterward.

I think that hill hates you, it certainly has given you enough grief.

Disco96JSWB
01-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I agree that it probably happened on that hill. The funny thing is it made no noise at all under load (throttle), and just a light knocking on the over-run. The only time it sounded really bad was after Trevor's mud, but that got better on the way home after a while.

In the meantime, I believe the LR3 front diff has failed. Bad noise and vibration, heavier steering, and it seems that the wheels drag while turning in a parking lot. I should know tomorrow.

None of this is my fault.

- Jeremy

galen211
01-20-2009, 01:45 PM
None of this is my fault.

- Jeremy

Classic!