PDA

View Full Version : Build-a-Rover - begins Sat. April 25th 9am

Disco96JSWB
04-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Just pasting in text from Tom B.'s e-mail here in case anyone missed it . . .

Only one week to go before our latest event. Over a seven week period the
club members will recondition and assemble a complete S111 88" Land Rover.
Here is a chance to learn a new skill or technical education about the
working of Series Rovers. The end product will be road ready and auctioned
off, the net proceeds split between the club and a charity chosen by the
majority of members working on the vehicle.

If you have ever wanted to overhaul the Zenith carb or see the inner
workings of the transmission, sand blasting, wiring, or really like the
comraderie of a group project this is for you. The club will buy new oil and
filter, any wiring components, clutch hydraulics, and all new brake hydraulic
parts and shoes. Whatever isn't here, we hope the club members will scrounge
up from their stock pile of spares or beg from the public at large. We
will attempt to use all standard components, so the vehicle is serviceable to
the new owner when completed. We want to build a Rover everyone will want
to own.

On April 25th 9AM we will start with a scavenger hunt at my house to round
up all the parts. The chassis may need just a small amount of welding, the
body may need the have the old paint removed so we can get a good finish
for new paint. We will divide into teams to work on components, everyone
will take something home to recondition. All metal brackets will be returned
to black, so they can be ready for assembly the next week. Doors and
wings will need sanding and primer. The roof and tub can be prepped here, then

hauled away to Lebanon.
We will not work Memorial Day weekend.

Schedule:
April 25th 9AM
Tom Bache's house

May 2nd-June 13th ( except Memorial Weekend) 9AM Saturdays only

The Rover Shop
Lebanon, PA

Ivar
04-20-2009, 11:45 AM
A few questions:
Where would Tom B's email have been sent? I did not get it, so its a good thing you reposted it here.

Where is Tom Bs house?

Where is the Rover shop in Lebanon PA?

I would like to join in, in spite if the fact that with the lack of mechanical knowledge I have I could even be a hindrance. :rolleyes: Also, my availability may only be about 50% of those Saturdays (sounds like I'm trying really hard to get out of this already!)

Ivar

Disco96JSWB
04-20-2009, 12:58 PM
I removed the addresses and phone numbers from the original e-mail when I pasted it here. I will send you a PM with that info.

I also am interested in participating but have an ongoing conflict (Little League baseball) that will limit my available time.

I'm not sure where Tom's e-mail list comes from, but I bet he could let you know how to get added if you contact him.

Regards,
Jeremy

Frank84
04-20-2009, 06:43 PM
I think it is fine to come and go as much as you want during this build. I think any and all help is welcome. The big thing will be if you commit to repairing/painting/rebuilding a part just make sure you get it back when it is needed.

I'll probably only make two or three of the weekends because of other commitments.

crazyfish
04-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Please mention to Tom that posting on the club website would be beneficial to club members.

scatterling
04-22-2009, 04:47 PM
who is going on Saturday?

LC Rover
04-23-2009, 07:14 AM
I am going to try and make it....just need directions or someone who knows the way....hint,hint... I must be going Crazy

Ivar
04-23-2009, 09:41 AM
I will try be there. Going from King of Prussia if anyone needs a ride. I have to be back at 1:30 pm though.

Ivar

Disco96JSWB
04-23-2009, 06:34 PM
How lame is this . . .

We have a conflict every Saturday, but Tom's house is near ours, so we're going on Saturday morning even though we'll be useless for the rest of the project.

- Jeremy

Frank84
04-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Tom asked me to post his address and phone number on the forum so people know where to go tomorrow:

164 Ewart Rd
Avondale, PA 19311
610-268-8008

I believe the day starts around 9am. I've got a long haul to get there and am picking up so more help on the way so I may be there a few minutes (or so) later.

rvrsrvc
04-24-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm not going to be able to make it this Saturday, but would be willing to offer a shop day in the future- access to tools, blast cabinet and the like if a small group wants to head here for sub -assembly.
I'll try to make it to Lebanon for some of the other meets.

scatterling
04-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks to Tom and Mira for hosting Day 1. Also, thanks for a great lunch.
Some photo's of the day, much getting done.
http://picasaweb.google.com/scatterlingSA/BuildARover2009#
Sandblasting and cleaning, dismantling and painting. The engine is off to the machine shop and the axles and various components are cleaned, primed and painted.
A great start to what should turn out to be a great truck. Everyone left with 'homework' for the coming weeks. The consensus seems to be that the truck will be Sandstone in colour and that the charity for donation will be the SPCA.
Looking forward to the coming weeks....I must go sand and prime door bottoms...

galen211
04-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Was it discussed whether this will be auctioned or raffled off?

