PDA

View Full Version : Rear prop shaft!!

scatterling
04-04-2009, 08:15 AM
anyone have any other tricks for getting the universal joints out of the rear prop shaft? The clips are out and the joints have been soaking for days in PB but won't budge! I've used the BFH just as described but nothing is moving.
heeeeelllp!

Tom109
04-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Neil,

Get it nice and clean and make sure a PO didn't whack a big nick in the yoke, preventing the cups from coming out!

I use a vise and sockets. Choose one socket that will fit "through" the yoke opening, and one large enough for the opposite cup to fit "in". Then press the smaller socket in, while it pushes the opposite cup out. Easy-peasy, right?

That said, I have had UJ's that were just plain going nowhere...

You could hit the cups with a little heat on the outside - just don't heat up the yoke. Sometimes that little bit of thermal shock can break the grip.

Just be glad you don't have a centering pin like those darn DC shafts!!!

Tom P.

sven
04-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Hey Neil, didnt you pay attention at Trevors shop day?

LC Rover
04-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Neil:
If the vise trick does not work, I have a press that we use .

scatterling
04-04-2009, 07:23 PM
thanks Tom...one down, one to go. Even with the vice they were really in there!
Sven, if I recall it took about all day for two people to change Galen's U joints :D .....so no, I guess something shiney caught my eye instead....

Tom109
04-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Neil,

Progress is a good thing! UJ's are an area where the LR mantra, "slow as possible, fast as necessary" seriously applies!

Tom P.

spechols
04-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Sven, if I recall it took about all day for two people to change Galen's U joints :D .....so no, I guess something shiney caught my eye instead....
No it was real fast the first time - but then Sven had to fix my work. That is what took all day.:D

Evan
04-05-2009, 08:19 PM
And............ I have your boots