PDA

View Full Version : D-1+2"shocks Equals?

Rob P
03-25-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm interested in a set of rear plus 2" shocks for the rear of a D-1. Anybody have a USED pair? Bring to Robesonia?

Frank84
03-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Are you asking for 2" longer shocks - which will probably require extended brake lines? Or are you asking for shocks that go with a 2" lift like OME or rovertym? OME shocks that go with a 2" lift are only ~1/2" longer (which translates to about 1" at the wheel with the geometry) and don't require extended brake lines.

Rob P
03-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Not sure Frank, I only know I've seen them listed in magazines as 2"+ shocks for lifted suspensions.

I've added lift blocks under the springs and wanted to let'er droop a bit more than the stockers allow.

Trevor
03-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Are you asking for 2" longer shocks - which will probably require extended brake lines? Or are you asking for shocks that go with a 2" lift like OME or rovertym? OME shocks that go with a 2" lift are only ~1/2" longer (which translates to about 1" at the wheel with the geometry) and don't require extended brake lines.

I thought that lowered shock mounts (which drop the upper mount 2" and effectively make the extended shock length 2" longer) were commonly used with 2" lifts without extended brake lines. I guess spring retainers are usually used with this set up rather than cones, so the springs may be the limiting factor rather than the shocks? Just wondering.

Frank84
03-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Rob - after seeing your truck, I think you're looking for shocks that are meant for a 2" lift not necessarily ones that are 2" longer. The common OME/Bilstein replacements will work perfect for you and are not too long that they'll give a problem with the brake lines.

Trevor - I'm not expert on this so someone might correct me. But I think if you just put a 2" extension on the shocks then you might be over extending the brake lines a hair in some cases. If you leave your sway bars on then I think they'll be the limiting factor but if you remove them then all bets are off. There are a lot of subtle differences in brake lines between DI/DII/ABS RRC/non-ABS RRC so there might not be one simple answer - front/rear would be different as well.

I do know that a DII with OME shocks and sway bars removed will only have ~1/2" of flex left in the rubber brake lines when the travel is maxed out. A non-abs RRC with the same setup will have a bit more slack but not a ton.

Rob P
03-28-2009, 09:45 PM
extended brake lines are in my future, but not yet. depends on how the rest of the year goes as far as $

Tom109
03-30-2009, 12:37 PM
The D1 front suspension is so limited by design, that even with OME 2" springs and OME shocks, extended lines are almost too long. The rear depends what you do with the suspension. It's only a single line, so it may be easier to replace and not worry.

A simple way to improve rear articulation (no sway bars), is to add +2" springs, extend the shock 1.5", extend the bump stops 1.5", and install upper spring retainers. This works really well on the trail, and is great for all-around use.

The theory is to utilize the extended shock length by levering the drooping wheel downward - hence the extended bump stops. The taller bump stop is crucial. If you leave them stock your drooping wheel tends to float or hang, dependant on cargo load, and you'll be close to stock articulation. This is not a spring-drop-out system either, so you want to retain the upper spring.

Once you start to play with spacers and longer shocks you run the risk of popping the rear spring out of this upper mount. This is retainer vs. cone territory....

Tom P.

Rob P
09-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Bump, I'd still be interested in some longer shocks for a D-1 if anybody has some oldies laying around.

Trevor
09-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Rob,

I don't have any used shocks to offer, but I can tell you what I did for the rear axel.

I converted the bottom mount to use a loop to loop shock. I then got a pair of Doestch prerunner shocks with 9 inches of travel (I'd have to look to find the part number). These shocks cost roughly the same as pro comps but seem to have a better reputation than procomps and ranchos, not that that means a lot. Unfortunatley I haven't had a chance to put them to the test (off road), but they do ride nicely, imho.

I can provide you with more details if you like, let me know.

Rob P
09-27-2009, 03:46 PM
could be interesting......I'll think about that one.