PDA

View Full Version : LR3 front differential failure

Disco96JSWB
02-06-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm (mostly) posting this so that people doing a Google search on LR3 or "Discovery 3" find a reference to LR3 front differential or axle and failure or problem or vibration or whine . . .

The front diff in my 2006 (Sept 2005 build date) failed at 39,000 miles, under warranty. I left work, felt a momentary hesitation after a few hundred yards, and immediately heard a new whine and slight vibration under throttle. The sound and vibration weren't present on the over-run. Over the next week (250 miles) the sound and vibration got progressively worse. After about 200 miles, the front diff was locked.

The dealer was great (West Chester). They replaced the diff and an axle (couldn't get the old one out of the bad diff). Took 9 days, but the LR2 they provided was a nice change of pace. Things seem fine now. Overall, I'm still impressed with my off-lease LR3.

rvrsrvc
02-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Mine went at 31k on a slightly later '06. Not as much activity as Jeremy's, but I noticed a noise that I would have intially said wheel bearing. Previous owner might not have heard it over the MT/R's.