I think a raffle has the potential to make a lot more money. Just my $0.02

crazyfish
04-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Put Galen down for 100 tickets.

galen211
04-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Put Galen down for 100 tickets.

You better believe it. Who doesn't need another Series?

Frank84
04-29-2009, 06:14 AM
Next week build a rover moves to Bill's shop in Lebanon:

510 Prune Alley,
Lebanon, PA 17042

firemanshort
04-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Does anyone know that the tasks to be performed will be for this weekend or next? I saw that there was an engine block torn down - is there plans to start putting that back together or is it already rebuilt?

Rob P
04-29-2009, 09:55 PM
You better believe it. Who doesn't need another Series?

Oscar, Spechols, Roverlabs Trevor, Bob in Airville, Dave Mcmullin, Jeremy......Heck the list could be endless!

Frank84
04-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Does anyone know that the tasks to be performed will be for this weekend or next? I saw that there was an engine block torn down - is there plans to start putting that back together or is it already rebuilt?

Don't hold me to this, but I think the plan is to repair the chassis (weld and paint) and build the engine (at least the short block). We're also supposed to hang the axles and make it a rolling chassis.

Trevor
05-01-2009, 08:03 PM
I have the shocks, track rod and longitudinal steering tube (? I believe). They are painted and ready to go.

I'm just wondering if they'll be needed tomorrow. My grandmother died unexpectedly on Tuesday and there's a lot of family stuff going on. I can run them over to Lebanon tomorrow if they'll be needed, but it would be better for me if I could bring them over next weekend.

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Thanks,

oscar
05-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Oscar, Spechols, Roverlabs Trevor, Bob in Airville, Dave Mcmullin, Jeremy......Heck the list could be endless!

My ears were burning.....! Sure, I'd buy tickets. What's with the moon suits? The thing from Mexico? Wish I had more time....

Sorry about your grandmother Trevor.

Joe
05-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Any updates on the build? Where is it this Saturday, May 16?

Disco96JSWB
05-13-2009, 07:42 PM
We just dropped off a few parts we'd been working on and heard that the build is going well and that the axles are under the chassis. I believe there were 8 working on it last week. Saturday is in Lebanon again.

Frank84
05-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Tom B. said we'd likely pick up with the engine again May 30th since the rings that were ordered were for a standard bore and ours ended up already being .020 over.

rvrsrvc
05-15-2009, 06:58 AM
Arrrrggghhh, another weekend I can't make it!

scatterling
05-28-2009, 08:15 PM
...so it's almost Saturday again. Anyone going this weekend?

Frank84
05-29-2009, 09:29 AM
...so it's almost Saturday again. Anyone going this weekend?
yup! i assume it is at bill's again?

Ivar
05-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Will we be doing driveshafts tomorrow? I have one, but am not sure if I can make it. Why should I let a 20th wedding anniversary get in the way of a few hours of series fun.

Frank84
05-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Will we be doing driveshafts tomorrow? I have one, but am not sure if I can make it. Why should I let a 20th wedding anniversary get in the way of a few hours of series fun.

You don't need to celebrate the anniversary all day do you?

I'm sure the driveshaft could be added at a later date - my guess is that we won't be ready anyway. It's been a few weeks since I've been there though.

scatterling
05-29-2009, 04:41 PM
yup, it's at Bill's again and the drive shaft probably isn't needed tomorrow. Enjoy the anniversary.

Ivar
06-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Is there anyone near the King of Prussia area who can take the drive shaft up for me this weekend or next?

