PDA

View Full Version : Series 1 engine swap

Disco96JSWB
04-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Anybody know the in's-and-out's of putting a 2.25 liter engine (Series II/III) in an early Series 1 (80") chassis?

(I'm aware of Merc 240D and Chevy "iron duke" conversions, but L-R seems the best long-term bet.)

How about details of putting Series II/III axles under an 80" chassis? (Rear springs are narrower than later springs.)

There must be articles in old L-R magazines, but not in any of the ones I have.

Here are a few pictures of the beginning of this project . . .

http://picasaweb.google.com/range.rover.trail.truck/1951LandRoverSeriesOne80Project?feat=directlink

rvrsrvc
04-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Oh, Jeremy, you're not well are you?

spechols
04-02-2009, 08:42 AM
And which of us are well????? - not me!

Disco96JSWB
04-02-2009, 05:44 PM

No, and it isn't getting any better.

oscar
04-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark...

Frank84
04-03-2009, 09:20 AM
You may want to send Tom Bache an email about the axles. I assume you want SII/SIII because they're full floaters. If that is the reason then I think there is some kind of hub spacer/adaptor so you can use the later axles on the semi floating SI without swaping the whole case/diff. Tom was just telling me about this a month or two ago.

Disco96JSWB
04-03-2009, 05:48 PM
You may want to send Tom Bache an email about the axles. I assume you want SII/SIII because they're full floaters. If that is the reason then I think there is some kind of hub spacer/adaptor so you can use the later axles on the semi floating SI without swaping the whole case/diff. Tom was just telling me about this a month or two ago.

The Series IIA axles are a bit wider (about 1.5"), which would provide wider f&r track. Also, there are some un-obtanium parts in the original axles that make me want to keep them as spares for the 1953. I'm hoping to bring the chassis and some other key parts (like narrow rear springs) to Build-a-Rover to get some advice. But I am going to send Tom an e-mail in the meantime too.

One key issue is to find a Series II mechanical clutch bellhousing/linkage. The Series IIA engine and gearbox will then fit right in (with an electric fan in front of the radiator).

Frank84
04-03-2009, 06:57 PM
If your going for ease of repair and some extra width then I guess you'll want the whole housing. I had thought maybe you wanted the full floaters to run manual hubs for flat towing or something. I'm sure Tom and others will be a big help on the 25th.