PDA

View Full Version : Off Road Driving on Eastern Shore (Assateague maybe)

firemanshort
01-27-2009, 09:59 PM
It looks like I am going on a family vacation this summer to Cape Charles, VA. It will be a whole extended family kind of deal - maybe 15 of us all together. So I am already planning my escape .... ;)

I know you can get an OHV permit for $70 and drive on the beach at Assateague. The web sites I have read makes it sound very crowded (2 to 3 hour wait times to drive on beach because it is at capacity :confused: ).

Does any here have any first hand information? Are there other places to explore? I would be more interested in exploring than beach fishing.

Oh.. to make things worse ... I will be there in August - peak tourist season - peak crowds.

crazyfish
01-27-2009, 10:27 PM
ROVERS used to do this in the spring as an event. The season was just starting and almost had the whole place to ourselves camping. One year we had a terrific storm, and another was just fine. Beach was empty both years due to the timing and the green headed flying monsters had yet to make their appearance. It was great fun being on the beach.

firemanshort
01-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Crazyfish -

So it sounds like ROVERS used to go to Assateague. And, I am not sure what you mean by Green-Headed Monsters. Since I will be there peak season - I am still looking for someone who has been in August and can tell me what that is like.

Is there any other beach driving on the Eastern Shore - especially furhter south?

flippedrover
01-29-2009, 01:16 AM
Crazyfish -

So it sounds like ROVERS used to go to Assateague. And, I am not sure what you mean by Green-Headed Monsters. Since I will be there peak season - I am still looking for someone who has been in August and can tell me what that is like.

Is there any other beach driving on the Eastern Shore - especially furhter south?
Think he means the horse flies. I know down in Nag Head they suck not sure about up this way though but I'd guess they are just as much a problem.