Unfortunately I have a two day golf tournament tomorrow and Sat (yes, I know, its a tough choice :) ), then have to work next weekend.

If not, I can take it to the shop on Sun or any time during the week after work.

Ivar

Frank84
06-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Is there anyone near the King of Prussia area who can take the drive shaft up for me this weekend or next?

Unfortunately I have a two day golf tournament tomorrow and Sat (yes, I know, its a tough choice :) ), then have to work next weekend.

If not, I can take it to the shop on Sun or any time during the week after work.

Ivar

My guess is that they can wait for the driveshafts unless it is convenient for someone to pick them up from you. The driveshafts can get installed at a later date.

scatterling
06-12-2009, 06:17 AM
Just thought I would share some footage of the progress so far. ;)

It's not easy to get everyone to move that fast though :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpTKTwEQksE&NR=1

Ken Heaton
06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi all,
Is there a Build a Rover this weekend? What is going on?:confused:

scatterling
06-12-2009, 03:38 PM
hey Ken,
yes the build continues tomorrow. We should be able to get the body sprayed and if all goes well the engine and gearbox installed.

LC Rover
06-12-2009, 03:58 PM
See you tomorrow...did you get the brake lines run yet:D

Frank84
06-12-2009, 05:27 PM
won't be able to make it again, but sounds like you guys are making some progress.

Ivar
06-21-2009, 08:56 AM
So I took this long relaxing drive yesterday to Lebanon to drop off a driveshaft and help (as in 'get in the way') again. But when I got there ... it was all closed.

It was drizzling, but I still had to drop it off. Dont know if I can be back next weekend. So if anyone is going there, or if anyone knows Bill's id on this site, please let him know that there is a drive shaft lying between the two workshops under some old landy door and window frames that were there. Unfortunately I didnt even have a plastic bag with which I could cover it, so its slightly exposed at the moment.

Ivar

LC Rover
07-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Is build a rover going to resume this weekend, or off for the the 4th

scatterling
07-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Larry, looks like no build this Saturday. Enjoy the 4th! See you next weekend.

scatterling
07-03-2009, 12:01 PM
updated photo's of the build.

http://picasaweb.google.com/scatterlingSA/BuildARover2009#

scatterling
07-13-2009, 08:17 PM
more photo's - from this weekend. Not many, but progress can be seen. The green looks really good. As always small, unforeseen snags seem to hold up the forward momentum, but it is starting to look like a truck again.
http://picasaweb.google.com/scatterlingSA/MoreRoverBuild#

Rob P
07-13-2009, 09:10 PM
yes, it is starting to look a lot like a truck again

galen211
07-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Where's the picture of that super awesome alternator? :D

scatterling
07-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Where's the picture of that super awesome alternator? :D

...I promise, I'll take a super awesome photo this Saturday!!

Landy7205
07-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Not trying to be a free loader here, but I can't help but notice that beautiful pastel green paint. Do you guys have enough paint to give my hardtop sides a spray? *(just the sides, I plan on keeping the roof limestone)

Painting has been very intimidating to me for some reason. Plus I've never used a sprayer before. And I can't bring myself to pay the shop prices.

I could prep them in advanced and fork up some cash that you fellas deem sufficient.

I understand completely if it's out of the question, but I had to ask.

Thanks again.

spechols
07-14-2009, 08:44 PM
I love the green!
NICE JOB:)

Frank84
07-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Nice progress! Thanks for posting the picts!

crazyfish
07-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Rustoleum Sage Green is almost a perfect match for that color. Rattle can it.

Ivar
07-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Kind of looks like mine ... Dupont pastel green 38504a.

I should check that I suddenly dont have any missing body parts :D

Ivar
07-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Dejava all over again ...

I went to the shop in Lebanon on Sat and it was closed, so I dropped off yet another refurbished prop shaft. 'Hid' it between the two buildings under some sheet metal. Please let the powers that be know about this so they can retrieve it.

How do we know when weekends are cancelled? Can someone post it on this forum?

Thanks,

Ivar

Frank84
07-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Ivar -

I'm not sure what the schedule is, but I'd email/call Tom B. before heading there. If you need his contact info send me a PM.

Frank