PDA

View Full Version : Skiing

rvrsrvc
01-24-2009, 08:34 AM
We're taking the first weekend of Februaury to have a family snow weekend. Max is 4 y.o. and I'm looking for family friendly ski resorts.
Any recommendations on the East Coast? NY, WVA, VA, PA?

LC Rover
01-24-2009, 09:49 AM
The only first hand experience with a resort geared toward kids and the family is Smuggler Notch up in VT. Long drive for a weekend. My wife and myself are avid skiers, we dropped them off in the morning screaming and carrying on, tried to pick them up in the PM, they did not want to leave. My kids were a little older 8 and 6, by the time the trip was over we were skiing with them on the bunny trails. Some thing you might want to look into. also I forgot to mention its only about 15 miles or so from Rovers North(Write it off as a business trip) Hope this helps for the future. You might want to look into the resort in Va. Wintergreen. Never there in the winter, we were there in the summer they had a good kids program.

Hammertime
01-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Hey Trevor, I have skied at 7 Springs it is pretty nice they have newbie hill where you can rent equip and get lessons as a package.

pushngo
01-24-2009, 05:28 PM
I didn't mind Camelback near SCC. I belive Evan used to be an instructor there.

oscar
01-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Evan taught at Shawnee.

I taught at Alpine. If your main focus is going to be the little ones, I can recommend Alpine. It is small, and rarely gets busy. It is off most of the punks' radars. There is a half pipe, but that crowd stays over there. There are just a few lifts, but all trails end in the same place, which can be seen from the large glass wall in the lodge. Small and manageable, and more affordable than the rest. The ski school is pretty friendly.

http://www.alpinemountain.com/

If the better skiers need to get their fixes and ride high speed quads and do bump runs, then I suggest Camelback. Multiple lodges, more schlepping with little ones and lots of ways to get separated.....

Hammertime
01-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Hey just got back from Whitetail, Pretty nice skiing for a south central Pa. They had one whole left side of the area that was for newbies. Only about a hour and some for your house in Harrisburg. Twenty minutes from mine. First time there today, was impressed.I think you would like it.

http://www.skiwhitetail.com/

Frank84
01-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Belleayre in the Catskills is pretty good.

rvrsrvc
01-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks all for the input! We're torn between making a bigger trip, and starting small. Within a mile of my house, there is a hill on 341 and as I crest it, I can see lots of snow on Roundtop, and it looks great at night!
Andrea's not really the outdoor type, and Max is probably only good for a few hours.
I think we'll start small and local, see how it goes.
I tried to promote VT as a write off, but that's a long way to go for probably not a lot of mountain time.