PDA

View Full Version : 73 Series III LHD $2500

sven
04-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Selling my partially dismantled S3. Its a North American left hand drive with 47,000-ish miles on it. Not sure if that's true mileage or not. Front wings, doors and roof are removed. Transmission was removed because of a seized throwout bearing. I have the parts but no time to but back together. Bulkhead is in "not-so-bad" condition, pass side needs new footwell (new footwell included). The upper section of the bulkhead has zero rust. Frame is original and passed inspection last year. Front frame horns should be replaced at some point but arent too bad (new horns included). Engine, transmission, transfer case, brakes and electrical are in very good shape. Cylinder head was rebuilt to unleaded last year.

Here's a partial list of whats included:

New Radiator
New Dizzy w/ Pertronix
Pangolin4x4 Alternator converiosn
new door tops
D90 mirrors
Summitracing heater 28000 btu
5 BFG MT 235/85/16
LWB Wheels
Various new weatherstripping
New frame horns (not installed)
Rebuilt head converted to unleaded
109 Front Brakes
New Master Cylinder

Probably more stuff I cant remember. Selling because my family time is more important to me right now than tinkering on a series. Plus my garage is overthrown with this series and I'd like the room back! I'll probably get another series in a few years when the kids get older and I'll have more time. Located in State College PA. $2500

Oh pics are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/SvenRover/S3ForSale# Keep in mind these pics were taken right before I took it apart. The softtop and flipdown tailgate arent included. Comes with standard hardtop and sides with sliding windows. Also comes with the regular swing open rear door.

Disco96JSWB
05-04-2009, 02:03 PM
This Rover is a good deal. About a year ago, Jake and I spent a day at Rausch Creek where Sven was driving this truck. Since it is partially dismantled already, and since nobody has jumped at it yet, I have an idea . . .

There are parts here I can use for my '51 project. I'm interested in the axles, the engine, the wheels/tires, and steering components.

That leaves a lot of other parts (fenders, grille panel, bonnet, doors, door tops, hardtop, seat box, rear tub, bulkhead/instruments/heater, chassis with title, Series III gearbox) that somebody else might need.

Anyone interested in going in on this and ending up with all those parts?

- Jeremy

sven
09-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Bump. Still like to sell this before the winter.

I'll throw in a another good running engine and a spare S3 tranny (unknown condition). I may even be able to help deliver, I have a small trailer.

solihull109
09-18-2009, 02:06 PM
What's your delivery radius?

sven
09-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Sale Pending

estique09
12-15-2009, 09:10 PM
i know the trucks are all basically the same and everything should just basically "flip" over in a mirror like fashion, but.... how hard is it and what parts need to be replaced w/ lhd stuff? is it much easier to do in a SIIa? thanks for your patience w/ a series noob.

siiirhd88
12-16-2009, 07:02 PM
A SIIa is easier (less expensive) to convert from RHD to LHD (and vice versa)due to the dash being generally the same for the trucks. A SIII has specifically 'handed' padded lower dash assemblies that are hard to find in good condition because of rust. The SIII dash wiring might also need to be extended (or shortened) to reach the opposite side of the dash.

The RHD and LHD steering boxes are different, but all of the steering linkage and mounting brackets will interchange. A steering arm will need to be installed on the opposite front axle swivel housing to attach the drag link.

The heaters are also different, since the coolant lines are on opposite sides, and the heater blower and fan cage are different. The late SIIa heater dash distribution box is also specific to RHD and LHD. You would need to cut the round hole for the heater air inlet on the opposite wing.

Some bulkheads will already have the pedal tower cutouts covered with a steel plate. Other bulkheads will need the openings cut out and the holes drilled to mount the towers. The throttle linkage on a LHD truck is much simpler as it doesn't use the bulkhead cross shaft (unless you have a hand throttle), and the pedal shaft and mounts are different.

If converting a civilian chassis the main problem will be the location hole for the steering relay. Factory civilian chassis and some military chassis only have one location for the steering relay. It is not a big job to cut out the relay tube and mounts and transfer them to the other side of the crossmember, but the reweld needs to be done correctly. The brake lines and clutch line will need to be replaced and rerouted to the other side.

Most aftermarket and some military chassis have both locations for the steering relay.

The LHD and RHD gear shift handles are different, but can be reused or bent. The parking brake linkage on a LHD truck has a shaft that crosses from the right side of the chassis to the left side where the handle is. A RHD truck linkage is simpler and has no cross shaft.

Bob

i know the trucks are all basically the same and everything should just basically "flip" over in a mirror like fashion, but.... how hard is it and what parts need to be replaced w/ lhd stuff? is it much easier to do in a SIIa? thanks for your patience w/ a series noob.

scatterling
12-17-2009, 07:01 AM
hey Bob, are you still planning on a trip to the galvanizers in the near future?

siiirhd88
12-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I would like to make a run but I don't have enough stuff to make it economical. How many parts do you need done? Anything big? Anyone else?

Bob

hey Bob, are you still planning on a trip to the galvanizers in the near future?

scatterling
12-17-2009, 06:32 PM
nothing huge. Front bumper, all the cappings and windscreen frame.

siiirhd88
12-18-2009, 09:40 PM
I'll start a new thread for a galvanizing run and see if anyone else needs parts dipped. Stuart has already e-mailed, so I know we can include him.

I need a bunch of odds and ends done, including a couple of windscreen frames and some cappings. I have to remove and straighten out some bent bits from the rolled 88 before we dip, though.

Bob

nothing huge. Front bumper, all the cappings and windscreen frame.