PDA

View Full Version : PA Land Rover Rally

rvrsrvc
05-15-2009, 09:25 AM
So, many of the folks on this site have been to the Mid Atlantic Rally for many years, have watched the changes of venues and possibly have followed some of the threads on other Forums about the pros and cons of the current version.
I feel it's a great event- and for some, it is highly anticipated as the only event they attend all year. I love the social aspect, the trail riding is slightly secondary for me, and some of the other activities are a bonus.

I would like to know what draws you to an event like this.

In the back of my mind, I believe that Rausch Creek is a venue that could host a large-ish event- on-site primitive camping, several good and fair campgrounds nearby, quality hotels, catering capabilities, and a variety of trails that can accomodate dramatic weather changes. There's a variety of attractions less than an hour away- Hershey Park, Lancaster Outlets, and more. And 3 Land Rover dealers that could step up if the right package was presented.

I'm not thinking of competing with MAR, but to provide another option that could become an annual event.

Thoughts?

Frank84
05-15-2009, 10:28 AM
This sounds like a great idea! I'm always looking for a reason to go out to Rausch so this would be a good excuse. I know a lot of people drive from far away to attend MAR, but it has always been just a bit too long of a ride for me.

What time of year were you thinking?

rvrsrvc
05-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Initially, I'd like to do an event this Fall. We're away Jan-Mar of next year and it would be hard to organise a Spring Event from Tanzania, but if a model is in place, I guess one could put it on any time of year.
I wouldn't want to "compete" with MAR, and in my mind, early October is ideal- kids are back in school, routines are established (for families with school age children), the foliage is changing.
The three local dealers often have their events at Rausch in late October- November.
What's the largest turn out we've seen at Rausch when we post on all of the Forums? 25-30? Not many to call it a Mini-MAR, but I suspect there are a number that are willing to travel to PA as opposed to 4-5 hours more south.

I would not want to make it difficult to put the event together, but I suspect some organisation has to be in place to make a presentation to RN/AB/Dealers for sponsorship. And maybe a charity? Or present the winner of the next Build-a-Rover with their car at the event?

Maybe we should start with a name for the Rally? Keystone Land Rover Rallly? Rovers at Rausch? Mid-State Atlantic Rally? RoverOwnersofPA? ROVERSclubRally?

solihull109
05-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Sounds pretty cool. I know that we've talked about a trip to Rausch Creek at the shop for quite some time now. We've also talked about going to MAR as well, but I think you hit the nail on the head. We don't feel like going another 4-5 hours to get there. It would take us about 12-13 hours just to get to Rausch Creek, so I think that's a rather interesting concept. I know that having a "larger" group of wheelers would be selling point for us too. We mentioned that it would be kinda boring just the guys from the shop wheeling alone, so I'm sure that if there was an...."event", it would a bit more appealing.(not that R.C. by itself isn't). Just my input.Good idea T.

Rugbier
05-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Trevor,

I think it is a great idea, I also think that due to some bad blood existing with ROAV, a lot of members who were forced to go elsewhere when the MAR took place at OR will without a doubt attend.

I am not sure what the amount should be for the BUILD A ROVER , but if we were to have 300 attendees and built on the cost of the Entry Fee , added few dollars to cover the Series, would be a nice legal solution, as it will not fall into A Raffle category, just a gift to attendeed numero XXX

I will volunteer my time to Keep the entries updated , info update , any financial related activity, present all members with a P&L after the event :cool: , etc

Ohh.. a good name could be Rovers East Coast Rally or Keystone Rover Rally or RC Rover Rally or.........

Disco96JSWB
05-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Trevor,

I'm all in favor of this idea. As a club, I'd say we are overlooking Rausch Creek as a resource.

Yesterday Jake and I were there at Rausch Creek to watch the King of the Hammers race (went up in the RRC). It's a fun place.

- Jeremy

Disco96JSWB
05-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Initially, I'd like to do an event this Fall. We're away Jan-Mar of next year and it would be hard to organise a Spring Event from Tanzania, but if a model is in place, I guess one could put it on any time of year.
I wouldn't want to "compete" with MAR, and in my mind, early October is ideal- kids are back in school, routines are established (for families with school age children), the foliage is changing.
The three local dealers often have their events at Rausch in late October- November.
What's the largest turn out we've seen at Rausch when we post on all of the Forums? 25-30? Not many to call it a Mini-MAR, but I suspect there are a number that are willing to travel to PA as opposed to 4-5 hours more south.

I would not want to make it difficult to put the event together, but I suspect some organisation has to be in place to make a presentation to RN/AB/Dealers for sponsorship. And maybe a charity? Or present the winner of the next Build-a-Rover with their car at the event?

Maybe we should start with a name for the Rally? Keystone Land Rover Rallly? Rovers at Rausch? Mid-State Atlantic Rally? RoverOwnersofPA? ROVERSclubRally?

This suggestion deserves a bump . . .

pma1420
05-19-2009, 09:05 AM
I would go. Fall is a great time that way I dont have to listen to frogs all night.

firemanshort
05-19-2009, 01:48 PM
I am not following the date choices....

MAR is scheduled for the first weekend in October. (Oct 1 - 4)

Are you thinkin PA Land Rover Rally (PALRR) for the next weekend?

I think Old North State has a URE! sometime around the second to last weekend of October (before Halloween). It is not posted, yet.

rvrsrvc
05-20-2009, 08:35 AM
I hadn't really picked a date; more like October is a good time to do an event. I've wanted to go to URE but it just hasn't happened yet. And that's back to the issue that peeps from the North are not always eager to travel another 7-ish hours from Harrisburg.

I'm trying to prevent this from becoming a logisitical hassle, but I would think at the very least a large tent to provide shelter from sun/wind/rain/cold with some tables and chairs, a dedicated group camping area on site- no facilities there except port-o-potties, and permission to have a larger than a campfire but not quite a bonfire central gathering place.

A number of people had commented on the strong turn out at the Spring Trials may have been related to the words "Open House". An invitation to come see the club seems to have brought out a number of new faces and Rovers. Could have been the weather too!
Maybe part of the attraction to RC could be guided mini-groups for stock vehicles, or technique demonstrations, or a simulated stuck with simulated breakage. Send out two teams with a variety of equipment and perform a Search and Rescue type event. Maybe a geocaching or scavenger hunt using GPS. Maybe RC would let us have one of the three properties for organising these sub-events without too much effort.

derekdilks
05-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Me likes a fall rally at RC, I've been meaning to get to MAR for the past 5 years, but can never make it, it's just too far

grnthng
05-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Would this be a week or weekend long event? And will this reflect on that Thanksgiving gathering that you guys have.... either way I would make the trip!