PDA

View Full Version : Project Llama.

spitfire1776
02-17-2009, 10:36 PM
......so I'm really bad at doing the project progress picture thing. I have had plenty of different projects over the years, none ever document. SO I am going to try and at least keep some record of this one.

Picked this up President day. Despite how it looks, actually drove it through the fields of the farm I bought it from and up to the tow truck. Runs good. Needs major frame repair. I don't think I'm gonna be able to go the replacement frame route, so I'm pricing out material to either make replacement pieces or whole new frame. Came with extra front fenders/grill and doors in better shape with glass.

Rob P
02-17-2009, 11:21 PM
[QUOTE=spitfire1776 Needs major frame repair.[/QUOTE]

Best of luck with your Series.

NOTE: When he says it needs major frame repair I can vouch for this. I stopped by and looked at it on monday after he got it home. Heidi Ann Swiss cheese has less holes than that frame.

Tom109
02-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Last year, there was an over-abundance of 109" frames floating around. Might be easier/cheaper than you think...

Tom P.

spitfire1776
02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna keep an eye out. I'm not in much of hurry. But my company just yesterday is taking 20% wage cuts across the board (apparently temporarily until thing pick back up), so things are gonna move slow now on the project front.

spitfire1776
03-17-2009, 04:15 PM
So there might be a change in project direction. I'm gravitating between a new frame, OR fitting to a disco chassis. Or rather altering a disco chassis to accept the body. Any advice on this angle?

Frank84
03-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Sounds like a lot of work to move a series to a DI/RRC chassis. I'm sure it can be done with some careful measuring, a sawzall, and welder.

However, based on my somewhat limited experience building things out of metal - plan on it taking 5 times longer than you think it should and costing a bit more too. Personally, I'd save up for the replacement Series chassis unless you really, really want coil springs. Look around for a used chassis if you're on a budget.

scatterling
03-18-2009, 07:54 AM
....mmmmmm. I just might know where there is a 109" frame ! :D

evilfij
07-01-2009, 01:47 PM
I sent you a PM. Please email me at evilfij [at] yahoo {dot} com

Thanks,

Ron