PDA

View Full Version : CB radios

thechrisr
03-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Can anyone recommend a good compact CB radio to install in my Disco. I don't want a monster that takes a lot of space but something with a good range and is easy to use ans visible controls. I'll primarily be using it during club events.

Also if you can recommend a good off road antenna to install on my bumper would be good too.

-Chris
95 D1

grnthng
03-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Chris, I believe you are not that far from the big Petro truck stop off I-80, their stores sell everything you need.... not sure if they have a CB shop or not!
However, I am sure about the other Petro ( used to be the All-American ) truck stop in Frystown down off of I-78... full service CB shop, radio's, anntenna's, mounting hrwr; ETC;......

mlp141
03-04-2009, 01:26 PM
I haven't used this before, but I know that some folks on DWeb are fans of this all-in-one unit from Cobra:

http://www.cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=314&category_ID=30

FWIW, I am considering installing on of these in my truck.

Hammertime
03-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I wish someome made a CB radio that also had the frs and gmrs built in.

Rob P
03-05-2009, 11:09 PM
For my money, being a CB radio geek from the early 90's, the K-40 Magnet mount on the roof is the best way to go. You can unhook the antenna easily and stow it inside in a parking garage or crime area so it'll be safe. I've seen the antenna itself bent over at a 90 degree angle about 6" up from the base without the magnet moving. Of course on a disco it'd be roof mount only. They are kinda salty at $90 but worth it. http://www.rightchannelradios.com/k40-cb-antenna-108/k40-cb-antenna-58-magnet-mount-483.html

For radio? Midland makes some small sizes that work OK. All CB radios are federally limited to 4 watts output on AM so you really don't get much in difference between brands or models. Modulation (amount of talk volume) you get varies from one to another though. Want to really go upscale get a Uniden 2510 and get the frequency unlocked. It is a 10 meter radio that will run very nicely on 11 meter (CB band) and is also very illegal that way. It is also high power with sideband and FM transmission. Galaxy makes some kick ass units too.

For me? I got a Wilson 500 magnet mount antenna and a Uniden Grant XL CB. Ceiling mounted the radio stealing power off of the auto dimming rear view mirror wire and roof mounted the antenna.

bovw
03-06-2009, 07:50 AM
I run a Midland Model 1001Z. My Wife got it at Radio Shack for $30 I think. It's only about 6 inches wide, mounted to the passenge side console facing up. For an antenna I have a K-40 also, mounted on my RTE bumper. I've had that for years, so I have #0 in my setup.

Shazbat
05-31-2009, 11:53 AM
I gotta agree with the K-40 suggestion. Wilson makes terrific Antennas (Antennae?). My CB was the most reliable part of my Defender.